What's new

Old people... "The Older Generation"

Until that day, don't say you think it is becoming less and less because you don't know a god damn thing about it.

I know some places and people are still racist, but we are not in the days of slavery anymore.. Being gay and black is as pretty common these days, and yes I know people are still racist but it's not to the extreme it once was where black people got beat. Even when we went on trips in the summer, I never saw anyone stare at you or make nasty comments.. Actually I think more people stared at me and made nasty comments about me than they did to you.

nealbie

CF Legend
I actually think it's rather disgusting how America STILL treat the black community here in 2010. It's almost barbaric.

I thought that they'd have moved onto a different minority like the rest of the world.

We all love you here Snoo :p

RCF

Strata Poster
Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of people fit the "you don't know and you shouldn't imagine yourself in that situation unless you've actually been in it."

That about right?

Snoo

The Legend
Taylor said:
Actually I think more people stared at me and made nasty comments about me than they did to you.

1. You made yourself look like a fool. I was born this way.
2. America has turned into the 'quiet' racism.. which they like to keep under wraps.. until they get pissed or you look at them with more then one eye. Then, 'the N word'.. 'Go back to Africa'.. ect ect. Just because people don't say it doesn't mean it isn't there. Hell, my own grandparents are racist and they haven't said anything derogatory towards me. Yet, they've still never met my father, referred to us as 'them', and treat my overweight convict high school drop out drug dealing cousin better then myself and my brother.. and I live down the damn road.

Try it Taylor.. really try it. Then you'll know.

Neal said:
actually think it's rather disgusting how America STILL treat the black community here in 2010. It's almost barbaric.

I thought that they'd have moved onto a different minority like the rest of the world.

We all love you here Snoo

It is worse other places tbh. I could be living places which are much worse.. but that still doesn't make up for the fact that it is still racist. Yes, it has got a whole hell of a lot better then, say, my dad was my age.. but that doesn't mean the population made a complete 180 in one generation.

And I think the populous as a whole is much more hostile toward anyone Arab then any other minority. We have Osama to thank for that.

I love you too Neal. <3

RCF said:
Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of people fit the "you don't know and you shouldn't imagine yourself in that situation unless you've actually been in it."

That about right?

I'm only suggesting this to people such as Taylor, who think things are just fine and dandy when it really isn't. I've been lucky, things haven't been bad.. it could be worse.. but to say its all rainbows and gummy bears is a ****ing lie.

wash

Mega Poster
Old people... not a very big fan. It really irritates me how most interpret everything thats different today than it was in "their day" as being worse or bad just because they didn't grow up with it.

Oh, and Gavin, that video was pure gold! :lol:

RCF

Strata Poster
Snoo I wasn't actually trying to point towards you, I was talking to some of the more, dare I say "ignorant" people. I do agree that nothing is "rainbows and gummy bears". Remember I'm not white, but people may not be as racist against me then they would you. I have been called a spick many times before because all these asses always assume I'm Mexican when I'm just considered Hispanic (because my ancestry hails from Spain) and then they go "Hispanics are Mexican you stupid spick" I ****ing hate when that happens, and it does also seem as if a lot of people start to hate Mexicans cos around here, people are kind of racist against Hispanics and I have been discriminated against.

It is somewhat of a "queit racism" but it's showing.

RCF

Strata Poster
It's still the South though so that's another thing.

SnooSnoo said:
Everything is bigger in Texas

It's true. :lol:

And usually we're the first people to get the Hispanics and Mexicans. :p

Dave

CF Legend
Erol was it outside the Oakwood Shop? As some old bloke was racially abusing this kurdish man.

tks

Strata Poster
Just because you are white does not mean that you won't face discrimination in todays society.

I find it rather offensive that if you aren't classed as a minority then that 'apparently' means you have no idea how it feels to discriminated against.

