What's new

On-Ride Coaster Effects

Nemesis's blood river. You do notice it, especially going into the overbank. Also, as everybody has mentioned, the effects on Valhalla are great.

Also, this is a bit random but, in the Pre-Show to Furius Baco, the effects are great, in which when you move forward and then back to lock on to the catch car, the seats vibrate, it's just really fun and fits with the theme.

Joey said:
Revenge of the Mummy has the best on-ride effects of any coaster. It's amazing.

This...

And not just the animatronics or the fire or the mouth of Imhotep on the launch (assuming the Florida version)...

But it's the little details, my personal favourite in Florida's being the shadow the quickly flashes in the staircase... I didn't notice it until my 10th go on the thing, and I love it...

Elsewhere... Hard to say really... I do love the effects on the ToTs... Especially the ghosting of the lift...

Would say the effect given by Madhouses (both Vekoma and Mack) are brilliant as well...

Hmmm, I need to think more about this...

I like Infusions water effects. Also the Mummy's effects are great.

The big ones original effects were good like inside the cans, They had strobe, smoke and chaser lights.

Maverick's effects, when it was first opened, made the ride THAT much better. I really enjoyed those rides and besides the one ride with all CF, hasn't been challenged since. It's a shame they took off/disabled most of the epicness.. well epic for CP that is. Same goes for TTD.. but they've retained much more from the original version.

^ Maverick's effects are still in the park... to the tune of Shoot the Rapids' mister being the original Maverick mister in the launch tunnel. :razz:

Well that isn't helping me much when I'm launching 70mph a quarter mile away now is it? :p

Nemesis Inferno said:
Limiting this to just coasters is a bit... Well limiting, as some of the best effects are on non-coaster rides...
Well the topic is On-Ride Coaster Effects. :wink:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Blue Fire. With the themed music, themed tunnel, smoke blast effect as the tunnel door opens & the heartbeat monitor built into the restraints, it took what Maverick originally did & up'd it a notch or two.

Of a special effect, I will have to go with on ride music. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and
Rock n' Roller Coaster did good with that.

Can darkness be considered an effect? If so, the newer WDW Space Mountain is better than
the older one. While going backwards, Everest is neat in the dark too.

Hmm, that I can think of, I don't know if it's really an "effect" per se, but I'd go with being launched into Flight of Fear's realm of near pitch-blackness, with only a few dim lights (if I remember correctly) lit up on the inside which tend to swirl around as you're thrown around the track - pretty cool.