What's new

Parks With The Steepest Topography

metalhead7

Mega Poster
Something I never really thought about before, but I am always fascinated by terrain coasters and parks built into the side of hills or valleys. What parks out there have the steepest terrain? The two that come to mind are Kennywood and Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Isn't Six Flags Fiesta Texas literally built in a quarry?

0876k000020dqo15r000iu.jpg

Doesn't get much steeper than 90 degrees.

Ocean Park in Hong Kong is also rather steep, at least in pictures. Though, I can't really tell if it's split into two relatively flat parts separated by a hill, or if the park is actually in a hillside.

As for the park where you have to do the most walking up and down hills to get anywhere... well, probably not TusenFryd, but it sure is up there.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Terra Mitica and Tibidabo come to mind. And from those I've visited, I'd probably say SFMM. Also, there are plenty of little parks in Europe that have a ride or two on top of a mountain.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
SFMM wouldn't be bad to throw in too. I mean, it does have a mountain. And it's magical.

Six_Flags_Magic_Mountain_overview.jpg

ignace

Mega Poster
Familypark Neusiedlersee, Liseberg and Tusenfryd are quite a challenge for those who don't live in the Himalaya's.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Liseberg requires two escalators to get to the top end of the park, that's pretty steep.

mouse

Giga Poster
Ocean Park in Hong Kong is based around a mountain, with the two areas accessible via cable car (I think).

cable-car01.jpg

2012943418-90360114.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
People often have a bit of a misconception with Ocean Park in that it's two sections separated by the cable car. That's not strictly true. There are actually multiple areas, with the cable car getting you over the main hump of the mountain and away from the flat main entrance area.

These days, there's also Thrill Mountain, which itself is a flat area perched quite high up and best accessed by the funicular that goes through the mountain from the main entrance. From there, you can then walk down to the other areas, which are basically scattered over the western and southern sides of the hill.

There's no way for guests to access the southern side of the park without taking either the cable car or the funicular, though there are maintenance/emergency access paths connecting the upper and lower areas. There's an old entrance below the mine train area which is still used for coach trips, but is otherwise defunct at the moment, though it could obviously be used to evacuate guests from the park in case of some emergency.

The cable car only actually goes as far as the level this picture was taken from:

knr400119kc16i000g03l0.jpg

The station is much further to the left of where this picture was taken from, but at roughly the same level. To get down to Dragon and the other rides down there, there's no option but to take a series of hills and steps.

It's a similar story with the mine train and log flume, which are in a completely different area again:

j0v0002j942d20011n1m08.jpg

Luckily, these are accessible via a series of huge escalators - the second longest outdoor escalator system in the world.

Basically, it's a bit of a workout if you're planning to get everything done.

mouse

Giga Poster
Thanks for the correction, looks like a brilliant park :).
I remember seeing a trip report ages ago that had an area on a mountain with what I think was a KMG Speed on it? Can't seem to find it now but I think it was an Asian park, maybe Ocean Park. Wherever it was, it looked amazing...

rob666

Hyper Poster
Gullivers at Matlock Bath is very steep,
though it is sadly only accessible if you have kids with you,
no adults only groups permitted sadly.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Liseberg offers an escalator to get to the top of the "mountain", on Tusenfryd you have to walk up and down all you yourself. Can't speak for so many other parks, as I don't have that much experience with terrain challenging parks :p