What's new

Parks that have no outline

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Have you ever been to/seen a park that looks like it's in the middle of of a field, like on RCT3? At Flamingoland, beyond Velocity, it just seems to be grass. Superman at PWM sprawls out into nothingness. Anymore notable parks that have this 'feature'?

marc

CF Legend
A few in Denmark were like that as well, just in the middle of no where with grass all round them. As is miralundiland in Italy.

Treeis

Mega Poster
The gardens at alton towers seem to just go off into an actual valley not owned by the park. Its quite nice

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
6FGAdv is pretty isolated.
The backside of 6FMM is desert arroyos.
Wild Adventures is surrounded by farmland.
Knoebels is out in the woods.

There's a bunch of smaller places that are out in the middle of the woods, too.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Treeis said:
The gardens at alton towers seem to just go off into an actual valley not owned by the park. Its quite nice
Quick question, but has anyone ever gone right into the valley and kept going just to see how far you get?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Gazza said:
Treeis said:
Quick question, but has anyone ever gone right into the valley and kept going just to see how far you get?

You reach locked gates at the end. You can come up from the other side too and get to the gates - there's a rock formation there that people use for practising rock climbing.

It used to be completely open, but the gates were added and/or locked several years ago.

I've never been there to be fair, but I've read a lot about it while looking on the internet and reading local guide books trying to discover the source of the legend of Hex :)

Tripsdrill was very much a park that seemed to be in the middle of a load of fields and just kind of sprawled out into the countryside. Greenwood too is obviously similar, but in woods rather than fields :)

kimahri

CF Legend
+1 To Knoebels. it's in the middle of a vally in the middle of nowhere and is a perfect enviroment for Bears to come along and maul you...

It's awesome.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Here's Parque Warner:

12635_186543996679_1463732_n.jpg

(Look at the car park! :lol: )

spicy

Giga Poster
furie said:
Gazza said:
Treeis said:

You reach locked gates at the end. You can come up from the other side too and get to the gates - there's a rock formation there that people use for practising rock climbing.

Theres an old interesting trip report on TT here:

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... owers/105/

They went off walking into the gardens past the Swiss cottage, didn't seem to encounter any locked gates and found some interesting rock formations.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
spicy said:

They went off walking into the gardens past the Swiss cottage, didn't seem to encounter any locked gates and found some interesting rock formations.

It's much farther down than they went. Here's the report I read:
http://altontowersmemories.net/page12.htm

It's called King Ina's Rock apparently and it's on the wrong side of a security fence now for you to be able to reach it through Alton Towers' grounds. You may also have to trespass across some JCB land too in some instances.

The entire area is actually fascinating, with bits that used to be an actual marked attraction for the park now falling outside of not only the grounds, but split away by land owned by others. The whole area muct have been fantastic 150 years ago, it covers an enormous area.

BBH

Giga Poster
6FGAm has no central theme, but it does have several themed areas, the best-followed theme being Mardi Gras. But all of Great America's other rides don't really fit their themed "zone", Yukon Territory could give way to some excellent themeing but instead we have Camp Cartoon.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Lightwater Valley, which has rolling hills that seem just go on & on (especially when viewed from the Ultimate). Oakwood also has similar hills & the forest around Tree Tops that make it feel like the park has no outline. Then there's Marineland in Canada, where everything is so spread out that it feels like you could fit three theme parks within its borders. But the park that embodies this topic the most is Belantis, which for a relatively small park, just goes on forever. :roll:

Mike

Giga Poster
That's a fascinating read about Alton Towers.
I've always wondered where you'd get to if you kept on walking through he valley. and now I know!

Are any of the rock formations and the disused toilets still accessible, and is it against the park rules to actually go looking for these areas?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You can get to some of them Mike. Head down into the valley from Dark Forest and turn right. I must remember to go exploring there this year.

spicy

Giga Poster
furie said:
spicy said:

It's much farther down than they went. Here's the report I read:
http://altontowersmemories.net/page12.htm

It's called King Ina's Rock apparently and it's on the wrong side of a security fence now for you to be able to reach it through Alton Towers' grounds. You may also have to trespass across some JCB land too in some instances.

I've never heard of Ina's Rock before, thats a fascinating story about the Battle of Slain Hollow and how King Ina used the rock as shelter and held council there. I wonder how much is actually true, still a great story none the less! Would love Alton to create an attraction about the supposed battle of Slain Hollow!

Looking at this image:

slade.jpg

It doesn't look like the rocks too far from the Pagoda Fountain, although I don't know how to scale their maps were in 1870 :lol:

There are some steps along the woodland walk that go down into the valley that I have often wondered were they lead too, they may lead to a path which leads to the old rock walk?

Would love to go exploring all around there someday, the amount of history that surrounds the Towers is amazing.

Alton Towers literally doesn't even look like an amusement park from the outside, so definitely that. Knoebels and Beech Bend are two that stick out as well, because both are in pretty obscure locations. Beech Bend is literally like in a field in MiddleOfNowhere, Kentucky.

Those three are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
Six Flags America is surrounded by a forest and has a big area between Apocalypse, Roar, and Superman: Ride Of Steel. Also they have a bit of room near the Batwing area.