What's new

P-p-pick up a penny!

Picking up loose change...

• Yes, I pick up all the coins I find.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I pick up high value coins, not the low value ones.

• Nah, I ain't no scav.

• Total voters

jayjay

Giga Poster
I hardly see coins on the ground. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I generally don't notice that sort of thing. But if I saw one, I'd probably pick it up regardless of value. Money is money, and there's no harm in getting a few extra pennies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
tks said:
I don't tend to look at the ground when i'm walking around. So no. I keep all spare change I get though.

That means that you have a good outlook in life. You are confident of the future and have no need to be scrabbling around for pennies and hunting for opportunities. You know your future is good, and you bring your own life opportunities.

It also means that you're more likely to have shoes that smell of dog crap!

gavin said:
This has reminded of "the gyppo test" that my friend and I devised in primary school when we about 9. At breaks, we used to roll a penny onto the infants' side of the yard. The kid who picked it up would then be a gyppo. Very entertaining. Some "gyppos" would run after it across the yard, while others would look about cautiously to make sure nobody was looking before cementing their gyppo status.

That was really common by us too. Did you used to have problems with "travellers" in your area? We had massive issues in Widnes. If there was a spare bit of land, you'd find it covered within three days with gyppos (probably very politically incorrect now). They'd stay for a couple of weeks, then when the court order came through for them to move - they'd leave, and leave all their rubbish, dog crap, etc ,etc behind. They'd just move down the road to another spare site and trash that.

There was actually an official travellers site in the town though, but it did mean that the police knew where to find you ;)

It's one of those things, I know nothing about the society or how it works - just that they left a mess and it gave everyone a united front to pick on you at school (if you were scruffy or picked up money or stuff off the floor, you were a "gyppo").

I don't know if that helps explain things to UC, probably not as it sounds dreadful now in these PC days. It's not why I don't pick up money now, that's purely because I hate small change and I think picking things up off the floor is unhygienic :)

Gazza

Giga Poster
I previously didn't really bother picking up 5c pieces, but anything above that I would.

Nowadays I do pick up the 5c's, though the reasoning is a bit long winded.
More and more supermarkets here are getting the self serve lanes , and the bowl where you put the coins in is really cool because you can chuck in a whole handful at once and it sorts it automatically, so now my hobby is to collect a a jar full, and then every now and then take the whole lot with me and throw it all in at once just to push the machine to its limits.

tks

Strata Poster
furie said:
tks said:
I don't tend to look at the ground when i'm walking around. So no. I keep all spare change I get though.

That means that you have a good outlook in life. You are confident of the future and have no need to be scrabbling around for pennies and hunting for opportunities. You know your future is good, and you bring your own life opportunities.

It also means that you're more likely to have shoes that smell of dog crap!

Nahh I have this inbuilt dog **** radar. I never step in the stuff! :p Oh and that assessment of how I walk sounds like something you'd read in the Daily Mail horoscope section.

thx

Mega Poster
^Lol.

I MIGHT pick up a 1kr (0.13$, 0.08£) which is the 2nd least valuable coin here (will be the smallest valued in October?), but it depends, if it's like on a dirty road or on a clean shelf and if it's like in the middle of the bustling city, because I wouldn't want to like block people from walking, while streching down, lol, yeah maybe a bit silly, but anyway. The next coin 5kr, I would pick up anyday though.
As for euros, (which I like much more), I would pick up 20cents (0.17£, 0.27$) -> on the same conditions as above.

Rush

Giga Poster
If I can be bothered, which is very rarely. Once, on a baking day in August I went up to the shop for a cold drink but they'd put the prices up from a couple of days before leaving me 4p short. (I tried negotiating but they weren't having any of it.) So I went outside and spent five minutes looking for any spare change that had been dropped and managed to find two 2p coins lying around.

It was THE best can of coke, I've ever had.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I do because firstly I'm a poor scrounging student and secondly because I find something very satisfactory in being able to pay with exact change.

nealbie

CF Legend
I don't pick up money. But I do pick up dropped teddy bears on the London Underground and return them to children who are run over by their parents :p

Daniel Bill Kent

Mega Poster
Every penny counts, that's how millionares are millionares.

It's deffinatley worth keeping your eye out for change. I've found many £5-10 notes whilst picking up jewchange.