What's new

One-off coasters you want sequels for

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
A quote in another thread the other day had me thinking:
Fingers crossed for mine blower 2
I've realized that for quite a few years, I've waited for such "sequels" myself, for a whole lot of coasters. Occasionally, some park/manufacturer gets a brilliant idea and builds a unique coaster everyone loves. Often, this brilliant idea is followed up with more iterations that take the concept even further. Some of our most beloved coasters are follow-ups to innovative prototypes. New Texas Giant might not be the best RMC conversion anymore, but the others would not have come without it. Many of the best-liked B&Ms follow up the novelty that was Kumba. Mack shifted gears completely with Blue Fire, and is now a powerhouse manufacturer of thrill coasters.

... and then, other times, nothing happens after the prototype. One brilliant coaster is built, or maybe a handful, but the concept isn't explored further, despite the original coaster receiving rave reviews. And we're left wondering "why didn't anybody build anything like this again?"

The first coaster that springs to my mind is Cedar Point's Maverick. A brilliant "combo coaster" that seemingly had everything: A launched lift, a beyond-vertical drop, ground-hugging, airtime, a couple of inversions, and a mid-course second launch (I'm not sure if it was the first coaster to feature one, but it was certainly among the first). This style even had a marketing name: A "Terracoaster".

And yet, almost 15 years later, Maverick remains the world's only Terracoaster. Helix at Liseberg is a sort of spiritual successor, but it was built by a different company and doesn't feature all the "signature elements", if you can call it that. Maverick is still a crowd pleaser at Cedar Point, and sat in 11th place among CF's favourite coasters last year. It is clearly well-liked, but apparently not enough to copy. Why didn't anybody build more Terracoasters?

I've got a few other examples for future posts, but I'd like to hear yours first. Are there any other coasters you're waiting to see sequels for?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
And yet, almost 15 years later, Maverick remains the world's only Terracoaster. Helix at Liseberg is a sort of spiritual successor, but it was built by a different company and doesn't feature all the "signature elements", if you can call it that. Maverick is still a crowd pleaser at Cedar Point, and sat in 11th place among CF's favourite coasters last year. It is clearly well-liked, but apparently not enough to copy. Why didn't anybody build more Terracoasters?
If we're talkin about sequels, in the sense of iterating forwards, I think Maverick has very much had successors. Taron, Helix, Taiga, Velocicoaster, a whole bunch of these Vekoma blitz coasters, and even to an extent rides like Ride To Happiness, Copperhead Strike and Time Traveller. I think what Maverick showed was that you could build a world class coaster WITHOUT it needing to set massive records for height, speed, inversions, or whatever. You could building something that was just a solid ride and people would love it.

It's hard not to see motifs of Maverick scattered through those other rides. Thankfully, at least, the "terracoaster" name seems to have died!

I like the idea of this topic - I'll mull it over. Looking forward to seeing what other examples people have.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
(was just posting then saw hixee beat me to it)

^^ Surely a lot of the Intamin LSM models are spiritual successors to Maverick? You can arguably see some continuation in the likes of Taiga, Taron and even Cheetah Hunt.

To be honest, we all know there is only one correct answer here.

Need moar Aquatrax.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If we're talkin about sequels, in the sense of iterating forwards, I think Maverick has very much had successors. Taron, Helix, Taiga, Velocicoaster, a whole bunch of these Vekoma blitz coasters, and even to an extent rides like Ride To Happiness, Copperhead Strike and Time Traveller. I think what Maverick showed was that you could build a world class coaster WITHOUT it needing to set massive records for height, speed, inversions, or whatever. You could building something that was just a solid ride and people would love it.
Yeah, that's fair. I think what Maverick had that the others didn't is that "one of everything" feeling: Launched lift, beyond-vertical drop, ground-hugging turns and dives, airtime hills, inversions, and a mid-course launch. The others feature some of the same elements, but not all (Taron doesn't invert, Helix doesn't have that drop and is a bit inversion-heavy, etc.).

Plus, I guess, there's the visual element: that lift hill culminating in the beyond-vertical drop remains a unique element for Maverick, if I'm not mistaken. Most other beyond-vertical drops tend to come after vertical lift hills. Maverick's distinct silhouette remains unique, and reinforces the idea that there haven't been any real sequels yet.

But anyway, I have more examples: Lightning Rod is probably an even better one. It's a big, whooping woodie with a launched lift and a wild ride from there. No inversions, unlike the other RMCs (it's actually one of just two RMC coasters that don't invert, the other being New Texas Giant). The bit about hugging the terrain is a nice feature too, but strictly speaking not needed. Lightning Rod is as close as you get to a "traditional" RMC woodie, with a launch providing that extra kick into the first drop, but so far they've only built the one.

