What's new

Port Aventura |"Shambhala"| B&M Hyper

D1993

Hyper Poster
Re: "Shambhala", B&M Hyper, Port Aventura 2012

Hm were still going to have to wait a bit to get details.
I think the ride looks plenty long, although I could have my bearings and whatnot mixed up.

Gazza

Giga Poster

To be honest, looking at the plans. It seems to go UP that Helix rather than going down it, the reason I'm saying this is because, it actually seems to go from a wider, to tighter circumference as you enter it, saying to me, that it's going up the helix. Plus, look at the supports just before, they're really low and not larger supports for it.

Why are people confused by the layout? It's pretty obvious the way it runs.
http://www.noticiestgn.cat/wp-content/u ... cnico1.pdf

Look at the 90 degree turn out of the station. Next to the lift the dotted lines are the supports. Notice the further down the page you go the longer the lines proportionally get longer and longer....A frame supports.

Also as for the rides name, I keep imagining as "Shambles".
Actually, I want that to be its nickname, that or Sham.

"After Khan and Baco we went on Sham"

Ben

CF Legend

Gazza said:
Why are people confused by the layout?

Because the level of the average IQ around here has fallen so hard it now lies somewhere around the Earth's mantle layer.

iblamefish

Roller Poster

I've just put the plan on a map so that y'all can see exactly how it'll fit into the park :)

I've also done some rough calculations based on these plans, and it looks like Shambhala will be 1.227 times longer than DK - making it around 5100ft/1550m which kinda fits with the rumours. I'd imagine it'll be a bit longer than that - but the variance between the two ride's peaks and troughs will be similar-ish, so I'd go with around 5300-5500ft.

Shambhala.jpg

Smithy

Strata Poster

And the fact you can see a catwalk alongside the lift....

Inverse

Hyper Poster

^^ Do you have a higher res version of your overlay you could link us to? It looks like nice work but I'd love to be able to see more detail like the supports as they give an indication as to heights along the ride.

iblamefish

Roller Poster

^^ I don't have one at the moment - but I'll make one later and post a link :)

EDIT

Here's a high-res PDF version. It's pretty big (25MB). The bottom of the map is missing - my laptop kept crashing if I added any more to it :( It's an editable PDF created in Illustrator CS5 so if you have that you'll be able to go in and edit it/take measurements.

Enjoy!

CPcisco

Mega Poster

-lofty- said:
To be honest, looking at the plans. It seems to go UP that Helix rather than going down it, the reason I'm saying this is because, it actually seems to go from a wider, to tighter circumference as you enter it, saying to me, that it's going up the helix. Plus, look at the supports just before, they're really low and not larger supports for it.

Martyn B said:
It seems to go UP that Helix rather than going down it, the reason I'm saying this is because, it actually seems to go from a wider, to tighter circumference as you enter it,

I actually think its going the other way to be honest.

You guys might actually both be right. It looks like you enter the helix right after you pull out of the second hill, and then you ascend in the helix. After you have done 360 degrees of ascension you start to descend again. This goes into what appears to be three bunny hops, followed by hill that takes a diving turn under the lift hill into a trench. Then out of the trench you get more hops and then it finishes off with an overbank that looks like the last one on Millennium Force.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Thats what I was thinking! I dont know which way it is headed though.
Can anybody pinpoint the station and lift hill on the plans?

CPcisco

Mega Poster

^ If you look at the 90 degree turn on the east side of the ride the station is at the top of that turn and the lift begins at the bottom of it. So the train travels south-east through the station and south-west up the lift and through the first drop, with a turn at the bottom to make it head south up the second hill.

In other words, it enters the helix on the right and exits on the left.

Hope that makes sense...

Shubinine

Mega Poster

Here's what I see in terms of interaction.

Lift to Lift interaction with khan

Drop to drop interation with khan

Hill going over khan's early bits of lift

And actually going over khan's drop twice.

Other than that I don't understand anything...

tucoaster

Roller Poster

lofty, as we don't know the height of each part of the ride, it's impossible to calculate the length of the track in a 2d map.

Nick

Mega Poster

Hang on, they've painted dragon khan! Well at least I think so. Bright white supports now rather than the old sky blue, plus the red looks brighter. When did they do this?

Also where the footers are, will this pass under or over DK at the point? Sorry if this is a daft question...

Also... how impressive does DK's drop look in the picture above! Crazy to think that this new beast will have a drop more than 100ft taller! Gonna be sweeeeeet!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

wow ive just had a look at that picture and it does look like dragon khan has been painted but not to sure though

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Nick said:
Also where the footers are, will this pass under or over DK at the point? Sorry if this is a daft question...

Actually, I think the answer might be "both". It looks like it crosses over itself as well as Khan in that spot, and I don't think the hill under the lift hill would be tall enough to go over Khan's, so I guess Shambala's lift will go over Khan's, while it will dive under Khan's lift on the return trip.

Sure to make Khan's lift even more exciting, in other words.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Nick said:
Hang on, they've painted dragon khan! Well at least I think so. Bright white supports now rather than the old sky blue, plus the red looks brighter. When did they do this?

I think its just the way the picture was taken, sunset, angle etc. As far as im aware DK hasn't closed yet as its halloween season so they wouldn't have a chance to paint it. If its going to get a paint job then i would bet my last tenner on it happening before park re-opening next year.