What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Thor: The Dark World

Meh. Maybe it would've helped if I'd seen more of the Marvel films, but I just found it dull. Yeah, it looks good, but the story is crap; it's basically just stuff going smashy smashy.

The main saving grace is Kat Dennings, even if she basically just plays the same character as she does in 2 Broke Girls, only not as slutty.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I watched it last night with Maxi-Minor_Furie. It's a bit better than usual, but yeah it's much the same thing as them all.

I didn't feel I'd wasted two hours of my life, but I'm never going to dedicate another two hours to watching it again. The Krax they serve at Stafford are delicious though, so they made it worthwhile going to see.

MMF loved the film however, which for a long "grown up" film actually means a huge amount as he's difficult to keep entertained for that long.

peep

CF Legend
Philomena

I really liked this film. It's quite sad but it's broken up with a decent amount of amusement. I recommend it to all.

Ender's game

I really enjoyed this one too. The special effects are brilliant and it's a bit different. I might grab the book once I've finished reading what I'm on at the moment.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Saw Thor 2 today. I'm not really one for the Marvel films, this was my second. It started slow but the cinematics were outstanding and it was very, very funny in places. Genius film.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Thor: The Dark World​

I saw Thor 2. Probably my third favourite marvel film, behind Ironman and The Avengers. Lets face it, this was Loki's film. Tom Hiddleston owns that role and hope he sticks around for more Loki goodness. Chris Hemsworth was great also, I found him in Thor a little wooden, but he's great in this one. All the other side characters were great and none really annoyed me. Malekith could of been better. He was a threat and took command when it's his scene but he never got me fearing him much. At least it was a real villain this time, thank you Marvel.

The film was very funny (as are most of the phase 2 Marvel films). I think sometimes the humour got a bit much, but not to the point where I didn't take the film seriously (like Iron Man 3). The action was great and so was the dialogue. Some scenes got quite deep and I found this the darkest out of the Marvel Films.

Overall Thor: The Dark World is a great, action-packed film that had great humour, yet a serious tone. I recommend you see it. Obviously don't expect the greatest film ever made, but expect to have a good time while watching it. Plus the ending is pretty special too.

Score - 8.5/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: "Now Showing"

Thor 2

Thoroughly enjoyed it because I don't expect much from them and I like popcorn movies. Great popcorn movie, much better than the excuse of movies that are the first Thor and Ironman 3. Really looking forward to Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. Also Kat Dennings is amazing.

peep

CF Legend
Saving Mr. Banks

Absolutely fantastic film from start to finish. Emotions definitely run high and it's all down to the soundtrack and Emma Thompson being phenomenal. Due to being so hyped about seeing the film I was concerned it wouldn't be that great but it sure delivered. I was very close to welling up at the end so if you get emotional easily you might want an entire box of tissues with you :p

I think I read that it's the first major collaboration between Disney and the BBC. I found that interesting.

peep

CF Legend
5 films in more than a month? Yeah, should be able to beat last year's count quite easily :p

Yes, Philomena is a really nice film, funny and then really sad.

Gravity broke my heart, and not because it was powerful or emotional, but because it didn't come even half as close to being as good as people said. