What's new

Plopsaland De Panne | Heidi The Ride | GCI wooden coaster

DelPiero

Strata Poster
On the plus side, it shouldn't spoil the view nearly as much once you're inside the park, plus it suggests we're one step closer to finally having the bloody thing open :)
Agreed, but the right side of the train is gonna have a fence as a view for half the ride lol.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's not the most pleasant view, but it could look worse and it won't exactly be an eyesore once in the park.

Could even make the experience a bit more fun, like some tunnels do?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ewww. Reminds me of the walkway at Chessington between Rameses and Pufari. It's Plopsa though, so I'm hoping they decorate it somehow.

mouse

Giga Poster
Will a wooden fence really sort out the noise pollution?

If only Alton had thought of that. They could've built one around the Roper's house.

balrog

Mega Poster
Not just wood, it looks like there is a second layer to it. The wood might be there mostly for aesthetic purpose.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Just be glad you'll be able to ride the damn thing. White Lightning is a thing of beauty, so a themed one will be much better already.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Will a wooden fence really sort out the noise pollution?

If only Alton had thought of that. They could've built one around the Roper's house.

Well... acoustics is complicated. That's as far as I can manage to boil it down. I took an acoustics course in university, but it's two years ago now. Let's see if I can remember the relevant bits...

Basically, sound is emitted as waves, like when you throw stones into quiet water. If the waves hit a hard enough surface, they will bounce back, otherwise they will propagate through whatever medium you put in front of them. Wood alone is not a very good "insulator", the sound waves will simply agitate the wood and continue the wave motion on the other side. A more porous material will dampen high-frequency sound waves a lot (since the wave motion will involve pushing air back and forth through lots of small pores, which creates friction that steals energy from the wave). A heavy, stiff material will dampen low-frequency waves (since the wave motion will transfer its energy to the material, whose stiffness will work against the motion and steal energy). Insulating against sound is all about stealing energy from the sound wave, really. There's a third method too that works with resonnance, but it's too complicated for me to explain here (especially when it's around midnight).

The closer to the source you put the sound insulation, the better. It's the same as blocking light, you need less effort to keep your room dark the closer to the lamp you put the cover. You can, of course, try to encapsulate the recipient of the noise (which is what is done with control rooms in noisy industry halls, for instance), but usually it's way more practical to insulate the source. At the source, you can even manipulate the direction of the sound (which is why trumpets look like they do), but only a few metres away, the waves would have bounced off enough surfaces to become omnidirectional and diffuse.

So in this case, the wooden fence serves two purposes: To give the sound source (the coaster train and its passengers) some insulation in one direction, and to "bounce back" the sound the fence can't absorb. In a closed environment, a one-sided sound barrier wouldn't work, the sound wave would simply bounce off some other surface and back in its original direction, but in open air, it will just dissipate away before it hits anything.

Also, it seems like the fence is covered with something on the "coaster side". Probably a material to enhance the reflectivity of sound, since again, wood on its own tends to absorb and re-emit a lot of the energy. This will have the side effect of making the coaster a lot louder to riders, though. Block sound from escaping in one direction, and you'll have twice as much of it going the other way.

Hope any of that made sense.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
At least, they won't have a car park as a view.
Might be a big plus for immersion.
Potentially, kinda depends on what the inside of the fence looks like.

Personally I don't like having my view restricted, I like looking at my surroundings while riding, and I'd argue that half the ride you're up in the air so your eyeline would be of the town and further horizon, not car park level.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't really like them, but if it lets them get the coaster operating then I can't say I'm too bothered.

They'll probably feel like the fences they have on sections of Balder:

Come to mention it, does anyone know if the fences on Balder are for a similar reason, or for something else?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Yeah, they are there to reduce the noise too. It's a city park so it has lots of residental houses nearby.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
As long as its not a tunnel there will still be a view and it will make it feel faster. I really see no issue here!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I found these and thought they looked jubilant
painting-with-light-Heidi-Roller-Coaster-10.jpg

painting-with-light-Heidi-Roller-Coaster-2.jpg

painting-with-light-Heidi-Roller-Coaster-4.jpg

painting-with-light-Heidi-Roller-Coaster-6.jpg

source

nadroJ

CF Legend
Good use of the word 'jubilant' and yes, yes they do. Haters gonna hate, I think this looks fab scream guard or no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk