What's new

OMG Riders Stranded as Big One Breaks Down

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Stranded for a 20 whole minutes AND lead down the evac/maintenance stairs. Just think what a story this would have been if such procedures weren't in place or people were injured!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This is clearly correlated to Alton Towers reopening Smiler.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I was actually more annoyed that they claimed they were 100ft up!! How tall is that brake run, isn't it 50/60ft?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Robbie said:
Edit - Moved to separate topic as this kind of media propaganda isn't meant for the stickied Industry News Articles thread. - ECG
Oopsy! Didn't think it warranted it's own thread!

Anyway, it's an acquaintance of mine that wrote the original piece in the Blackpool Gazette (which has now been revised to remove the "100ft" rubbish) and I know for a fact the scariest ride he's ever been on is Troublesome Trucks at Thomas Land in Drayton.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Not a problem. We don't have an exaggerated/overhyped non-news article thread and every time something like this gets posted (about once or twice a year), it's always stand alone so that everyone can post sarcastic replies. :p
Hope you don't mind that I created an appropriately sarcastic title.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Robbie said:
Robbie said:
Edit - Moved to separate topic as this kind of media propaganda isn't meant for the stickied Industry News Articles thread. - ECG
Oopsy! Didn't think it warranted it's own thread!

Anyway, it's an acquaintance of mine that wrote the original piece in the Blackpool Gazette (which has now been revised to remove the "100ft" rubbish) and I know for a fact the scariest ride he's ever been on is Troublesome Trucks at Thomas Land in Drayton.
Tell your acquaintance he's an idiot from me please! :)

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN, WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

Ha, in all seriousness this was trending on Facebook and it was worded so poorly I genuinely thought it had stalled due to the windy weather for a moment. But yeah, poor journalism right there.

mouse

Giga Poster
32CE1A3300000578-0-image-m-8_1459705444524.jpg
Absolute pandemonium. Thank God no one died.

I for one will be boycotting the park along with Alton Towers for my own safety. I don't know how Amanda sleeps at night when she knows she is subjecting her guests to dangerous rides such as this. How many more accidents do there need to be for us to realise that roller coasters should be made illegal? All the Theme Park apologists claim the solution is to just build more coasters to somehow reduce the amount of fatal crashes, but I just don't see how that would work.

Apparently 'Roller coasters don't kill people, people do'. Yeah, people that operate roller coasters.

Coaster

Mega Poster
It baffles me how that makes the news, anyone who knows anything about theme parks would know that stoppages happen on rides all around the world on a daily basis. The number of inaccuracies in the original article was laughable.

As for an evacuation from the MCBR, I'm jealous!

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
CoasterJamie1 said:
It baffles me how that makes the news

That's Uk news for you! In the Pleasure Beach documentary from 1997/8, the Big One stopped for 90 seconds on the lift hill, and a local radio station was already calling in wanting the story as to why it had broken down!!!

Could you imagine if Kingda Ka or TTD was in the UK? Every time a rollback happened, we'd have 2 weeks of news reports, people claiming the ride is unsafe, and people demanding it be torn down!