What's new

"Now Showing"

Captain America Civil War.

Superheroes throw each other into buildings for two hours. The end.

Re: "Now Showing"

If you're referring to Batman vs Superman, then yes. Loads better.

Having said that, having dog s**t smeared in my eyes for almost three hours would have been better than Batman vs Superman.

Captain America was **** brilliant I loved it.

Batman v Superman wasn't as bad as everyone says but it was a bit meh.

I hope you appreciate my in depth analysis.

Captain America: Civil War

Already seen this twice. First time was FakeIMAX 3D and then again in 2D. First of all, 3D is unnecessary but IMAX is great.

I love the film, I think it spends enough time with each character and still made it feel like Captain America's film. It gave enough time to introduce new characters, make them feel integral to the storyline and not just thrown in for fun. Talking of fun, it has plenty of amusing moments which is great because with quite a (can't think of a better term) dark plot it needs the lighter moments to keep it entertaining. Although the camera work in the action sequences is way too messy they're still entertaining set pieces without being too indulgent. I think the villain of the piece is interesting but I won't say any more in case peeps still want to go in spoiler free. Overall it's my favourite of the Marvel films, right behind Captain America: Winter Soldier. The Russo brothers certainly know what they're doing and I'm excited to see what they do with the next Avengers films.

Look who's back

I heard about this German film a while back but Netflix recently added it and if you're after something quite surreal/quirky I'd suggest you check it out. It's a 'what if' film (based on a book) on if Hitler randomly just appeared in modern day Germany. It's amusing here and there, they've used a clever mix between scripted scenes and hidden camera/documentary style scenes (it's very hard to tell sometimes where that line is). They've tied it all into modern politics quite nicely (due to the refugee crisis creating a stir in Germany) and it makes you think a bit. I enjoyed the film even if lots of it are very far fetched and the ending is a bit weird.

Peep has pretty much summed up Captain America: Civil War for me. Really good action film - it's amazing that it came out of the same studio as that Age of Ultron trash - using the same characters and actors. It not like there was any less action in it really either. I watched it in iMax - first time iMax for me - and it was brilliant. I wasn't sure what to expect as it's one of those things people always go on about, but it really did make a difference to the experience.

I also took MMF to see Jungle Book a couple of weekends ago. I've got really mixed feelings about it.

I seem to be in a minority about loving the Disney film. It's like my Disney film? Probably the first one I remember watching at the cinema. I had an audio tape of it too. I love the setting, the music and the characters... Apart from Mowgli who is an arrogant, annoying brat. He is in the original book too and he continues to be in the new film.

His character in all three is often just plain unlikable. There are a few moments in the film though where they try to shoehorn in the cartoon elements of Mowgli with the live actor. Near the start he does a very forced walk to look like the cartoon version, and when he goes up the steps in the temple he goes on all fours just like in the cartoon.

I think that sums up a lot of the film. It doesn't quite know if it's recreating the original the book or breaking new ground. There's a mix of things and it doesn't always feel settled. I did like the way they wove some of the original story elements into the film, I just think they should have maybe gone even further in that direction - but then there was a chance of alienating fans of the original cartoon completely.

The scene with Ka just seemed superfluous. I can't quite understand why it was there. It always felt a bit out of place in the cartoon too, but there was at least a great song and it was used as a plot device later on.

I thought Christopher Walken as a mafia boss King Louis was inspired. It worked really well and then... The remake of the song. OMG. Awful. I may be suffering from "change is bad" syndrome, but why was he a gigantopitheicus? Why did they have the pronounced oooo sound (when in the rest of his speech he's eloquent)? It just jarred compared to the rest of the scene. I know they needed a big baddy chase sequence, but it just didn't work as the ending of that scene.

I'd like to ignore the Lion King scene, but can't. It felt like such a direct copy rather than a playful reference. I know something similar is in the original story, but they really didn't have to do such a copy.

I loved Idris Elba as Shere Khan and his tigery ways made MMF jump a few times which goes to show the suspense and menace the character created.

People have already mentioned the stunning animation and how gorgeous the film is, and it is. Not much else to say there.

My issue with the film is pretty much the same issue I have with the original cartoon. Annoying protagonist and bits that just don't work. In the original it was copy and paste animation, in this it's copy and paste bits of the original that don't quite work.

The thing is, I enjoyed the film overall, despite the failings; just as I do the original. It's a film for kids (and I do think that a film for kids can also be a film for adults, but you have to give a bit of leeway) that my kid, and the other kids I know have seen, it adore. True, they will also eat their own feces if left unattended too long so I wouldn't accept their culinary advice, but they are still a yard stick to measure by.

It was brilliant, annoying, annoying, brilliant, okay, meh, great, annoying, copying, superb, telegraphed ending. Maybe not in that order, but that was the emotional journey I went on :)

7/10, maybe 9/10 if you're under 11?

