Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The other ones that can't really do anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't vote.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
He's publicly said he supports Israel. It's more the "War on Christmas" and the God has told me I will save this country Bull ****. It's a clear non-separation of church and state and it just bothers me. I understand you believe in your religion but I don't want it shoved down my throat even more. Christmas music has been on the radio for the last 3 weeks...

peep

CF Legend
So Christmas being put in your face everywhere is a religious thing? It's really not, it's a commercial thing for peeps to buy too much rubbish and for everyone to have a good time. Go back to before the Victorian era for it to be totally about religion :p

But yeah, I don't want any religion pushed down my throat, luckily we don't get that sh*t in UK politics. It's bad enough having Jehovah's knocking on our door all the time.

Glad that with UK politics CF has pretty much the same (sensible) opinion with them all being awful people.

kimahri

CF Legend
Christmas is still religious? I always thought the fact chrismas was continually blasted at you to be the offensive part, just like London 2012.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
Glad that with UK politics CF has pretty much the same (sensible) opinion with them all being awful people.

Actually, I think that's a sad thing. I think it's dreadful that our choice of people to run our country is a choice of this **** or that ****, but the nett result will always be the same "you're shafted".

Surely it would be better if people could say "I stand for this party because they will better XXX", or "I stand for this party because my local MP personally has assisted the local community greatly and hasn't taken the piss"?

Martyn B said:
Though I can never understand when people say "I will always vote for...." and "I will never vote for....", surely it's all about voting for the party that's policies interest you the most?

I totally agree when it comes to local elections. These are the people who immediately affect your life and the place you live in. Our local councillor is Labour, but the council is Tory. He's actually a really good "do gooder" type and really sticks his nose into people's business around the area he was elected. This may sound a pain (and it is when you're at the end of it), but it means that the immediate area I live in is looked after. It doesn't matter what party he is in, I'd still vote for him because he is actually interested in the people in his ward. Yet, he has less say in the running of Stafford because it's under Conservative control. National politics shouldn't affect local politics. I believe that it should be removed completely and the local councils run more as a business proposition than a government agency. A "how much will this person stick up for YOU!" campaign.

I understand why it's done the way it is, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't explore better alternatives. People can keep their political views and affiliations, just not use them as a stick to beat people with due to the "I always vote xxxx" tossers.

Gazza

Giga Poster
They're all a bunch of posh-privately educated oxbridge toffs. No matter which party you look at.
Quick question, but does the Labour party in the UK have the same thing as the Australian Labor party where a lot of MPs are from trade union backgrounds?

peep

CF Legend
Gazza said:
Quick question, but does the Labour party in the UK have the same thing as the Australian Labor party where a lot of MPs are from trade union backgrounds?

I think so.

furie said:
I totally agree when it comes to local elections. These are the people who immediately affect your life and the place you live in. Our local councillor is Labour, but the council is Tory. He's actually a really good "do gooder" type and really sticks his nose into people's business around the area he was elected. This may sound a pain (and it is when you're at the end of it), but it means that the immediate area I live in is looked after. It doesn't matter what party he is in, I'd still vote for him because he is actually interested in the people in his ward. Yet, he has less say in the running of Stafford because it's under Conservative control. National politics shouldn't affect local politics. I believe that it should be removed completely and the local councils run more as a business proposition than a government agency. A "how much will this person stick up for YOU!" campaign.

Surely this was something put forward for the latest police commissioner-type peep? Look how well that worked out.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Like furie said, there is a massive difference between a local MP, and the actual party he/she represents. So it is kind of tough to vote, especially if you like your local MP, but you dislike their party's policies.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
American politics is a choice between a party on the right, or a party even further on the right (was tempted to say Far Right, but I'll wait a few more years...).

As for me, I'm very into politics, so most people find it strange I don't support any particular party. I would say I am slightly more Conservative than Labour at the moment even though I'm from a very working class family who were better off under New Labour in terms of benefits and tax breaks.

I believe very strongly in democracy, so I always vote. Always. I was in a very difficult position the other week with the PCC elections in that I felt that policing should not be politicised and found the whole election a waste of tax-payer money, but felt strongly that I should still vote. I voted Independent. He lost. Nice chap though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ciallkennet said:
...working class family who were better off under New Labour in terms of benefits...

I've always found it irritating that people on benefits for years label themselves as "working class". That's not a dig at your family by the way; there are certain elements of my family that bang on about how proud they are to be working class when three generations of them have never worked a day in their lives.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
gavin said:
ciallkennet said:
...working class family who were better off under New Labour in terms of benefits...

