What's new

"Now Showing"

It was just beautiful. Cried in I Dreamed A Dream and then from On My Own until the end of the film <3

The couple of changes to song positions etc that they've made we're actually great and make more sense now, although the new song seemed a bit pointless when they could have kept Dog Eat Dog in instead <//3

Still, the first truly awesome movie musical for a very, very long time and the whole place was in tears.

Lmao, I cried like for everything, it was so sad. I cry for every movie though, to be fair. Nobody else in the theatre was crying though which I thought was odd (even though I saw it at like 11PM and it didn't end until nearly 2 so that could have been why), but I cried in so many parts. The part when the priest gives Jean Valjean the silver candle holder things too </3

I want to see the actual stage show now. My only qualm with the film is that the songs have been stuck in my head for AGES. I saw it a week and a half ago and it's still in my head.

Just watched Ted, yah I'm a little late. It was cute and funny, but I also actually cried which is really embarrassing. Yah, not as funny as everything said but still enjoyable, a solid seven.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Ryan Gosling's voice in Gangster Squad made me want to punch him...

Otherwise, great film...

Oh my god, right? What the hell was with that, he doesn't normally sound like that, he was all squeaky <//3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Nothing, but I was in a bad mood so I saw it hoping to laugh. I intended on going to Compton or a black movie theater to see it, but it didn't happen. Instead it was a bunch of 14-15 year olds whose parents signed them in to see it. I chuckled a few times, mainly at the stupidity. The kids had the funniest reactions ever to certain parts. The first time they say "the n-word" (which is practically the entire movie) and the entire theater basically gasped in horror or how dare someone say such a word. Then they did the same thing when they made a "squirter" joke, which I laughed my ass off at.

Oh white suburban California you never cease to fail to provide me hours of cheap entertainment.

RCF

Strata Poster
Quite late but I've seen Django Unchained twice now. I've slowly come around to Tarantino, having really only seen Inglorious Basterds and only hearing things about Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. That being said, I loved this movie. Jamie Foxx was the perfect choice for the "hero"
that went to save Broomhilda, as he encompassed a sort of fiery persona, while keeping it mostly calm and cool throughout the movie (as in he shows humanity in him, he's not just a beast who has no regard for humans). Leonardo DiCaprio I thought would be kind of a meh pick, as I couldn't see him in the role of a plantation owner. Thankfully, I was 100% wrong. DiCaprio did a fantastic job in this film, exceeding all my expectations, you can tell he really grasped the role and how committed he was to it, so far as to continue a scene even when he had cut his hand open (source: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-gold ... .html&#41;. He changes from a suave, rather sophisticated plantation owner to someone who is threatening, and not afraid to beat someone's head in, or let someone be be ripped apart by dogs. Samuel L. Jackson was one of the best parts of the movies. I laughed my ass off whenever he was on screen, yet he was more than a bit of comic relief, in that he was truly a servant of Candie.
But, I feel the movie was stolen by Christoph Waltz. He was, amazing. He was an absolute, badass. He was well spoken, he brought his lines to life and just, blew everyone away. He was able to talk his way out of any situation outsmart anyone, and showed that while being a bounty hunter, he was well educated, human, and couldn't stand slavery.

Overall, the movie was one of the best movies I've seen in quite a long time, and deserves at LEAST an Oscar for Screenplay, and Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz.

10/10

peep

CF Legend
^So looking forward to seeing that film, Friday can't come quick enough.

Les Mis

I've been umming and arring about seeing the stage version for years but every time I listen to the music it just put me off seeing it. So I was glad that there was a film version coming out so I didn't have to waste like £30 on a ticket. So yeah, I loathed it, maybe that's too strong a term to use but I just didn't click with the film, it didn't engage my attention at all. I found most of the music rather dull and just couldn't see the appeal anywhere. However I did think the sets were great and the cast were fantastic (it's not their fault I couldn't find the story compelling or the music moving). I actually enjoyed the scenes with Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, I thought they were fun and interesting characters.

Overall though it just wasn't for me. It's probably not helped by my pre-existing loathing of the director (he's a bit of a d*ck) from around the time he was finishing up The Kings Speech or the shoddy camera work (were they all drunk?) and apparently the director's attitude towards one of my ex-colleagues (who was such a nice person).

Rating: 2/5

Snoo

The Legend
RCF said:
Quite late but I've seen Django Unchained twice now. I've slowly come around to Tarantino, having really only seen Inglorious Basterds and only hearing things about Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. That being said, I loved this movie.
Jamie Foxx was the perfect choice for the "hero" that went to save Broomhilda, as he encompassed a sort of fiery persona, while keeping it mostly calm and cool throughout the movie (as in he shows humanity in him, he's not just a beast who has no regard for humans). Leonardo DiCaprio I thought would be kind of a meh pick, as I couldn't see him in the role of a plantation owner. Thankfully, I was 100% wrong. DiCaprio did a fantastic job in this film, exceeding all my expectations, you can tell he really grasped the role and how committed he was to it, so far as to continue a scene even when he had cut his hand open (source: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-gold ... .html&#41;. He changes from a suave, rather sophisticated plantation owner to someone who is threatening, and not afraid to beat someone's head in, or let someone be be ripped apart by dogs. Samuel L. Jackson was one of the best parts of the movies. I laughed my ass off whenever he was on screen, yet he was more than a bit of comic relief, in that he was truly a servant of Candie.
But, I feel the movie was stolen by Christoph Waltz. He was, amazing. He was an absolute, badass. He was well spoken, he brought his lines to life and just, blew everyone away. He was able to talk his way out of any situation outsmart anyone, and showed that while being a bounty hunter, he was well educated, human, and couldn't stand slavery.

Overall, the movie was one of the best movies I've seen in quite a long time, and deserves at LEAST an Oscar for Screenplay, and Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz.