Then again, it's quite understandable why in this case. The "Lightning Rod reliability thread" keeps getting bumped every season, so I could see why RMC isn't too keen on selling another until the kinks have been worked out.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Karnan. It's been nearly seven years and despite building a ton of coasters they haven't come close to attempting something as ambitious again. Part of me would love another Gerst hyper to see how big and bold and intense they can go. But also maybe not because Karnan is too perfect. The speed/laterals/airtime and overall sense of scale is spot on. Bar smoothness I don't know how Gerst could build on it. Add the theming and soundtrack and it's such a lightning in a bottle coaster. I quite like it being a one off but man I'd love to see a sequel.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Tranan - S&S Free Fly - https://rcdb.com/4312.htm
Such a weird ride and unique experience. Seats dangled either side of the train that always keep you upright even on banked turns or barrel rolls. It's a really fun family ride and so different. https://rcdb.com/4312.htm#p=23704 Although the newer and much anticipated Axis does look at lot better.

Vekoma Tilt Coasters - Although that does appear to be in progress.

Vekoma Big Air - https://rcdb.com/8656.htm
That massive U shaped shuttle coaster where the cars still spin at the top of the spike. I don't even know if its any good but am curious to find out.

The Ultimate - Someone get another terrain hugging ride so wrong, its just so right.

Swinging Suspended Roller Coaster with corkscrews - Wouldn't it be fun if that could actually be pulled off.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I do wish we saw more stand-ups with a Zero G Roll. It's sad that the Intamin ones didn't do too well, would like to see a reboot where they just send it in terms of inversions. I still stand by the one on Shockwave being the best inversion in the UK.

I do think the other Intamin stand-ups did look a bit silly, with the coaster type designed for inversions only having one, but I'm not sure how those ride to be fair. Kinda wish a park (and Intamin) had the bravery to start up stand-ups again. And throw a ZGR into the mix.

Looking at the POVs for the major B&M stand-ups they feel like they're really missing something (which is a Zero G Roll).

Snoo

The Legend
We finally got the news at IAAPA that another one is being built, but I was waiting for a Chance Hyper-X to be built because Lightning Run at KK is phenomenal but no one had snagged one.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I interpret a sequel to be more theme based. Much like Nemesis & Inferno, they are different variations along a similar theme. And of course, they are both B&M inverts.

With that in mind, I'd love to see a 'sequel' coaster that dramatically improves upon the original version.

To complete the sequel trilogy to Towers' B&Ms, Galactica needs Galactica - Interstellar at Heide Park.

Could be an interesting creative challenge, this.
If Merlin really wanted to go hard, they could bring in Vekoma and make it a launched flyer.
Incorporate elements of F.L.Y (highly immersive surrounding landscape/architecture) with Nemesis style terrain work.
I'd keep the Galactica 'space' theme but add more of a dark narrative (think Alien) which can play out in the queue and within the soundtrack (like Tom Baker's Nemesis narration).

Of course, this would never happen but hey, it could make for an incredible 'sequel'.

Nick13

Mega Poster
Nemesis has Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park.
Oblivion has Oblivion: The Black Hole at Gardaland.
To complete the sequel trilogy to Towers' B&Ms, Galactica needs Galactica - Interstellar at Heide Park.

...oh, what do you mean not that kind of sequel?

Instead, they got a sequel (prequel?!) to Wickerman with Colossos and its centrepiece theming + fire on a woodie treatment..

I second Karnan, I would love to see a new ride like it, but unlikely any other park could pull it off as well as Hansa did!

Matt N

CF Legend
I know there have technically been 2 other Flash clones, but I'd quite like to see DC Rivals HyperCoaster get a sequel at some point. It got rave reviews, so I’d love it if Mack were able to attempt another airtime-filled, twisty hyper, perhaps on a slightly larger scale? (All Mack’s current hypers lie around the ~200ft height range)

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Personally, I've really wanted to see another massive, old-school wooden coaster on terrain (a sequel to Voyage, so to speak) for as long as I've been an enthusiast. It always seems like the world's best wooden coasters (barring El Toro) arise from heavy terrain - the aforementioned Voyage, T Express, Knight Valley's Wood Coaster, Lightning Rod, Wildfire, Python in Bamboo Forest, Beast, etc.. I understand that practically, a woodie of this size would become rough very quickly if not re-tracked on a constant basis (very expensive to maintain), but one can dream. Though if I'm being optimistic, the new track that Gravity Group put on Kings Island's Racer could be a solution to this - hopefully making a new, large-scale wooden coaster more affordable from a maintenance standpoint.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Oh, interesting to see I started this

As stated, something akin to Mine Blower would be cool, I like a good woodie with a cool gimmick, so I hope GG is doing or gets to do that soon.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
For an answer more relevant to the thread from me...Winjas.

Practically 20 years ago we get a pair of spinning coasters with some wild trick track elements. And then, nothing. Bog standard Maurer spinners forever more.

I'm sure from a maintenance perspective they're not the easiest things. But with how far technology has improved in 20 years, and with other manufacturers doing trick tracks and such more commonly, you'd think that somehow another one would have come to light. I guess it means there are some spiritual sequels now (especially with Intamin's multi dimensional coasters, a la Movie Studios at Movie Park Germany).

But yeah, I'd love to see Winjas Electric and Winjas Boogaloo.

Last edited: