What's new

"Now Showing"

Context: He hates the Lord of the Rings films too. ;)

The Hobbit films are all fab, especially as someone who has read the appendices and wanted to see them play out. The problem is LotR was pretty much as perfect as a fantasy epic film series can be, The Hobbit films are all great in their own right (except the Dwarf/Elf love story which can die in a ditch) and I thoroughly look forward to getting the extended blu rays of all three for my birthday next year, because it should have been longer.

There was no reason for this to be three films, two you could stretch, but one would've been fine. Just saw the third one yesterday, and enjoyable but just filler ****.

"Now Showing"

ECG said:
Saw Peter's Jackson's self indulgent The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies with the wife the other day and almost wish I hadn't. I guess it's a good example of how to take a few paragraphs from a book and make it into a two and a half hour film, but unlike the brilliant Lord of the Rings trilogy that could have been made even longer, these Hobbit movies should have been condensed into a single film that stuck with the book. I like the first Hobbit film and the second one was ok, but the third was just painful to watch due to all the liberties taken. It's no wonder that the Tolkien family refuses to sell the rights to any of his other work.

This is how I felt as well, the Hobbit films are far too long and drawn out for me, I hate to think they will be even longer when they bring them out on dvd.

The Lord of the Rings and I loved so had high hopes for these and yes I did enjoy the 2nd one up the the dragon point which went on far too long just ruined it.

I am going to wait for the dvd of this one so I can stop and start it when I get bored again. Even people I know who love the books and the films have said this is the worst one.

For me, the Hobbit was let down by the over-use of cgi on most of the characters and backdrops, whereas LOTR had actual people in make up as orcs and proper forced perspective in use over green screen... Didn't help when a lot of the cgi looked worse than stuff in the 90s either... It just shows that the Hobbit lacked the love and attention that made the LOTR trilogy so wonderful and real...

Plus the unnecessary love story </3

Daft Punk's Electroma

Really confused. The story was not clear enough and had no music or dialogue. I was really disappointed that they didn't add the music from Human After All. The ending was weird and I don't know what exactly happened.
They commit suicide by self destruct and lighting themselves on fire.
But the movie had great cinematography and it has a good enough moral. I started watching a version with music made by a fan and it gives it a better atmosphere. But I didn't expect much from it considering Daft Punk always makes this type of stuff. I prefer Interstella 5555 over this.

5/10

Dumb and Dumber To

**** hilarious. Potentially even better than the first. If you liked the first one, you won't be disappointed in the slightest!

If you didn't like the first one, you're broken. :p

Watched a few recently...

Night of the Museum 3. These films are watchable family affair, nothing great but ok. This one was no different to the others but it was set in London so wins extra bonus points. Made me really sad when the credits reminded me that Robin Williams is no longer with us :(

Big Eyes. I enjoyed this, I love the cast and the story is bizarre (the court room scene towards the end is quite unusual). It's also great to see Tim Burton doing a normal drama again.

Unbroken. What a powerful and emotional story, the cast were absolutely superb. Jack O'Connell is a brilliant actor, he just seems to be going from strength to strength (annoyed I missed '71, I heard so many great things) and I hope he sees a lot of award attention in the New Year.

I also got the Purge and Purge: Anarchy on Blu-ray. The films intrigued me but I didn't get a chance to see either at the cinema. I really enjoyed both, very different films and neither played out how I expected. I love the whole Purge concept, I think it's a really interesting (and horrific) idea.

The Interview

Before all the bull ****, I was excited to see this as I typically enjoy Rogen/Franco movies, despite the excessive weed jokes. We got it through Xbox video and the wife and I sat down to watch it. I enjoyed it for what it was, a really stupid comedy. Did they go a little far, of course. They rehashed a few things from Pineapple Express, and you definitely lose some of the humor not being in a crowded theater.

Penguins of Madagascar

A new year's eve film with Stone Cold as he had a free ticket <3
It wasn't a particularly great film, not going to lie, neither of us were particularly enthralled, I only heard Richard laugh once. I did laugh at a few occasions throughout the film but they haven't added enough content to keep adults satisfied with the film. I understand that it isn't aimed at adults but adults are likely to take their kids to see the film so there needs to be something in there for them, overall I was disappointed.

The Seventh Son

Worst film I've seen in a long, long time. It's a fetid turd of a movie in every way. The script is appalling. Things happen for no reason other than total coincidence. The acting is atrocious, and it shouldn't be since it's actually got an amazing cast.

Why the hell Julianne Moore read the script and agreed to do it is a **** ing mystery. She's a fantastic actress, but she was absolutely **** in this. If she doesn't win one of those Razzie things I'll be stunned.

Awful, awful piece of **** that shouldn't have been made.

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

I agree with what has been said about The Hobbit. Lord of the Rings is by far my favourite work of fiction of all time. The book was brilliant and I love the films even more. The Hobbit, while enjoyable, only made me want to watch LotR again (for the 50th time). The last film was no exception. I enjoyed it, had a good time with my bud, but it won't stick with me for longer than a year. I already remembered very little of the previous films when I watched this one. I do have to mention that I absolutely loved the book (The Hobbit).

The Theory of Everything.

I thought the performances in this film were extraordinary, superb casting. The film at times became a little dull and there were a few moments which didn't work in the way they were intended because pretty much everyone is aware that Stephen Hawking is still alive etc.

Birdman

Was really looking forward to this but I felt a little disappointed by the end. Parts of it were great, the way they made it has completely bamboozled me but there were moments which sort of ruined it for me (including the ending). Maybe it was too clever for me to fully enjoy.

Paddington

I went to see Paddington again because it's brilliant. If you haven't seen it then get yourself down to the cinema and see it!

The Theory of Everything

I really really enjoyed it, such amazing acting, and a really decent portrayal of Stephen Hawking's life. Eddie Redmayne plays the part amazingly, such a quality, talented actor.

I hadn't thought of what Peep brought up about people know he's alive so some scenes don't 'work', to be fair, when I was watching it I didn't even think about that and I remember feeling very nervous and thinking, noooo at times without thinking, but I'm not giving anything else away.

You gotta go see it!

Chef

Had never heard of it, wife an I watched it on NYE, and I absolutely loved it. Such a great movie, and just had every emotion done so well.

Gone Girl

I missed this at the cinema, but got around to watching it a couple of days ago. I was close to not bothering since I really liked the book and it's rare that a film adaptation ever lives up to that, but this was a really decent version, probably because the original author wrote the screenplay. You don't get into the characters anywhere near as much - it's much more focused on the basic events of the story - but it stuck with the overall atmosphere and intensity of the book really well.

Big Hero Six

Went to see this last night after kind of putting it off for a couple of weeks. I liked it. Story-wise it was predictable, but it's primarily aimed at kids, so that's to be expected. There were enough adult laughs in there to keep it entertaining, and the animation is fantastic.

The Imitation Game

Much better than I anticipated, and Cumberbatch was fantastic. This is going to come off sounding bad, as I've tried phrasing it several different ways which all sound worse, but I am glad they didn't focus the entirety of the movie on him being gay, rather just placed the necessary amount on it. It was, I think, respectful in the way they did it as they didn't belittle him by claiming the movie was made simply because he was gay, but rather focused on his accomplishments, and his historical significance to the war. Very good film and worth a watch. Cumberbatch will definitely clean up come awards time.

Unbroken

Based on a true story and it is absolutely amazing. It didn't go on too long at all, each section in the film was very important to the plot and just the right length.

The acting and the sets were amazing and so believable, it was a heartbreaking but an uplifting story, I really liked the film. If all of Angelina Jolie's films are like this in the future she has one heck of a directing career.

Into the woods

At first it was a little slow and too much use of the same musical theme but as the film progressed I really got into it and there were some fantastic scenes. I liked the set designs and how it was like a stage set but with a feature like budget.

Foxcatcher

Was really looking forward to seeing this. The performances are fantastic but the film moves at a snails pace and it's very tiresome with very little dialogue or explanation. It was actually quite frustrating to watch. Biggest disappointment of 2015 so far.