What's new

Oldest amusement ride you've been on?

zoeycuten

Roller Poster
As the title says, this isn't only limited to coasters, this can also include flat rides. (Ex. Carousel at Conneaut Lake Park - Opened in 1910)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
For a coaster, it's gonna be Leap The Dips, 1902, oldest coaster still operating.
For parks its gonna be Bakken, oldest park still operating, 1583
For fairs, the Schueberfouer in Luxembourg... 1340!

And for rides, normally carousels are way older than people expect (like say, Disney World just turned 50, but it's carousel is already well over 100!)

Doing a quick check for a flatride.... Blackpool Flying Machine -1904
And for a carousel it seems like Canobie's is from 1898!

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
For a coaster, it's gonna be Leap The Dips, 1902, oldest coaster still operating.
For fairs, the Schueberfouer in Luxembourg... 1340!

And for rides, normally carousels are way older than people expect (like say, Disney World just turned 50, but it's carousel is already well over 100!)

Doing a quick check for a flatride.... Blackpool Flying Machine -1904
And for a carousel it seems like Canobie's is from 1898!

A lot of similarity:
Coasters: Rutschebanen @ Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen, which is from 1914.
Bakken is also my oldest and still operating themepark.
And Flying Machines at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is also my oldest flatride.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I don't really know where to look up such statistics, so I'm basically going by other people's answers here. A case of scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll.... Yes, I've been on that!
Shout out to @CanobieFan for doing the necessary research for me - mine is also probably the Flying Machines at Blackpool.
Oldest coaster I've ridden is also probably at Blackpool. Which came first, was it Dipper? Yeah, that one then.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
I wasn’t even thinking about non-coasters. The whip at Kennywood was built in 1918, and Cedar Point’s carousel was built in 1912. Not sure if I’ve done anything older than that.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Carousel at Conneaut Lake Park (flat) and Leap The Dips at Lakemont Park (coaster).

+1

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Cedar Point’s carousel was built in 1912.

Without looking up dates for (let alone remembering) every carousel I've ever ridden, that's probably the oldest ride for me (or close enough to it).

The oldest coaster I've ever ridden is more definitively Kennywood's Jack Rabbit from 1920.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
Jack Rabbit at Clementon Park almost definitely, built in 1919. Not sure which Carousels and other flats that I've ridden pre-date that

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Can borrow this for my answer too.

Not a clue on flats or other attractions - don't really keep enough of a track of it to have any real idea.

Heth

Mega Poster
I'm pretty sure mine is Rutschebanen at Tivoli Gardens from 1914. I would imagine this is also my oldest park visit.

zoeycuten

Roller Poster
Since people are going into oldest parks and coasters, I might as well do the same thing.
Oldest Flat Ride: Carousel at Conneaut Lake Park (1910)
Oldest Roller Coaster: Jack Rabbit at Kennywood (1920)
Oldest Park: Cedar Point (1870)
I am planning on going to Lakemont Park this year, so this might change.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
The now defunct Aerial Glide at the firmer Shipley Glen is dated as 1900's, I cant find an exact date.

Better known rides, its another vote for the Flyers at 1904 and the Dipper from 1923, although given it was completely rerouted in 1936, can anyone actually claim to have been on the 1923 ride? If not I guess Nick Streak takes the title.

Peet

Giga Poster
Seems like a good chance to use my spreadsheet 🙂, here are the 10 oldest coasters I've ridden:
Screenshot_20230516_131951_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
As for other rides, I expect it's the Flying Machines.