10/10

So you put spoiler on a minor scene but not over EVERY major plot point you spoiled? Come on now son.

RCF

Strata Poster
^ Sorry, it's been awhile. I didn't feel like I was revealing every major p-lot line but if you see i that way then apologize.

Snoo

The Legend
It's all good buddy. I've seen it as last page established.. just a lot of things I thought were points you cant just get from a trailer were thrown out. I still <3. :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Les Miserables

Peep is silly.

It was brilliant. From the trailers, I really wasn't overly bothered about seeing it, but some people from work were going when we finished last night, so I went along with them. I'm glad I did because I loved it.

My problem with the trailers was that from the clips shown, it didn't seem as if anyone was actually "singing" the big songs properly at all. They seemed to be talk-singing them if that makes sense. You know, to show how good they are at acting. It turns out that it mostly wasn't like that at all, and the times it did sort of happen, it actually worked.

Anne Hathaway's performance of I Dreamed a Dream is De.Va.Stat.Ing. Like, it's ridiculously brilliant. It's one of my all-time favourite songs anyway - or at least it was until that old cat lady came along a few years ago and almost ruined it - but when you see it performed in the live show, it has to be performed as a huge song due to the nature of it being on stage and needing to fill the theatre. A close up camera, sung in a much calmer, more understated and emotional way, actually works much better and you get much more of an appreciation for what a heartbreaking song it actually is.

The things I disliked are basically the same things I dislike about the stage version. Cossette: such a **** character who does nothing except act as a catalyst for other characters. It's sort of a shame since in the book she's a much "fuller" character.

Gavroche: annoying as **** character who should be scrapped completely. Kids singing is **** ing gross at the best of times. Kids singing in an "Oliver" cockney accent (inexplicable since he's a Parisian street urchin) are even more vile.

Speaking of accents, characters doing their best French rrrrrrr sound when saying the name "Marius", when for everything else they're doing cockney. You know, because that shows they're poor? Irritating and indulgent.

Castle on a Cloud: Crap song. Just crap. At least in the film they cut it slightly short.

Something that's more evident in the film than the musical though is that whole areas of the story seemed more rushed. It's nothing to do with the length of the film, but more to do with a feeling that there's a lot of the story, or a lot of the details of parts of the story, missing. That's bound to happen, given the sheer scale of the novel it's based on, but in the stage version you're more inclined to let it go I think. In the film you could really tell that you were getting more of a brief overview of the whole story - it's nothing to do with knowing the book or not, you can still feel it - than the stage version. Obviously, they're the same, so I don't know what it is other than maybe you're focusing more on the songs in the theatre, while for the film you're focusing more on plot. I dunno.

Anyway, despite the nit picking, which is more based on the source musical to be fair, I loved it. For me there hasn't been a decent film musical since Chicago ten years ago - ok maybe Sweeney Todd, but that would have benefited from better casting in the title role - and nothing on that sort of epic scale since Evita in the mid nineties.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Django Unchained

First Tarantino film I actually enjoyed. That said, it was WAY too long, and I just don't get the point of having a gun shot lead to a gatorade bath of blood being thrown anywhere. I know that is his "style" but it takes away from the movie.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I’ve not posted in here in forever!

Just got back in from Django Unchained after waiting an eternity for it to finally be released here. It was phenomenal! Christopher Waltz take a bow – stunning performance worthy of the Oscar, Jamie Foxx was also amazing and DiCaprio really excelled himself too. In fact, every single cast member was phenomenal… except Tarantino. He always makes me cringe and his performances are always so weak. The only other fault I had with the film was the final 30 minutes or so seemed, erm, pointless.
But those aside, a brilliant, classic Tarantino film with some amazing genre homages. It’s no Pulp Fiction, but it’s worthy of much acclaim.

9.5/10

The screening was topped off by being in Directors Lounge with free beer, chips and chocolates together with perfect projection and precise cinema sound design, an increasingly rare occurrence I have sound in digital screenings where there’s no projectionist to ensure everything is set up correctly and nothing goes wrong.

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
just watched V/H/S
wasn't expecting much from it considering I was watching it on my computer, and the paranormal activity series was dire on a computer, but I jumped a few times, thought it was quite a cool little film.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
ciallkennett said:
In fact, every single cast member was phenomenal… except Tarantino. He always makes me cringe and his performances are always so weak.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. He's a great filmmaker but boy is he a lousy actor. I'm fully convinced that the reason his character was Australian is because he can't do a southern accent.. and even his Australian accent was pretty rough!

VascoXTRC

Roller Poster
Mama-movie-banner.jpg

Sort of the background story.....

Mama is a horror film produced by Guillermo del Toro. A father with his two children is on the run as a suspect in an office shooting. The father and children end up in a terrible crash and being dumped on an old cabin deep in the forest by a lake. The father makes and attempt to murder his children, but is attacked by a mysterious creature (Mama) living in the remote cabin. The father disappears and the children are left to starve alone in the wilderness. The children are found much later by two local hicks after finding the wreck. The two children become custody of the father's brother and his girlfriend.
Ever since the children were brought into the home of their uncle, have been exhibiting strange behavior. Most notably reciting the name "Mama" In short, Mama portals herself to the girls new home. She wants her babies back.

Mama is by no stretch a perfect film. It does deliver though. Mama is surprisingly very scary for a PG-13 movie. The first half of the film does have incredible suspense as well as terror. Unfortunately the terror tapers off quickly after Mama's image is completely revealed. The CG was sort of cheesy.

I give it a 8/10

nealbie

CF Legend
Wreck-It Ralph was AMAZEBALLS! First decent Disney film since Bolt... If I have to wait another 5 years for the next one I'm going to be mighty hacked off!

9/10 <3