What's new

Orion - Kings Island Cred

littleLION_XXIX

Roller Poster
I know this question is a bit silly, but I am way too curious not to ask.
Do people who say that Orion is a Hyper in winter and a Giga in summer consider it as two creds if they would ride it in both of these seasons?

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Personally, I think people (KI fanboys) just say that to find every single excuse they can to say Orion isn't a giga, thus being able to continue whining that Kings Island doesn't have a giga, and keep being the entitled pricks that they are.

Yet again, this is coming from (probably) the biggest Orion fan on this forum LOL

JoshC.

Strata Poster
There are people who say actually say that?!

hahahahahahahahah

*deep breath*

ahahahahahaha

Oh, I hope enthusiasts never change. <3

To answer your question: you'd have to be really desperate to count a cred multiple times because the weather is different, so I'd imagine not.
Then again, you'd have to be really really desperate to appease people to suggest that Orion is both a Hyper and a Giga, so....

On a serious note, I guess this does raise the slightly more interesting question about how much temperature can affect a coaster. One would expect - or at least, hope - that any potential temperature-caused changes to the metal of coasters is taken into account when designing/building rides, likely in the flex that track has. But could it actually affect how the cred rides in any noticeable way? I'd assume not, but I'm sure I've been wrong on equally trivial measures.
(This doesn't take into account the fact some creds have different wheels for different temperatures and weather conditions too, which are more there in mind of making sure the ride doesn't stall, but as a result can indeed impact ride experience...)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
  1. Noone says this. And if they do, then you are casting doubt at Millennium Force, Intimidator 305, TTD, and other rides that have height and speed statistics at exact increment.
  2. Just don't worry about it. 🤷‍♂️

littleLION_XXIX

Roller Poster
On a serious note, I guess this does raise the slightly more interesting question about how much temperature can affect a coaster. One would expect - or at least, hope - that any potential temperature-caused changes to the metal of coasters is taken into account when designing/building rides, likely in the flex that track has. But could it actually affect how the cred rides in any noticeable way?
I just tried to work out the difference in height at a difference in temperature of 50°C. If I calculated right it would be something between 50 and 60 mm.

1. Just don't worry about it. 🤷‍♂️
I don't really do. It just interested me if people think that. I guess the answer is no.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I just tried to work out the difference in height at a difference in temperature of 50°C. If I calculated right it would be something between 50 and 60 mm.
Which is to say in "American" measurements, 122F of temperature difference equates to around 2 inches of expansion.

But to index this far more closely to realistic operational temperatures, anywhere from 40F to 100F (or 60F of temperature variance, or 15.5C), you're actually looking at 12.5mm of expansion potential, or about half an inch.

Put another way, the greatest criticism of Orion is that it's a Giga coaster by drop height alone (actual height being 287 ft.) - if you're going to gripe about difference in height, complain about that. :p

Peet

Giga Poster
While this whole topic is a clear and obvious example of somebody having made a joke online, and somebody else taking it much too seriously, I love the direction it has taken with thermal expansion calculations; I even did a quick check myself to see if I agreed with your estimates (I do)!