What's new

Pleasure Beach Blackpool PTR 24/08/09 (Page 2 TR 25/10/09)

Brookes

Giga Poster
Yesterday for my 16th birthday I went to Pleasure Beach Blackpool with my family, nana and granddad, and cousin and uncle. I had only been to there once before and that was not for a full day when I was able to pop in for about an hour and get a ride on Infusion and PMBO last year.

So, we set off at about 9:30am to meet a traffic jam on the motorway which we had to make our way round taking up some time. Seeing as we had aimed to get there for opening at 10:30am, it wasn’t looking like we were going to get there at that time. So, after getting a different way we finally got there at 11:30am. We parked the car and walked down to the entrance.

We had pre-booked our wristbands and I found it confusing how it said park entrance, but then you had to go into a different building to get your tickets, was a bit confusing and didn’t seem to be run very well, which was a continuing theme throughout the day.

DSC02967.jpg

Still we finally got in at about 12pm, and me and my cousin headed off to the first ride, Grand National. Loading was really slow the ride ops just don’t look bothered to fill empty seats or anything, loading bays are narrow and just bad, especially with only 1 train running on each side aswell. As for the ride, sat near the back, I rode the left lift hill side first and thought it was great. Little bit bumpy but not too bad to ruin it, lots of airtime coming down the drops, great ride, and we won. Hard to photo but got some shots around the back:

P8240009.jpg

P8240010.jpg

P8240011.jpg

Next up was River Caves which most of us went on, was a fun little boat ride even though the boats rock like crazy haha. Nice little drop at the end aswell. Us on it:

DSC02909.jpg

By now it was dinner time so we ate our sandwiches which we had brought with us, and sat on the benches next to the monorail which was our next ride. Was good to see all the park and got some good photos, my sister took some of them.

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02972.jpg

P8240012.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

Now I can’t remember the order that well, but I think we did Infusion next which was loading much quicker than Grand National which meant the queue went quicker, it wasn’t that long anyway.

P8240015.jpg

P8240016.jpg

P8240018.jpg

I couldn’t really remember what it was like but I remembered I hated the restraints which I still do. As for the ride, got front row, it was a little bit ear bashing, but it was really forceful and a fun ride, especially over water. I have only done the one SLC, but I think it looks one of the better ones with all the water. Also, got ORP, as you see it cousin left, me right:

DSC02994.jpg

Next up was Irn-Bru Revolution. We got up to the top and it’s crazy how the whole station wobbles when it launches, and ride-ops were just riding it themselves on loads of goes, when there were empty seats. And one got on and swapped with another one on the other end which was cool.

P8240021.jpg

As for the ride the drop took me by surprise, especially backwards, and the loop backwards was brilliant very forceful. Really good ride overall.

P8240014.jpg

Next was Avalanche which I didn’t think would be that good as I remember Schweizer Bobbahn (Europa) not being very good and I thought this wouldn’t be either. But I got front car by myself and it was fantastic, really fun ride. Probably the smoothest aswell which was probably why I liked it so much.

DSC02919.jpg

P8240019.jpg

Next was Steeplechase, red side first, god I never expected this to hurt so much. The seatbelt dug into me on some turns which meant parts of it weren’t very enjoyable, but some of it was quite fun.

Seeing as Big Dipper is closed, Roller Coaster was open and I had heard good things about this so expected it too be quite good. Well I was wrong, no airtime whatsoever was quite bumpy aswell and there was really slow loading which just makes the queue bigger which is annoying. I didn’t know there were brakes in the tunnel either and wasn’t holding on and the restraint went straight in me, not good. So overall, ok ride, doesn’t really do anything though.

DSC02966.jpg

P8240013.jpg

We all met up then as my mum, sister, nana and granddad had been doing smaller rides, and had an ice cream which was nice. Then me, my cousin, nana and granddad went on Gold Mine. It was pretty good and was cool how it went over river caves, and through the café.

Next up was my 70th coaster, Zipper Dipper! Was a fun little ride probably more airtime than rollercoaster, not a lot of room in the car though haha.

After that we went to do Grand National on the right lift hill side this time. Queue was about the same with the slow loading, and it was much rougher this time. I put my hands up this time and they came straight back down after the first drop. Lots of pain at the bottom of the drops and wasn’t enjoyable at all. Don’t know how I could have experienced such different things on each side.

Next we went to get a drink next to Wild Mouse so did that next. Now this was brilliant, it definitely lives up to its name. I couldn’t believe you just have a seatbelt, I didn’t find it rough though, just fun. The airtime on the drops was immense, and the corners where you just get sent out your seat are brilliant. Great ride, loved it. Me on the Wild Mouse:

DSC02988.jpg

It was now time to get a soaking as we headed to Valhalla. But we were prepared and wore macs for the first time ever and I’m glad I did. We got on and I couldn’t believe the amount of water at the bottom of the boat. Overall, the ride was fantastic, the drops were great and the effects were brilliant. Just my feet were soaked, so I was glad I wore a mac.

By this time we had about an hour and a half left until closing to get on the Big One and the other two Steeplechases. So we thought we better do the Big One, seeing as my cousin hadn’t been on it before and had been building up to it all day.

P8240007.jpg

P8240017.jpg

We got in the queue which was probably joint longest of the day with Valhalla, which wasn’t surprising. So we got on near the front and headed up the lift hill. I was speaking to him all the way up to keep him occupied as he was a bit scared of the height.

P8240020.jpg

Then we reached the top and experienced the great drop, a bit rougher than I remembered. The rest was a bit bumpy, but just good for the height of it and everything that goes with it. We also got the ORP:

DSC02995.jpg

By now everyone was ready to go but I had to get the other two Steeplechases so got on both in about 10 minutes then headed out at the end of a great day.

