What's new

Oakwood Updates

Nathanisbeast

Roller Poster
As I wish that this would be a more thrilling ride than that it would be a great investment. The supports do look similar. I hope this is not the only ride going but with the budget in posts Oakwood have put on social media etc it does look like it's only going to be that one ride.

supersion

Mega Poster
I think it's safe to say that Oakwood has given up on the whole 'Sleepy Hollow' theme.

Not only did they remove their Developer Diary page off Facebook, but also the tree (Of the dead) that was next to the 'New Development' Sign has also gone from the Map. They also have the terrible habit of ignoring anyone on their facebook page that questions the Sleepy Hollow Development. Terrible way to convince visitors to come.

Seeing ' James and the Giant Peach ' registered as a Trademark makes me cringe and want to cry. It just make's me think, they're just jumping from one thing to the next, without any form of a structure. I genuinley think this could be the final nail in the coffin for the place. In what direction is the place going? I really don't think they know. Especially seeing they've replaced the Managing Director how many times now?

I find the whole thing from Neverland to this an a total mess. They've ballsed up ever since they began this 'new developments programme'... what exactly have they achieved really? A half arsed Neverland, some new signs... and what? Nothing really.

I used to Love Oakwood with a passion, I really did. It's my home park, and the first Theme Park I ever visited.
After all the years of no developments, and cost cutting... It really needs to be sold off to a company that actually will bring some actual life to it.

I'm at the point where i'd actually be happy to see Merlin purchase it. (I really wish they would).

James and the giant peach huh? Okay well good look with that one... =D>

(Apologies for the rant... but I'm just so incredibly dissappointed with the place) :|

Nathanisbeast

Roller Poster
supersion said:
I think it's safe to say that Oakwood has given up on the whole 'Sleepy Hollow' theme.

Not only did they remove their Developer Diary page off Facebook, but also the tree (Of the dead) that was next to the 'New Development' Sign has also gone from the Map. They also have the terrible habit of ignoring anyone on their facebook page that questions the Sleepy Hollow Development. Terrible way to convince visitors to come.

Seeing ' James and the Giant Peach ' registered as a Trademark makes me cringe and want to cry. It just make's me think, they're just jumping from one thing to the next, without any form of a structure. I genuinley think this could be the final nail in the coffin for the place. In what direction is the place going? I really don't think they know. Especially seeing they've replaced the Managing Director how many times now?

I find the whole thing from Neverland to this an a total mess. They've ballsed up ever since they began this 'new developments programme'... what exactly have they achieved really? A half arsed Neverland, some new signs... and what? Nothing really.

I used to Love Oakwood with a passion, I really did. It's my home park, and the first Theme Park I ever visited.

After all the years of no developments, and cost cutting... It really needs to be sold off to a company that actually will bring some actual life to it.

I'm at the point where i'd actually be happy to see Merlin purchase it. (I really wish they would).

James and the giant peach huh? Okay well good look with that one... =D>

(Apologies for the rant... but I'm just so incredibly dissappointed with the place) :|
I agree it's like aspro don't care about the park with 4 or 5 rides still waiting for parts just tops it off. I wished they kept the development diary as it was a unique way on showing what's happening but now probably just posts here and there about it.
Sleepy hollow sounded great for a new area but "James and the giant peach" it just sounds awful and for a kids ride (which this ride was meant to target the adult market)

Nathanisbeast

Roller Poster
"Our next BIG adventure" is what they are calling this project I wonder if this a clue for it to be James and the giant peach. I guess no sleepy hollow

Bananaman

Roller Poster
I am not allowed to post links on here yet (Noob) but please Google for Space Roller Coaster, Scotland

It was at M&Ds Scotland Theme Park and is now being put together now at Oakwood

You will see the green stanchions and posts in some pictures where it was repainted at a later date.

Supposed to be open Mid July at Oakwood

Bananaman

Roller Poster
Ian said:
http://rcdb.com/3653.htm

Hmm, I wonder if it's a permanent installation or if they're renting it from M&Ds for a while?

Its a permanent install, Oakwood purchased it from salvage, posts and stanchions are being set into concrete pads

EthC

Mega Poster
What a pisstake...

I think this confirmed that aspro don't give a ****, which is a shame because a few years back this park actually had a promising outlook atleast until Speed anyway :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bananaman said:
Ian said:
http://rcdb.com/3653.htm

Hmm, I wonder if it's a permanent installation or if they're renting it from M&Ds for a while?

Its a permanent install, Oakwood purchased it from salvage, posts and stanchions are being set into concrete pads
Ah thanks.

A park like Oakwood shouldn't be buying second hand Pinfari coasters. They're at least new Preston & Barbieri calibure. When you think of the park's heritage and original ambition - getting Wardley to advise, Megafobia, Speed, Hydro etc - it's a shame to see it erecting a rusty Pinfari.

They are still dragging a stone around their neck after the Hydro death. A news alert that popped into my inbox this week was about the accident; Hayley Williams' mum is upset the new tv advert repeatedly shows Hydro.

All that aside, it's not enough to make me want to travel to the end of the Earth to visit this year.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I just don't get this, like at all. I can sort of understand the small seaside parks getting the Galaxi Pinfari's, as there's something classic about them, but these models are just abysmal. The trains basically don't have seats, but also come with heavy OTSRs.

Unless they're going to get a manufacturer to add spinning cars...?

supersion

Mega Poster
I've always tried to remain positive about Oakwood, with it being the closest theme park to me, and the only real one in Wales, but I genuinely believe that this is near the end for the park now.

It's no doubt that the Hydro accident was the first step to it's decline, but from there they have just not managed to recover.

I really admire the ambition the original owners had for the park, installing rides like Megafobia, Hydro & Speed, you can tell that they were thinking ahead for the parks future, and giving the park it's own distinct feel. The biggest shame is that they decided to sell to a Company who doesn't seem to have ambition for the park, and clearly doesn't run it well.

It seems that there's multiple problems in Oakwood's case. The amount of visitors it gets these days is significantly lower than it used to be. The park is relatively empty most of the time, with rides now running on rotation and many of them out of order. The lack of visitors obviously seems to cause the lack of investment, and it just carries on until things are practically falling apart.

I remember doing some research a few years back, and found information regarding Oakwood's finances. I can't remember where I had found the information now as it was quite a long time ago, but Oakwood's profit was barely existent, only reaching into the thousands. There's no way a Theme Park can run on profits like that, and it would explain the mess that it seems to be in.

The purchase of this 'old' rollercoaster is really just another 'quick fix' attempt on trying to get visitor numbers through the gate, which I know for a fact will only fall flat. It's not going to work, and I'm genuinely surprised that a 'big' company like ASPRO would let it get to this point, instead of having a strong & proper strategy for the park.

I mean, what exactly did happen to the Sleepy Hollow area? Now James & the Giant Peach? It just shows the complete lack of direction, and adding this 30 year old coaster is not going to solve the multiple problems that seem to be apparent at Oakwood.

It's the time of the year when many Schools visit Oakwood as a part of their summer trips. A few Schools visited yesterday but only to find that Megafobia, Speed, Bounce & The Pirate Ship closed for maintenance. I cannot understand what Amusement Company could stand there and defend that being an acceptable amount of rides to be closed? 3 of the supposedly 'Big 4' Rides closed, leaving you with very little to do. I know if that was the case when visiting I would be demanding some form of a refund.

The best move from here would be to sell Oakwood to another Amusement Company, or as I would like to see, Sell it on to the Original Owners, and restore the ambition and feel Oakwood used to have.

Im incredibly gutted to see what has happened to this Park. Used to have such a strong sense of character, giving me plenty of good memories, if only it can revive and bring great investments... which sadly I cannot see happening.

This link gives a good insight with the financials of Oakwood

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0204 ... l-accounts

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Wow, that's a complete joke! It's a shame really, because Speed is a decent Eurofighter and Megafobia is just bloody amazing! You'd think with the work that Paultons have done to improve their park Oakwood would be able to do something similar. I just visited The Lost Kingdom for the first time today and something like Flight of the Pterosaur (Vekoma Jr Suspended) would be ideal for Oakwood, hell even a Velociraptor/Ben10 style Jr Boomerang would work dreams. They shouldn't be chasing after bargin bin Pinfaris, saving it from scrap is literally hillarious! In my opinion Oakwood should take a long hard look at Paultons and see what they can do to be similar.

Bananaman

Roller Poster
Martyn B said:
Unless they're going to get a manufacturer to add spinning cars...?

No spinning cars !

And for those saying the big rides are down at Oakwood, that is correct. Megafobia has been down for 2 weeks now awaiting track repairs, Bounce has been down for a week and Speed for a week also.

It really has become a blight on the local area but we wait in anticipation for Gateway Resort in Llanelli next year, which will surely put the final nail in the coffin for Oakwood

"Building a theme park in Llanelli would allow the town to have its own winter wonderland and could see house prices rise 10 per cent.

That's the view of the man who hopes to build a venue similar to Drayton Manor.

Gateway Holiday Park will become Gateway Resort next year as part of a £1.5 million expansion plan by owner Ken Strelley.

And in the new year, a planning application will also go in to build a multi-million pound theme park on the site, just off the A484"

Dave

CF Legend
Until Aspro improve the Blue Reef Aquarium in Portsmouth there's no hope for Oakwood.

(For the record it's a aquarium that has endless potential but no love)