I've always found it irritating that people on benefits for years label themselves as "working class". That's not a dig at your family by the way; there are certain elements of my family that bang on about how proud they are to be working class when three generations of them have never worked a day in their lives.

I was talking about child benefits more than anything else. My family is very what I would call "modern" working class: single mother, a few kids, struggle financially but somehow pull through, Mother working tireless and long hours usually for a crap wage in order to keep the household afloat, rented accommodation. I like it that way. I know probably better than people who are better off the value of money, and that's something I'll take through with me the rest of my life.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My general view of politics is that I find it mind boggling how people can feel affiliated with one party over another, and more mind boggling how those representing can be so, I dunno, enclosed? - with their structure of beliefs. When I look at political parties and what they stand for, I see bits and pieces of logic strewn across them all, with a whole load of crap also strewn across them all, some more than others granted... How is it that people are cookie cut? Am I the weird one? Or does no one talk about this because it's pointless, as "you've got to side with someone."

As Furie touched on, there's a difference between individuals and the parties they represent. When it comes to the UK, I think different parties, and people, do better jobs in different areas.

I also find something depressing in that we basically end up voting for whoever represents our issue in life. Be that benefits, religion, sexuality... Etc. I mean, I do it, not criticising anyone here... But I just find it depressing, that it's all that politics really is about for most of us, because we feel like if we don't vote there it will hinder us.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I can't vote but I started paying attention to politics ever since I was 8, yes, 8 years old. I would be conservative if I was old enough to vote. The democrats want to make lives less free, less fun, and hardly anything to enjoy in life. The republicans are serious, but republicans understand that life was made to have some fun every once in a while and live life to it's fullest. The democrats want to make taxes WAY to high. What the democrats don't understand about taxes is that if taxes are to high you won't even have enough money to take care of yourself and provide yourself with not only wants, but NEEDS.

Snoo

The Legend
Dunno about all that Jason. I tend to want to live life pretty free.. and happy.. and full of all the wants in the world.

Of course, if you like guns, I could see why you have that stance.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^^I disagree. I think Democrats are pretty pro-fun. Republicans like having babies, going to church, and hating entire groups of people.. none of which are very much fun.

On the other hand, it is pretty darn fun to own assault weapons!

Jake

Strata Poster
Like Gavin said, Politics here are more economic than anything else. Generally, the social issues are similar for all the parties.

I don't actually like any of them to be honest. Labour are pretty vile because they seem to love red tape, making everything more burdenous and wishy-washy. I slightly prefer the Tories, but I still wouldn't actually bother voting for them.

The Lib Dems have pretty much destroyed themselves in the last few years.

So yeah, the issues that really matter to me aren't affected by who's in power, so my every day life isn't impacted at all. That's why I don't bother voting.

If I lived in the US I'd be a lot more concerned about it because the differences between the big 2 are so huge and the results are always really tight. Although I don't know much about American politics, I'm sure that even though Obama is in 'power' he still gets spited when trying to put anything through? Meh.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Snoo said:
Dunno about all that Jason. I tend to want to live life pretty free.. and happy.. and full of all the wants in the world.

Of course, if you like guns, I could see why you have that stance.

What they NEED to do is get the mentally ill people therapy so they don't do the **** they do with guns. Guns are ment for hunting animals, not murdering people. If one of there friends or relatives who are normal need to get them theropy. They don't need to take away guns. I've never used or interested in guns in my life. I don't mind guns unless people go around shooting people! That's why people just need theropy.

SIMPLE.

@madhjps, I beleive in Jejus and God, but i'm not very religious. In fact, I only went to church once in my life. I'm certainly friendly to Christan and Atheist, or people who are non religous like me, I don't care who they are, as long as they are nice. Oh and babies, we don't really care about that, as long as you don't abortion them.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
How do you tell if people need therapy until they go shoot up a school?

But, agree with you, people need therapy. Free health care isn't something the republican's like though... ;)

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
How do you tell if people need therapy until they go shoot up a school?

But, agree with you, people need therapy. Free health care isn't something the republican's like though... ;)

That dude at Sandy Hook WAS really messed up before the massacre, He always wore black clothing and always acted really strange.

Oh and Columbine, those kids where always wearing trench coats and looked like f'ing Batman villians, and AGAIN they acted really weird.

When I say WEIRD I don't mean like nerdy, I just mean strange. Plus you can just tell by how a person acts.

Obamacare sucks because all it is doing is raising our taxes and giving us something that we must have that half of us don't even need. STUPID.

Snoo

The Legend
Guns weren't made to kill people? Really? What other purpose does a machine gun have?