We then went to a chip shop and had a really nice tea to end a brilliant day.

So overall I think PBB has some good rides but half of them are a bit too bumpy, which makes them hard to enjoy. To be honest I think the place needs a tidy up as a lot of it is dirty and messy. It needs to be ran a bit better aswell, as ride ops just don’t care at all, didn’t even check restraints half the time. It is a good park, but the rides are average and nothing is amazing. There is loads to do though, which made the day go really quick and we had a great day overall with 10 new coasters for me!

Ride count:

Grand National (Left)
Grand National (Right)
Roller Coaster
Infusion (Front row)
Avalanche (Front row)
Irn-Bru Revolution
Steeplechase (Green)
Steeplechase (Red)
Steeplechase (Yellow)
Gold Mine
Valhalla
Pepsi Max Big One
Zipper Dipper
River Caves
Monorail
Wild Mouse

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Great report :--D .

Well i may as well do my ride reviews :) (of the new rides i went on)

Pepsi Max Big One

Well very intimidating ride, we got on and i was a bit afraid of the height so Brookes jsut talked to me until we got to the top and once you are up there you can see for miles all around. Great first drop but after that it's all a bit rough and a bit boring.

7/10

Infusion

I was looking forward to this. After a short queue we got on front row. Ive never been on a Vekome SLC, and all i hear is bad reveiws, but i thought it was a great ride, with a great first drop. But as Brookes said, the restraints were horrible, they stop you from putting your arms up so you just have to sit there holding onto the stupid handles.

9/10

Irn-Bru Revolution

Didn't really know what to excpect from this. The drop gives great airtime, then with a forceful loop and back up gives good airtime. Then for the backwards bit, i thought it was great! The backwards loop gives great forcefullnes. Also, with Nemesis at Alton being so unfurceful latley with going so many times it was good to feel a forcefull loop.

8/10

Avalanche

Well, got a seat on my own so there was lots of room, to go flying around the corners, not much to say about this on except the last helix was good and as i just said, on the corners i went flying!

7/10

Valhalla

Well, amazing ride! We had macks on and i was so gratefull for it! The effects were brilliant all the way around, the themeing was brilliant, and the drop at the end is IMMENSE!

10/10 :--D

Great day.

Ollie

CF Legend
Nice PTR. Not sure I agree with your ratings though. The coasters at the park are ageing really fast now. I didn't enjoy any of the coasters there as much as I remembered last time I went.

Valhalla is an amazing water ride. You certainly got that right. :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
You probably didn't like Rollercoaster that much due this being your first ride, and you are yet to ride Big Dipper? Its bascially just a smoother, nicer, tamer version of Big Dipper, that doesn't snap your spine. And with the old trains, it didn't have any restraints, at all, so you were free to do what you like!

The older generation appreciate RC more than the younger.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
I preferred RC to the Big Dipper last time I rode it; couldn't judge this time as both were closed (and this was before the accident...)

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Never rode RC as it was closed, but I loved Dipper. RC doesn't look as good, but I'll have to find out for myself one day. Glad to see someone else who likes SLCs...or at least this one anyway

A

Anonymous

RollerCoaster has run rings around the dipper since the arrival of the 'new' train, which lead to my endless ranting about its SBNO status for 2009. However, its been open almost as much as its been closed, which proves a point in itself.

There are 2-3 seats where the bar drops during the ride, other than that, so long as you dont stapple yourself, you'll have one of the finest rides on the park, especially on the return leg. No airtime? I can only assume you pulled the bar down, them forced it down some more!

Ash

A

Anonymous

Clearly, your wrong then, as its faster than the Big Dipper lol.

Brookes

Giga Poster
How just because it's faster than Big Dipper does it not make it slow? In my opinion I found it fairly slow and boring, and opinion can't be wrong. The end.

STC

Mega Poster
Great report, glad to hear you share my views on the absolute amazingness that is the Wild Mouse!

But grrrrrrrrr, Blackpool still calling PMBO "Europe's tallest & fastest" was funny at first, but now it's annoying me. If they do it much more I am gonna complain to advertising standards.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
It is anoying in the station when they play it every 10 seconds. Aswell as saying the steepest, despite the fact that it has a 60 degree drop, while Oblivion, numerous Eurofighters and Mumbo Jumbo all have much steeper drops, to name just a few.

Agree, Wild Mouse is amazing, thrid best coaster there after Nash and Irn Bru.

STC

Mega Poster
I'd say it goes:

Nash
Wild Mouse
Big Dipper
Avalanche
Irn-Bru
PMBO
Steeplechase
Rollercoaster
Space Invader
Infusion

I wouldn't say any of those rides are "bad rides" though (except the god awful Infusion), I thought Space Invader was a damn fun little thing when it was open to be honest. PMBO still ranks quite high, as it would be hard not to with a drop that big, but is the only one there that's a massive dissapointment!

But seriously, Europa should sue them to hell for the tallest, fastest, steepest crap. I'm quite shocked neither Alton in '98 or Thorpe in '09 bothered protesting about it...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
^Or Mingo Land '09^
I say it goes
Nash
Revolution
Wild Mouse
Dipper
Infusion
PMBO
Steeplechase
Rollercoaster.

Nothing is bad, I like Infusion and PMBO may be crap but has soemthing special about it. Everything PMBO upwards is much better than the last two, though.

On Saturday they had stopped the stupid anouncement, but it still says tallest and fastest on the photo sleeve. It's not even fastest in UK, let alone Europe, and if they go off sea hight, then everything at Alton Towers is taller.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
They say that on PMBO AND Infusion! Neither of them are even close to vertical though. Also Infusion pulls 33 Gs according to the message in the station.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I never noticed it on Infusion, but we did just walk on 3 times in a row...that was enough head bashing for the day :)