I also watched Eddie The Eagle recently. I thought it was exactly what I was expecting it to be. A British feelgood movie about somebody overcoming all odds to come in last. It's what we do best :p

Best comment from madame_furie was "it was all a bit predictable!" Well, yeah, it's a true story and if you were alive in the 80's you wouldn't be able to avoid it. It's not like they completely changed the ending or anything. It was what it was. If you don't want your historical film ruined, don't live through the time period it happened. BTW Madame_F, the Hitler will always suffer defeat in WWII as well :p

It's the kind of film I love if I'm in the right mood for something a bit feel-goody (not often, but it does happen) so thought it was excellent. Great acting, lovely pacing and the obvious ending ;) 9/10

^Kinda sad I missed Eddie the Eagle, glad you enjoyed it.

Ratchet and Clank

Based off the popular Playstation games it treads pretty much the same story as the first game. Like the games it pokes fun at typical plot points etc, unfortunately the script isn't quite good enough to make it work and a lot of the time it falls flat. However the voice acting is great and it looks gorgeous (the textures and fur are excellent), it's just a shame the script sort of lets it down so it's not as good as it should be.

Florence Foster Jenkins

Based on the real story of an eccentric rich lady in New York who wants to sing on stage I found this extremely entertaining. A wonderful film with great performances all round and a story that puts a smile on your face.

Bad Neighbours 2

I really enjoyed the first film, found it very funny - if a little too awkward in places. This film treads extremely similar ground with more awkward jokes that fail and ridiculous ways to try and keep going. It was watchable but I didn't laugh all that much and most of it was more shock value or more "jokes" about weed (a line of comedy I just don't get). Meh.

Seth Rogen doing weed jokes? Neverrrrr...

Civil War (imax)

Knowing the story of the comics, I was interested in how it wold translate. Then they got the rights for Spidey, and they recast again, and I was more annoyed with it. With the **** load of tv spots giving away most movie twists now, I made a very conscious effort to avoid anything other than theatrical trailers. Some 20 tv spots later the movie finally comes out.

Loved the airport fight scene. I love the more Captain America centric films because they aren't a bang bang action, there's his morality that plays such a strong role in it as well and I like Chris Evans as Cap. This one I really enjoyed until the ending. It borderline ruined the movie and I was expecting one ending but got something that felt half assed.

Tom Holland was great as Spiderman and Black Panther was great as well and they did a great casting choice for both. Just overall new characters really added something, and this movie felt like it had a soul, much more than Martha v Martha and the last Avengers film.

Gonna see it again with my brother so maybe I won't hate the ending as much then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

just got round to watching pixels

golden-turd-300x208.jpg

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

It was alright. Made me laugh a couple of times. The obvious pisstake of that annoying t**t David Blane was very entertaining.

furie said:
I also watched Eddie The Eagle recently. I thought it was exactly what I was expecting it to be. A British feelgood movie about somebody overcoming all odds to come in last. It's what we do best :p

Best comment from madame_furie was "it was all a bit predictable!" Well, yeah, it's a true story and if you were alive in the 80's you wouldn't be able to avoid it. It's not like they completely changed the ending or anything. It was what it was. If you don't want your historical film ruined, don't live through the time period it happened. BTW Madame_F, the Hitler will always suffer defeat in WWII as well :p

It's the kind of film I love if I'm in the right mood for something a bit feel-goody (not often, but it does happen) so thought it was excellent. Great acting, lovely pacing and the obvious ending ;) 9/10

I didn't really like it that much. I believe Eddie's actual life story would be much more interesting to put on the screen than the one that was actually presented (I've heard he once bargained to stay in a Finnish mental hospital for a pound a day when he was training up North). Also the fact that the 90m hill was presented in such matter made me cringe a bit. 90m hill was actually the smaller of the two on Calgary Olympics and Eddie did also jump on the larger, 120m one.
I guess I've just expected a bit more from the movie...

Captain America Civil War
I was finally able to see it, and wow, it was really good. Better than Age of Ultron in my opinion. The portrayal of Spider Man in this movie was the best portrayal of Spider Man I have seen. The plot was intriguing, and I love the darker, grittier feel that these new MCU movies have recently had. Must see, highly recommended. Can't wait for Infinity War!

Captain America: Civil War

I always thought this should have just been "Avengers 3," (and it could have been honestly), but you still get a good sense that it's Cap's film. I really enjoyed this, airport scene was the highlight, as well as that earlier chase scene with Black Panther's intro. While the premise was easy to catch on, the conflict with Winter Soldier had me a bit confused at times (didn't help that I haven't scene the first two Cap films), but I wasn't totally lost. I thought it was just plain fun to see them all go "alright we better hash things out" with an all out brawl. Spidey was good fun. Black Panther was badass. I haven't scene the Antman movie so I enjoyed seeing his shenanigans. I got a kick out of how a couple of them happened to be there just for :dontswear:s. I liked how this didn't have a lot of in-your-face jokes compared to other Marvel films, but focused more on lighthearted moments.

So yeah, it's the same old great action you'd expect from a Marvel film, so many fun characters. Great stuff.

