What's new

Parc Astérix | New family rollercoaster | 2025

Matt N

CF Legend
I also feel that 960pph is quite an overstated figure for Matterhorn Blitz, based on my own experience. It should be noted that 960pph is Matterhorn Blitz’s RCDB-listed theoretical throughput, which may not reflect reality; quite a few coasters with 4-person cars, including both Dragon’s Fury and Spinball Whizzer, have similar or higher theoretical figures listed.

When I went to Europa Park, I timed Matterhorn Blitz’s actual throughput at more like 750pph, which is not that much higher than something like Spinball can attain at Alton Towers. I’ve heard of Spinball Whizzer doing over 700pph on a good day, and I’ve seen it do that 700pph mark. By my reckoning, the 750pph that I saw Matterhorn Blitz attain is probably lower than all of Alton Towers’ Big 7 with the exception of Rita, and maybe Smiler if they’re only running 3 trains, and not all that much higher than what I typically see on Spinball.

As for Oblivion, I agree that its throughput doesn’t tend to much exceed 1,000pph these days, even on 6 cars/2 stations, but based on what I said above, I would say that it typically gets a throughput quite a bit higher than that of Matterhorn.

To put it simply, I think coasters with 4-person cars don’t typically attain overly high capacity regardless of how good their operations are.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just for you ;)

Would love to have seen Oblivion operate back in 98/99 an absolute capacity machine, can oblivion do more than Matterhorn Blitz? Probably but every time I've been and worked out its capacity its rarely got over 950pph.
More of a comment to how impressive Matterhorn is only having 4 per train and still doing just shy of 1000pph where as Oblivion has 16 per train (4 trains worth on Matterhorn) and matching or only just exceeding these days
Yes, it’s capacity is the same as Blitz on one station, which is how they’ve often operated it for the last few years. But every time I’ve been this year it’s been busy enough to be on two. To get a lower capacity than Blitz on 2 stations they’d have to consistently despatch at intervals of over 2 minutes… That’s not happening.

If you want to see it running at full pelt, visit on busy days like fireworks night. They do only usually have 6 of the 7 trains on, but 6 is plenty to hit that 2 trains despatch every 60 seconds target for 1920rph

I’m starting to warm to your sense of humour… You hate Merlin, you’ve made that very clear… But I think Merlin bashing is just a hobby to you at this point, and it is quite funny.

At least they care about their guests enough to plan a safe opening day though. 😛😂🫣

cookie

Giga Poster
I was at Parc Astérix this past Saturday and there’s been some digging happening on the site (you can see over the fence while on Menhir Express) plus a few steel frames where in the process of being erected. I’ll be heading back to the park tomorrow so I hope I can snap something up.

cookie

Giga Poster
I was at Parc Astérix this past Saturday and there’s been some digging happening on the site (you can see over the fence while on Menhir Express) plus a few steel frames where in the process of being erected. I’ll be heading back to the park tomorrow so I hope I can snap something up.
Probably misremembered or confused the steel frames with temporary safety railings, but a lot has been dug on the site. The former antique cars is long gone.

IMG_5398.jpeg