What's new

Pleasure Beach Sued for £200,000

alexr

Hyper Poster
Pleasure Beach are being sued for up to £200,000 due to someones husbands health being exposed to asbestos dust and fibres
A GRIEVING wife whose husband committed suicide after developing a deadly lung disease is suing Blackpool Pleasure Beach for up to £200,000.

Christopher Duck hanged himself in December last year after being diagnosed with terminal, malignant mesothelioma.

Mr Duck who was a joiner, worked in maintenance at the fun park for more than 10 years between 1989 and 2000.

Now his family have taken the case to the high court claiming his illness was caused by exposure to asbestos dust and fibres during his years working there.

A High Court writ has been issued to the Pleasure Beach on behalf of the family’s solicitor.

His widow Valerie, who lives in South Shore, has branded the company “negligent” saying it failed to provide protective clothing and washing facilities.

She says she spent more than 1,000 hours caring for her husband in the six months before his death and believes he could have lived another decade.

Mr Duck was found hanged three months after being diagnosed. The writ states: “He hanged himself, in a state of despair because of his impending death from mesothelioma.

“Hours earlier, he had discharged himself from hospital after becoming very upset seeing a patient with severe breathing difficulties.

“Although he had a history for anxiety with panic, he had no history of depression or suicidal tendencies, and he would not have committed suicide if he had not had mesothelioma,”

The writ details how Mr Duck developed a cough and breathlessness in 2008, and saw his doctor in June 2010.

He underwent tests, but declined palliative radiotherapy and chemotherapy. His breathing deteriorated, and he was admitted to hospital on December 10, 2010.

He became very distressed after seeing a patient with severe breathing problems, and discharged himself the next day. The writ claims exposure to asbestos was a regular part of Mr Duck’s job at the Pleasure Beach.

It says: “Many of the buildings on site contained asbestos, which was used as fire resistant panelling and for underlining ceilings, which he cut and drilled with power and hand tools.

“He was not given respiratory protection, except paper masks which were ineffective, and there was no ventilation despite the presence of asbestos insulation board.”

Mrs Duck has also accused the company of failing to warn her husband him of the risks he ran, and failed to heed the warning after other staff contracted asbestos related diseases.

A Pleasure Beach spokesman said: “We were contacted in May by solicitors acting on behalf of Mrs Duck intimating a claim arising out of the sad death of her husband.

“Her solicitors have subsequently issued court proceedings which are being dealt with by the solicitors acting on behalf of our insurers.

“While we were very sorry to learn of the death of Mr Duck, it would be inappropriate to comment on the allegations, which are under investigation by our solicitors

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... _1_3513310

Ollie

CF Legend
Re: Pleasure Beach Sued for £20,000

2 things.

1. Mr Duck? lol
2. Change the topic title. There's a slight difference between £20,000 an £200,000 :p

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, having a surname that is also a word, I object to taking the piss out of "Duck".

As a joiner he should have known the risks, however, there are tight asbestos in the UK so it's difficult to say who was at fault.

This could be interesting.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmm, very interesting.

I didn't think anyone who heard the word "asbestos" could possibly not quake in fear at the idea of working with it??? Any ideas on if it was brown or blue asbestos? Not that it really matters, both will kill you slowly and painfully. Though white asbestos is nowhere near as lethal - so the type is important.

I don't know if there's much of a case here for the death. There's absolutely a case for him developing asbestos poisoning and a pay out due for unsafe exposure, but... well, I don't know if there's liability for him killing himself over it.

I'm actually sitting here pretty gobsmacked though that PBB, or any worker, would consider dealing with cutting or drilling asbestos without professionals involved. It really is impossible to comprehend a lack of safety measures here.

We had asbestos tiles on the roof here that needed replacing, and nobody would touch them with a barge pole. We got a professional asbestos company in to take the old ones off and dispose of them - just fracturing a single tile and inhaling dust could be enough to kill you prematurely in 20 years time.

Actually, our company isn't allowed to sell products in the States any more as our old parent company was sued for asbestos contamination over there. They folded the US arm and escaped prosecution, but if they ever try to open up again, then there could be trouble. I also come from the town where the dangers of asbestos where first exposed to the UK, so I may know a little more about this, having spent my school years walking over a field that was later discovered to be an old asbestos dump :lol:

Still, it should still be a case that somebody should have known about the asbestos, somebody should have known how to work safely with it (if left alone, it's generally considered pretty harmless) and somebody should have stopped working until the risk was properly assessed. Health and Safety says that the exposure to danger lies with both the company and the worker. If you have concerns, then you should not do anything until it has been cleared by the companies H&S advisor. Of course, Mr Duck may not have known it was asbestos at the time - if he did though, he should have refused to work with it.

So yeah, very interesting...

Jake

Strata Poster
Aww, that's one less fountain next year then :(.

Poor Amanda. I hope they don't get spited.

... or, they do, and Amanda takes a chainsaw to Nash because a new fountain takes priority <3.

Lofty

CF Legend
I think that the main rides with Asbestos is Gold Mine and River Caves. I remember reading an article after the rumour about Gold Mine becoming interactive that said something along the lines of: "The risk for the staff of converting these rides is too high". It also said something along the lines of it being caused because of Asbestos.

To be honest, it's a tragedy, not only did he get diagnosed with it, but he then took his own life. The thing is, although we know HOW he got the lung cancer, How many other people suffer through it? A lot. This coming from someone who has sen a number of people pass from it. I don't understand how they can sue Pleasure Beach for someone taking their own life. It's going to be an interesting case to follow!

kimahri

CF Legend
We had a dolt at work ring in saying he had lung cancer and and plerual plaques and **** and wanted compensation, shame he had no exposure to asbestos and smoked 50 a day. :|

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It would not surprise me in the slightest if management at the park had been that irresponsible. But leaving it this long and the wife kicking up a **** after his dead is ridiculous. She should be ashamed.

Dave

CF Legend
-lofty- said:
I don't understand how they can sue Pleasure Beach for someone taking their own life. It's going to be an interesting case to follow!

Well if you read the article it's not over taking his life, it's the breathing of asbestos that lead to the cancerous illness that was a result of that. He took his life to not go through the pain of a slow and painful death.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^True, but he didn't die because of the asbestos, so can his family actually sue? That's what people are questioning.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
It's not so much suing because of his death, but moreso that he was put in such position in the first place. I don't know the ins and outs of working with asbestos, but I'm sure there are pretty tight regulations that all companies have to adhere to to protect their staff. If Pleasure Beach are found guilty of breaching these regulations, then they are liable.

Yes he took his own life, but only because of Pleasure Beach's negligence - if found guilty might I add.

For instance, let's hypothetically say someone is left paralysed after an incident at any park. These injuries later lead to that person taking their own life - are said park responsible for their death? No, but they must take responsibility for the events which lead to it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk