What's new

Pleasure Island Closed.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Good news!

CLEETHORPES' Pleasure Island Theme Park could reopen following its shock closure yesterday.

As reported on www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk, yesterday morning staff were told that their employment with the seaside attraction had been terminated and park visitors were greeted with locked gates and a sign saying that the park was closed.

However, the Grimsby Telegraph has learned that the closure may only be temporary while a takeover of the park is negotiated.

The Grimsby Telegraph understands that the present managing director, Melanie Wood, is currently in discussions to take over the park, breaking away from Flamingo Land – the major North Yorkshire theme park owned by her brother Gordon Gibb.

However, discussions between the two parties had stalled on a number of issues, leading to yesterday's closure.

Mrs Wood said: "Pending further successful negotiations between the two parties, the park should open again shortly."

Yesterday's shock closure rocked the resort with local businesses, staff and visitors alike expressing their fears for the resort's future if the attraction was to close permanently.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Hmm, it appears Merlin are jumping on board the Pleasure Island ship....

ALTON Towers Theme Park has offered Pleasure Island season ticket holders a discount on annual passes to the Staffordshire park.

It follows Wednesday's closure of the Cleethorpes attraction and the termination of its staff.

It prompted season ticket holders to voice their fears on thisisgrimsby.co.uk – claiming they had been left in the dark as to what was to happen to their money.

Alton Towers Theme Park has now stepped in to soften the blow for disgruntled customers.

The amusement park is offering a £50 discount to Pleasure Island season ticket holders, giving families and thrill-seekers alike the chance to enjoy unlimited days out for the next 12 months from £39 per person.

www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've heard that it's reopening this Saturday...

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^Thank you Ian!

A quick search found me this...

PLEASURE Island will reopen to the public on Saturday.

As reported, it closed on April 15 and staff were told their contracts have been terminated.

Today it has been announced that the major Cleethorpes attraction will open on Saturday.

A banner has also appeared at Lockhill Roundabout, Grimsby.

See your Telegraph tomorrow for full story and reaction.

From thisisgrimsby.com . That sites never had so much interest ha!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Ha! I'm sure it was a kind gesture, they did the same when Camelot went down didn't they? Said anyone with pre-booked tickets can use their tickets for Alton I'm sure.

I wouldn't be compaining, a cheap annual pass at Alton for missing out on two weeks or so! I'm just gutted they closed over Easter, that would've been a chance to actually get some money. Hopefully the 'scare' will mean people will go back to the park now though. And I'm not sure whether this 'new' management is a burden or a blessing. Only time will tell.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is that in reference to the AT annual pass offer?

If so, I don't know. I wasn't aware of any Merlin involvement until you posted above.

I personally think it would be wrong of Merlin to cease that offer now the park is set to reopen. Besides, if they can take away a few of PI's visitors, they'll be quids in regardless so it would make sense to keep the offer.

How many PI season passholders can there be? 100?

Martyn B

CF Legend
Thats what I was thinking. Obviously the only people to benifit would be Alton, getting quids in and extra guests. Though I cant imagine many people bought the offer, I mean if you're an annual pass holder for Pleasure Island, you're probably not too much of a theme park fan :p

sean

Mega Poster
This is good news and defeats the odds. The closure was obviously a temporary set back but I believe that Melanie now has the guts and determination to make something of this little gem of a park.

Speaking to her a few weeks ago, she explained that she had some big plans for the park, she mentioned that as part of the five year plan, she will remove the go-karts, monorail and carousel and turn this area into a farm themed area...pretty much like Muddyduck farm at Flamingoland, converting the building that houses the carousel into a petting farm. Obviously aimed at the youngsters and this would certainly be a good stepping stone to start with. She also wants to do something with the entrance street, at the moment, you walk down it with nothing much happening, no real atmosphere...Melanie intends to work on this and create an atmosphere for guests to feel good as they enter the park. She also stated that she has other big plans but was reluctant to reveal anything just yet. Melanie appears to be an astute businesswoman but I think she really was held back with the ties to Flamingoland. Let's hope Melanie can find the resources to make this park bounce back with a vengeance.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
PI is a very stale park. I've visited once in 2006, possibly 2005, but it was forgettable.

Doing a quick search on CF, PI has hardly cropped up in any topics (yes, I know we have an unfortunate Thorpe/Alton/Cedar bias) so that says to me, there's bugger all going for it.

Cutting the ties with Flamingoland can only be a good thing. We've seen Flamingoland improve in the last few years (in my humble opinion), which is why it appears that PI has been left to rot.

The most exciting this about this is that Wood is untested. There are no expectations and she can only improve on what is, let's be frank about it, a uninspiring field with a few rides on it.

An interactive entrance would be certainly help and a petting zoo is always a nice touch, but do I really want to be welcomed by the smell of goat piss?

I'm happy it's all been sorted out and that it is reopening on Saturday but I'll watch from a distance, check it out at the Live and won't hold my breath just yet...

Martyn B

CF Legend
she will remove the go-karts, monorail and carousel and turn this area into a farm themed area...pretty much like Muddyduck farm at Flamingoland

When I first started reading that, I was like FINALLY, them awful Go-Karts and ridiculously big Monorail are going, that'll make loads of room for some new attractions.... and then you mentioned a farm :roll:

sean

Mega Poster
^Yeah, I know it sounds disappointing Martyn to the likes of us enthusiasts but from a business point of view, it's wise.

The muddyduck type of area will appeal to the families and youngsters, thats obvious, but it will generate interest and boost gate attendance, this in turn should generate more profit to put back into more adventurous investments. I know we're talking a timescale of many years and it is all speculative that this area will be successful, but you do have to speculate to accumulate, every business does. Just because this new area is first on the list of things to do doesn't mean that she will forget about the thrill rides. Shrieksville may not be the new 'Haunted House' ala Alton Towers, but it's a decent dark ride and is more than adequate for such a small park and is a great start for Melanie as the new owner. I believe that Melanie will also invest in more thrill rides to bolster the already excellent line up of Pendulus, Alakazam, Hydromax and Hyper Blaster. She has got some big plans, of which she was not yet ready to discuss to me, but I do sense another roller coaster.
Ian is right though, I don't think we can get carried away, we have to watch from a distance and just hope that big things happen and that Melanie proves to us that she is the astute businesswoman I hope she is.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
What is anyone's opinion on the POTENTIAL of the Pleasure Island site? Could it be a Fantasy Island, or is it more likely to end in Frontier Land...?

Jake

Strata Poster
I don't think this park will ever see a huge increase in visitors without a heavy (unrealistic) amount of investment. It's one of those parks people will visit as part of a 'holiday' in the resort area, and will visit regardless of what attractions are there/what condition the park is. I just can't see people making the effort from a distance unless masses of additions are made, and even then it'll be difficult as the park isn't well known out of the area, meaning they'll have to build up a reputation first. In my opinion, we have another Southport here... I just hope that unlike Southport they give up soon whilst they have some dignity left.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think the park will continue to plod along as it is. Which is a shame in a way as it does have potential, lots of space, and not many planning restrictions (by the looks of things).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^You should come over and visit our version of Pleasure Island. I haven't been yet, but I'm sure it could easily rival anything that Disney could possibly offer.

sean

Mega Poster
Jake said:
I don't think this park will ever see a huge increase in visitors without a heavy (unrealistic) amount of investment. It's one of those parks people will visit as part of a 'holiday' in the resort area, and will visit regardless of what attractions are there/what condition the park is. I just can't see people making the effort from a distance unless masses of additions are made, and even then it'll be difficult as the park isn't well known out of the area, meaning they'll have to build up a reputation first.

Good point actually. Considering there is little else in Cleethorpes to do, Pleasure Island is something for holiday makers to look forward to :p

Jake said:
In my opinion, we have another Southport here... I just hope that unlike Southport they give up soon whilst they have some dignity left.

Well, I think we have to give the park a chance first. Without Dingoland interfering with PI business, the park may actually get somewhere.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
sean said:
This is good news and defeats the odds. The closure was obviously a temporary set back but I believe that Melanie now has the guts and determination to make something of this little gem of a park.

Speaking to her a few weeks ago, she explained that she had some big plans for the park, she mentioned that as part of the five year plan, she will remove the go-karts, monorail and carousel and turn this area into a farm themed area...pretty much like Muddyduck farm at Flamingoland, converting the building that houses the carousel into a petting farm. Obviously aimed at the youngsters and this would certainly be a good stepping stone to start with. She also wants to do something with the entrance street, at the moment, you walk down it with nothing much happening, no real atmosphere...Melanie intends to work on this and create an atmosphere for guests to feel good as they enter the park. She also stated that she has other big plans but was reluctant to reveal anything just yet. Melanie appears to be an astute businesswoman but I think she really was held back with the ties to Flamingoland. Let's hope Melanie can find the resources to make this park bounce back with a vengeance.

So basically what you're saying is PI is getting dueling tilt coaster and 4d coasters next year?

On a more serious note, Pleasure Island has resumed operation, and all of the staff member that I know were offered their jobs back. Living fairly close to cleethorpes (15 minute drive) I know a lot of people who have confirmed a visit this year because of the "scare" of it closing. But above posts are correct, people visit pleasure island when thy're in the area or if they live here and have nothing to do for the day, only a huge new attraction is going to change that, and people who visit now will keep visiting regardless of new anythings.

As long as they start making money again I think they'll be fine, though. And if making a petting farm and a new entrance is going to help towards that then so be it!