Angry Birds movie

I saw this out of intrigue. It was ok. There were some amusing moments and the animation was of really good quality. It doesn't fully work but it's watchable.

Green room

I'd heard great things about this but still didn't know too much about it. It was simply excellent. It's quite a slow build and the situation just gets worse as it time goes on and the tension builds, keeping you gripped. So when the unexpected moments of intense gore happened they were actually shocking. It's also got a bit of humour thrown in which make it an enjoyable watch. I really recommend you guys check it out.

X-Men: Whatever This One is Called

Entertaining enough, and looked amazing in parts, especially in Imax 3D. They're all much of a muchness though really, aren't they?

The Boy

Started watching it without knowing anything, but then the story stated to ring a bell and I realised that Taylor had ruined it through spoilers on here. So, yeah. Would've been ok though I guess, and it's not like I wouldn't have seen the big "surprise" coming.

The Green Inferno

Entertaining enough gorefest with zero actual substance.

The Jungle Book

For some unknown reason we got this late, so only just saw it last night. It's never been one of favourite Disney classics, but I really liked this version. As others have said, it looks amazing. I knew it was going to be heavy on visuals so spent the extra few quid to see it in Imax and it's definitely worth it.

I liked that they'd gone for scientific accuracy with the animal species. Well, apart from the whole talking thing, but you know what I mean. All of the animals were actually Indian species, and they'd made a decent attempt to explain the King Louie character given that orangutans don't live in India. I liked that it was actually pretty dark, and potentially quite scary for younger kids.

The kid actor went from being quite good in parts, to totally s**te in others though. Also, the two songs could've been left out. I personally hate both of them, always have, and they were a distraction here, a badly performed distraction at that. I did like how some of the original music was used to underscore the film though, for example Trust in Me is used really well without actually having it sung (until the end credits anyway).

Anyway, it gives me hope that Beauty and the Beast might be decent.

Edit Just saw this:

furie said:
I thought Christopher Walken as a mafia boss King Louis was inspired. It worked really well and then... The remake of the song. OMG. Awful. I may be suffering from "change is bad" syndrome, but why was he a gigantopitheicus?

I took it as being down to the fact that you don't get orangutans in India, whereas all the other animals were accurate. The idea that a gigantopithicus is surviving out in the jungle somewhere, while equally silly, works better I think. It allows for making him massive and menacing, something that orangutans just aren't.

I'm not saying it worked.

Seen a few films recently and I'll be seeing another 3 on Monday.

Whiskey Foxtrot Tango

I wanted to see this film so much I paid silly money to see it at a rubbish cinema in central London, urgh. Still, I'm glad I saw it, the cast were awesome. It's a really fun little film about reporters out in Afghanistan.

X-Men: Apocalypse

I'm a fan of the X-Men franchise, I really liked the idea of them going back to the start of things with First Class and I really enjoyed the film. Days of Futures Past was kinda terrible and the trailers made this one look dire. The film starts off really well with an epic set-up in Ancient Egypt, then it has a really cool opening title sequence. Unfortunately there's not many great things to be said about the rest of the film. They try to juggle with too many characters and fail miserably. It's still an enjoyable film to watch but there's far too many issues with it to call it a good film. The Apocalypse character is a bit lame and his henchmen (aside from Magneto) are barely seen or heard which makes them rather useless. I saw someone compare Jennifer Lawrence's performance in this to her role in the Hunger Games and it's so accurate I can't get that idea out of my head. So overall it is rather X-Meh.

Sing Street

This film was an absolute delight to watch. I love 80s tunes anyway but a film set in the 80s where a kid sets up a band to impress a girl and creates equally awesome new 80s tunes? I'm totally obsessed with this film. I have listened to the soundtrack pretty much on repeat all week. It's just a really nice film with a great sense of humour and if you get a chance to see it, do!

Hologram for the King

I went in expecting a fun drama and it got off to a racey start with a cool music video parody (seen in one of the trailers, there's a cred involved!). Then it goes downhill really slowly. I can't stress how slowly this film progresses. Tom Hanks just plays himself which is fine but the story just is a bit dull. I like some of the supporting characters but the film is a bit of a mess so you only get so much of any of them before it just switches to some other tangent. While there's the odd moment that's enjoyable I wouldn't recommend anyone put themselves through it. It should be noted that the audience surrounding me were laughing lots at things totally not funny which was infuriating.

The Nice guys

I was looking forward to this film and it is rather fun. Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling work well off each other which makes the film very watchable. Some parts of the film drag on a bit though and I think the trailer was so well cut to make it look like a comedy that when you see the full cut of the funny bits they don't work as well. Still, it's enjoyable.

Alice through the looking glass

Decided to see this in IMAX 3D because it seemed like it would be great in this format. It was. The visuals are absolutely amazing. I don't think the story is as strong in this one but there are quite a few moments I liked throughout (the adorable little seconds <3 ). But yeah if you hated the first one, don't bother with this.