I never said it was rainbows and gummy bears Marcus, I've heard my dad say things about never wanting me to have a minority boyfriend and this and that, but the people I know still would never do anything or say anything to hurt a black person or a minority. The ones you know just sound like douches, anyone who hates you because you're black clearly doesn't know you well enough, because you're awesome and don't deserve to associate with anyone like that. It definitely could be worse though, I mean at least you have friends and stuff, so not everyone is hatin' on ya.

Just because you are white does not mean that you won't face discrimination in todays society.

I find it rather offensive that if you aren't classed as a minority then that 'apparently' means you have no idea how it feels to discriminated against.

This.

I'm not a minority, but I use to be a fat out of style loner that got called fat literally everywhere I went, even some people in my family told me I was fat, so I DO know how it feels to be cast out because of how you look or whatever. Even if you say I made myself look like a retard even now, I still don't like being stared at or people talking behind my back and blah blah.

White people still know how it feels to have hateful words toward them, too.

RCF

Strata Poster
^ No offense but I don't think you can compare being insulted because you're fat and being insulted because you're a minority. Yes you do face a lot of criticism but it's not like people really hate you and (in some cases) want to kill you. Unless they're psycho like Lois' brother in Family Guy, but that's not the point.

The point is that, yes white people do face hateful words, but it can't compare to anything minorities have faced in the past 400 years in this country, and are still facing now.

tks

Strata Poster
Being insulted or being discriminated against is the same whatever. It doesn't matter if it's because of your skin colour, weight, sexuality, religion or anything else. It still hurts you.

Just because your minority claims to have suffered the most doesn't give you a right to tell other people they "don't know how it feels".

RCF

Strata Poster
I never said mine was treated the worse, it definitely hasn't been. Marcus' minority, yes. I was just pointing out to Taylor that you can hardly compare being insulted for being fat, to being insulted because of your race. Yes they are the same, but from around 1610 to 1965, what did they do to black people? Killed them, brutally beat them, shunned them from communities, forcing them to hurt so people could get a kick out of it. Sure maybe you'd see it with religion, and occasionally sexuality, but not to overweight people, or anorexic people.

And when I said, "you don't know how it feels" I meant they don't know the discrimination and hate between races, not just being criticized and hated in general.

And Taylor, please don't take offense, I didn't mean it, but hopefully the above will help you understand that. I just wanted to get my point across.

AJ

Giga Poster
RollerCoasterFanatic said:
and occasionally sexuality.

Uganda... Gay Genocide..... Going to school and being bullied for being gay is a LOT more common then for being an ethnic minority in this day and age.

If anything, i'd say LBGT Community put up with a LOT more **** nowadays then ethnic minorities, because they aren't accepted by a vast majority of every ethnicity. Whereas nowadays, being part of an ethnic minority isn't an issue with the majority...

RCF

Strata Poster
Sorry I was talking about America. I'm not very familiar with European affairs on stuff like this. My bad all you Europeans.

I never said mine was treated the worse, it definitely hasn't been. Marcus' minority, yes. I was just pointing out to Taylor that you can hardly compare being insulted for being fat, to being insulted because of your race.

Yes you can.. Unless you overeat on purpose, you can't help the fact that you're fat, just like you can't help the fact that you're the minority. Hurtful words are hurtful words, whether people don't want to associate with you because you're fat or because you're black is the same thing. I never said fat people got whacked with bats back in the day, but I'm talking about presently, where here, people don't get whacked with bats for being black. We're talking about hurtful words, not going back years and years to slavery days, which most of us weren't even alive for so NONE of us know how that feels.

RCF

Strata Poster
Yes but what most people have been talking on here that ARE minorities actually still face some, and some of my family did exist and that era, and don't forget, the KKK didn't just primarily focus on blacks, but on every minority or anyone that wasn't white. Yes it has quieted down, and yes being insulted is being insulted. I was trying to get a point across.

Does this make you guys feel better? We're all idiots let's just forget about it and get this topic back to normalcy? Old people, not arguing over racism and being insulted for various things.