What's new

"Now Showing"

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm seeing it at some point this weekend, so I'll have a true opinion then. Just trying to figure out what time to go to avoid all the ****ing children that will be brought to a late night showing because their parents are assholes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Urgh, yeah Watson was horrendous as Belle.

Will Smith was ill-judged casting imo. I'm not against changing up the genie a bit as that works 100% for the stage version. From everything I've seen though he just looks bored and he sounds rubbish on the soundtrack, just a general lack of energy. I'm seeing mixed reviews about him so some seem to be happy with what he gets up to.
Nah, he's actually pretty good in it apart from the singing.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Rocketman - wasn't gonna bother with this, but saw a couple of promising reviews - and it's Fantastic! Can't recommend it highly enough!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Time for a blasting of the past month or so, I'm doing a really **** job at seeing movies this year.

Little - This has a firm grip as worst film of the year for me, and I doubt it will be moved. **** this movie.

Endgame: Everyone has covered this. Enjoyed it, intended on seeing it again, but never got around to it.

Detective Pikachu: Loved it for what it was.

Longshot: Surprise of the year so far, and that's because I expected ass cancer.

Aladdin: WHY. THE. ****. CAN. THEY. NOT. CAST. PEOPLE. WHO. CAN. ACTUALLY. SING. Seriously. I mean, it's better than Emma Watson screeching through the movie with autotune, but enough is enough. Will Smith was better than expected, but he definitely sucked ass singing, quite lifeless. It was fine, not amazing, but fine.

Also, **** grown ass adults singing the songs. You ain't at home Karen. Shut the **** up.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Brightburn

Didn't really know anything about it, but I had a free cinema ticket that needed to be used up this week and a day off with nothing to do.

Meh. It wasn't bad, but it could've been better. I kind of liked the idea of it - a kid lands on Earth with superhero powers, but is an evil little s**t - kind of Superman meets The Omen. It's clearly been left wide open for a sequel, but I don't know if it's going to be successful enough to warrant spending the money making one. [/u]

peep

CF Legend
The Secret Life of Pets 2 - The first was ok and this was fine. It made me chuckle a few times but it's rather forgettable. Sure kids will love it.

John Wick 3 - This was fantastic, the action sequences come thick and fast and have a great way of keeping your attention throughout. The whole thing was filmed really well and there were quite a few moments that amused me. Bring on number 4!

Rocketman - Loved it, best biopic I've seen in a long time. Everything is just great, the way they weaved his songs into the story, the imaginitive way of bringing certain moments to life was really unique and the cast - especially Taron as Elton - were brilliant. Felt like the film crammed loads of stuff in without making it feel rushed which I think is quite an achievement. Highly recommend, I think even those that don't like his music will be able to enjoy it to a degree.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Booksmart

I've heard only good things, so went and saw it last night. As more times has passed, the more and more I love it. The cast is great, the soundtrack is as well, and it's just such a great ****ing movie. It will probably be an awards darling.

Go see it whenever you can. Seriously.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
@tomahawk... your review reminds me, I just watched Detective Pikachu this weekend!

Detective Pikachu
As someone who isn’t exactly an actively involved Pokemon fan but actually watched the show itself and played a few of its games for a part of his childhood, I was in a middle-ground level of understanding regarding this franchise. Even with the former being considered, I still understood several of the many in-jokes scattered throughout the story. The main reason why I watched this movie, however, was due to Ryan Reynolds’ involvement as Detective Pikachu himself. First hearing about his role as Pikachu, I anticipated boatloads of expletives and non family-friendly humor to come as a result; fortunately for families like @Snoo’s, this was not the case and Ryan only snuck in a handful of swears here or there. I must admit, however, that Detective Pikachu himself was the primary source of comic relief (and adorability). The plot was definitely solid, with a lot of plot twists chucked in there; “That’s a twist. That’s very twisty...” comes to mind when discussing these, which I’ll exclude for the purpose of keeping this review spoiler-free. The villain is one you won’t see coming, as well as one with understandable motives and goals. In terms of the negatives, there are few. One complaint is that the main character’s (unfortunately, not Detective Pikachu) name is mentioned few times, and as a result I can’t remember his name. Another, albeit a petty one, is the lack of music in the movie. Being a fan of 1970s and 1980s music meant the trailer gave me some expectation that Detective Pikachu was going to have songs in it. This wasn’t the case. All in all, I genuinely enjoyed Detective Pikachu; it’s a movie that Pokemon fans, families with kids even as well as teens and adults can watch together and love.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Tried to see Detective Pikachu last week... went to my local cinema, sat down alone in the empty theatre (not surprising; I'd say a third of the time I visit this theatre it's almost empty), only for one of the staff guys to inform me that their projector was busted.

Don't know when I'll see it then.

peep

CF Legend
Good day at the cinema started with Booksmart. Loved it, there were several moments which I found hilarious and there was a lot more character development than I was expecting. I also just loved the characters and how they acted/talked. Highly recommend!

Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 4DX. The film is good, the visuals are incredible and the score is pretty decent. The 4DX elements - when they finally worked (had to restart twice) - were ridiculous, so much rain and insane chair movements. It really added to the experience and I had a great time.

Ma - I was not a fan of this. I thought the premise was decent enough but even though it had been ages since I saw the trailer the entire film is in there so I knew exactly what was coming, wtf? I think the audience reactions made it a bit more enjoyable, lots of laughing at just incredibly bizarre characters choices etc.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Rocketman: Was hesitant going in, but this is what Bohemian Rhapsody should have been. Taron is amazing, and just a well done movie.

Also, saw this as a good moment for my rankings so far for the year. I'm only at 21, so definitely going to miss 100 this year, but here's where I think they all rank. Note, Endgame is that high because of what it did for MCU...

Booksmart
Endgame
Green Book
Rocketman
Favourite
HTTYD 3
Captain Marvel
Detective Pikachu
Shazam
Us
Longshot
Lego Movie 2
Glass
Aladdin
Upside
Bumblebee
Alita
Isnt it Romantic
What Men Want
Dumbo
Little

So this week I'll be adding Godzilla and Wick 3. Gonna see a lot this summer.

Aladdin
This was never one of my favourite Disney films growing up, but I watched it again about a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know a lot of the whining comes from comparisons between the animated version and this version, such as making Jasmine a feminist and all that stuff, but I haven't watched the original enough to over analyze so maybe that is why I was able to enjoy it more than some of the critics. I liked the visuals, I didn't mind the casting whatsoever including Will Smith who I actually thought was fab as the Genie, it had some funny parts, and I didn't think the minor changes to the plot really detracted from it. Overall I actually really enjoyed it, as I have with all of the other live action Disney films.
8/10

It Comes at Night
What the heck was this atrocity? The time I spent watching this movie would have been better spent staring at a wall, which would probably have more character development and plot substance. Nothing comes at night. Nothing HAPPENS. The premise is promising and the start of the film is promising (maybe like the first 3 minutes) and then it just lets you sit there waiting for excitement that never comes. A family is paranoid, they let another family seek refuge with them, the other family is nice, the dog gets sick with the illness, the family thinks the other family is sick because the little boy went close to the dog, so they kill them within about 35 seconds. The end.
2/10

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
X-Men Dark Phoenix

The Fox X-Men franchise comes to a dull and whimpering end in a film so bland you'll find yourself thinking, "oh yeah, forgot there were aliens in this" every time they pop back up on screen. There is absolutely no enjoyment to be had with this at all, from the cheap looking and generic action sequences to the lack of another classic Quicksilver scene.

James F

Hyper Poster
*MA

Made me cringe, but for the right reasons. While the film is very conventional (if you've seen the likes of misery, you'll know what I'm talking about) it is helped by Olivia Spencer wide eyed and surprisingly layed performance. Some parts were actually quite funny as well, depending on your sense of humour, I feel film could of been cut down a little bit, but overall an enjoyable experience

High 7/10

*Rocketman

When the film began I was a little worried it would turn into a juke box musical like Mamma Mia, luckily, while it includes a good number of Elton's songs, it uses them well to tie them into the narrative and create surprisingly deep character development for a mainstream biopic. Would definitely watch it again.

High 8/10

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Toy Story 4 - It's good, very funny in places and also quite emotional towards the end. Not as brilliant as the third though. The animation is superb and the way lighting and rain interacted with everything was incredible. Duke Kaboom was a brilliant new character, enjoyed every scene he was in.

Gonna be watching a whole bunch at the weekend but I've missed Late Night, did anyone get a chance to see it?

Edward M

Strata Poster
I loved Toy Story 4 so much more than I'd anticipated. I've found all the Pixar sequels outside the Toy Story saga to be quite meh. Nothing offensive (besides Cars 2) but also mostly unnecessary. So, when I found out Toy Story, a staple of my childhood, was getting another sequel after its nearly perfect ending in 3, I was not excited. Then, the reviews came in and said it was not only good but up to par with the rest of the trilogy. After seeing it, I completely agree. It's at least on par with the third, if not better. Every new character introduced is an absolutely joy, with Duke Kaboom and Forky being stand outs. (Also Keanu Reeves being the breakout star of 2019?!? Didn't see it coming but I love it!!) It says a lot that I haven't bought a toy in God knows how long, and I have the urge to buy a little Forky toy (guess I could just make it instead though ;)).

While I still think the third has the best ending for the whole cast of characters, Woody's arc always felt a bit incomplete. In this film, his character finally gets his due. I won't spoil it, but the ending is exactly what I was hoping it would be, remedying some of the issues I have with the franchise. Here's a spoiler section that's LONG. (my post doesn't seem to be showing the spoilers if a mod could somehow fix that. It may just be my computer though.)

So ya I'm kinda in love with this film, sorry not sorry.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
A few more...

Godzilla: King of CGI

It's a monster movie **** show. I enjoyed to turn my brain off, but I wouldnt have paid for it outside my subscription.

Men in Black: International

It's campy as hell, but again, popcorn.

Dark Phoenix

None of these actors wanted to be in this, and it ****ing showed. This was awful.

Toy Story 4

Telegraphed from the start, but it was good. Not as good as HTTYD3 but the animation was absolutely stunning.

peep

CF Legend
Dark Phoenix

None of these actors wanted to be in this, and it ****ing showed. This was awful.

Yeah I'm avoiding this one, I haven't enjoyed the previous 2 X-Men films and this one just looked like hot garbage. It boggles my mind that the person who fluffed up with this storyline the first time with X-Men: The Last Stand was given the chance to mess it up again.