What's new

Ohio State game PTR! 10/31/09

Snoo

The Legend
My first trip to the lovely grounds of Ohio Stadium to watch my beloved Buckeyes face the New Mexico State Aggies. Nothing on earth like 104,572 Buckeye fans cramped into the stadium.

10937_512432056691_180000185_30505472_4292252_n.jpg

Walking up my side of the stadium I was greeted by the lovely Half Tunda.. beautiful.

10937_512432076651_180000185_30505476_5133370_n.jpg

Here come the Buckeyes!

10937_512432071661_180000185_30505475_3464043_n.jpg

Me and my lady before kickoff.

10937_512432086631_180000185_30505478_7096562_n.jpg

2nd Quarter, Bucks about to score.

10937_512432066671_180000185_30505474_897900_n.jpg

Home side.

10937_512432061681_180000185_30505473_2430393_n.jpg

Other side.

10937_512432081641_180000185_30505477_905302_n.jpg

The band had an awesome half-time show, featuring Thriller at the end.

Overall, the game was a romp, Bucks winning 45-0.. but we got lucky that ALL of the points were scored in our half of the stadium.

Since I had never been, it was quite the awesome and unique experience. For the first time I felt the tradition, the chants, the band, and the team up close rather then TV. I can't wait to go back.. I might even go again this season.

Yay!

Slash

Giga Poster
Is it true american football games last about three hours as the commentator on tv shows every aspect of the down that has just happened during the set up for the next down?

Snoo

The Legend
The game lasts three hours because of the game, not because of TV. :)

But, depending on where you watch, how much you care, ect ect.. is how fast those three hours could go. That game went by lightning fast for me.. and we were there for about 4 hours.

Wheeeeeeee, looks fun. All that red in the stands is insane, and I bet it was fun, especially for you being such a big fan. Personally I probably wouldn't have liked it, but the atmosphere looks pretty intense!

Error

Strata Poster
45-0? Sounds like my high school football team.

We were the zero, lol. Nice PTR man.

Ollie

CF Legend
Looks like you had a great time. I've tried watching American Football on the TV before but found it one of the dullest sports I've ever watched. It's just start stop start stop and for every minute you get about 5 seconds of so called "action". Needles to say I switched off after 10 minutes. :p

Emmett

Giga Poster
Nice report Snoo.

Wow it just goes to show how big the college game is in the US if they can attract 104,572 people to a game. They probably get a bigger crowd than the nearest NFL team does.

Its like going back to the old days of the football stadiums in Europe when you could get away with huge crowds with the terraces.

Snoo

The Legend
Emmett said:
Nice report Snoo.

Wow it just goes to show how big the college game is in the US if they can attract 104,572 people to a game. They probably get a bigger crowd than the nearest NFL team does.

Its like going back to the old days of the football stadiums in Europe when you could get away with huge crowds with the terraces.

There were more people there then both the NFL teams combined.. :p

It really is an awesome stadium with a great atmosphere. For anyone to experience something like that rooting for a team they like is just something everyone should do. I now know how you Brit soccer boys feel.. :p

And my favorite part of the day..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbdXgAWuU_E[/youtube]

Yeee I'm so giddy. I might be getting tickets for a game in a few weeks too.. woo!

CMonster

Giga Poster
Ah, how I love college football games...

Looks like you had fun, even if you were wearing the wrong colors and cheering for the wrong team. And living in the wrong state. :wink:

Makes me want to take a visit to the Swamp soon...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That looks incredible.

The atmosphere looks great. It seems as if you do American Football far better than we do "proper" Football.

I might have to try a match sometime!

jokerman

Giga Poster
Although it visually looks incredible, it doesn't seem to have the atmosphere of a "real" football match.

Very unimaginative chants. Looks like an experience though.

CMonster

Giga Poster
jokerman said:
Although it visually looks incredible, it doesn't seem to have the atmosphere of a "real" football match.

Very unimaginative chants. Looks like an experience though.

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to do the stadium wide chants if they were any more complex than "O-H-I-O" and whatnot. :wink:

Snoo

The Legend
jokerman said:
Never stops us in Europe...

Well how often do you have 105,000 people come to a game? :)

Plus.. that isn't the only chant, just the coolest sounding. Of course though, American football and European football atmospheres will never be the same, because they are completely different atmospheres. Its comparing apples and oranges. In Europe, you pride yourselves on your singing and chanting and claim it gives your teams an advantage by encouraging them. In America, making as much noise as possible, making it impossible for the other team to hear helps your team tremendously. Just like everything else, two different cultures make the difference love. ;)

RCF

Strata Poster
Great photos, but I do think you're cheering for the wrong team :wink: just saying. I actually am going to a college game soon, since it's looking Texas is the major powerhouse in the Big 12, I'm going to see the Big 12 Championship Game at the new Cowboys Stadium sometime soon. Very cool photos and the atmosphere seemed awesome. Can't wait to go to my first college game.......

tks

Strata Poster
jokerman said:
Never stops us in Europe...

The difference being most of our chants contain some form of racial, homophobic or derogatory insult. I'd much rather hear O-H-I-O than oh lets say..

"he's big,he's black,he takes it up his crack"

or the ever so popular

"Sol, Sol, wherever you may be
you're on the verge of lunacy
and we couldn't give a ****
if you're hanging from a tree
you judas **** with HIV."

jokerman

Giga Poster
^I wouldn't want to be hearing that at matches, but at least they have more imagination. Anyway as Snoo pointed out, we probably aren't comparing like with like.

Snoo

The Legend
So screaming racist things is being more imaginative? Last time I checked, that makes you more retarded.. and isn't really an advantage no matter how you say it.