What's new

Oblivion to receive a repaint

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Very exciting news! According to TowersStreet, Oblivion will receive a much needed repaint and some TLC. The Sanctuary is also set to return for the 2013 season.

Good times :)

Merlin is repainting one of their rides? I never thought I would see the day.
Rita's retheme was fair enough as its rally theme didn't really go with dark forest area, but to be honest, there was no real reason to refurb Oblivion. Of course, I am still thrilled it is getting some TLC.
Hopefully Thorpe Park follow in their footsteps soon and start refurbishing some of their rides.

I guess it makes sense repainting Oblivion for this season as x-sector is going to be pretty popular with its new addition this year!

Don't forget that the Sanctuary scare-maze is also returning for the start of the season! News article from TowersStreet. :)

TowersStreet said:
X-Sector due for makeover and Sanctuary to return!

TowersStreet have been made aware that recent employee newsletters at the Alton Towers Resort have revealed extremely exciting developments set to begin very shortly in X Sector, alongside the opening of the resort’s new rollercoaster – SW7.

In the next few days, a full track repaint will begin on Oblivion, something that many members of the enthusiast community have been longing for, for a good few years; the task of painting the ride will be a 6 week job. It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other, and that a higher quality paint will be used in order to give the colour more durability. In addition, other elements of the ride including the shuttles, harnesses, and buildings – all of which are in need of some attention – are thought to be getting attention over the closed season.

On top of this, it is believed that plans are in the process of being confirmed for a spruce-up of the general X Sector area, in order to make it look impressive as the home of a new attraction. The area’s dated toilet blocks, over which SW7 will pass, are thought to be marked for a revamp.

The other significant piece of news which TowersStreet are delighted to announce, is that the Resort’s popular new scare maze, The Sanctuary, will be returning for the start of the 2013 season. Believed to have a plot linked to SW7′s, the attractions should work well side-by-side, as well as the maze acting as a promotion for the ride in the event of its delayed opening. It is currently unknown for how many weeks the maze will run.

TowersStreet are extremely excited at this news, and look forward to bringing you the latest updates on our dedicated SW7 ministe. Meanwhile, discuss these developments over on our lively TowersStreet Talk forums!

^^That's really exciting news about The Sanctuary. I loved this maze to bits last year. I wonder if it'll be free? (Not that I mind paying)

Saw 2 photos on TT of Oblivion. One in 1998, where it was onviously black. The other in 1999, where it was already starting to fade! Let's hope in this repaint, it stays that way. It'll look so strange when it's done.

FaceYourNemesis said:
^^That's really exciting news about The Sanctuary. I loved this maze to bits last year. I wonder if it'll be free? (Not that I mind paying)
I'm highly doubting it being free, it'll just cause too much fuss when Scarefest comes back around, BUT, seen as there's no other free Scare Attraction, it's highly possibly that it will actually be free.

^Remember how well that worked out at Thorpe! Hehe! Also bear in mind that they have actors in Sub Terror so from a financial point of view they do already have a kind of scare attraction.

I suspect this will be either:
a) upcharge
b) temporary for the opening of Sweven
c) restricted to peak times only (holidays/summer weekends etc)

Considering all of this, coupled with the fact theat they've been trying to scale back their operating costs all over the place lately (reduced opening hours, staggered ride openings etc) I'd be surprised if this was both free and open all season.

It'll be temporary, otherwise they risk losing the draw of horror mazes being available only at Halloween, especially when people are willing to pay for them.

I'm guessing its just an extension of their use of it as a promotional tool.

Nic said:
^Remember how well that worked out at Thorpe! Hehe! Also bear in mind that they have actors in Sub Terror so from a financial point of view they do already have a kind of scare attraction.
Yeah, that's what I was saying in the SW7 Topic about the whole situation. My guess is, it'll be open for about a Month or so after the opening of SW7. That's it. Which I'll be happy about. I know they won't open one year round, but if they ever did, I'd sincerely hope it wasn't The Sanctuary, it'd lose all of it's charm.

According to the rumours from Towers Times, the repaint started today (Monday).

Like every other enthusiast, it's great to see Oblivion get a lick of paint since it was in serious need of it. I remember the colour back when it first opened and how great it looked. But it didn't last that long as elephant58 said.

As for the Sanctuary, I have a feeling they will keep open for a couple of months then possibly have its return at Scarefest. I'm glad they are bringing it back as it was one of my favourite mazes last year. However I will be very surprised if it'll be free, they'll charge for it seeing as it was a paid maze during Scarefest last year. Maybe not the same price range but possibly enough so people will go in it.

Using Tapatalk...

Nic said:
I suspect this will be either:
a) upcharge
b) temporary for the opening of Sweven
c) restricted to peak times only (holidays/summer weekends etc)

Considering all of this, coupled with the fact theat they've been trying to scale back their operating costs all over the place lately (reduced opening hours, staggered ride openings etc) I'd be surprised if this was both free and open all season.

I suspect all of the above. It was a fairly decent maze, so I'd pay a few quid to do it again, and if SW7 is delayed opening, they at least have an attraction to try and distract from the delays.

As for the Oblivion repaint/general touch-up of X-Sector, we've all said for going on forever now it seems just how much the whole area needs due care and attention, so this can only be seen as good.

I've only ever seen Oblivion in its current state to be honest, so will be surreal seeing it darker than it currently is.

Ta da!

ecff2fa910a73fdfe6c979fe8fcbcdd9.jpg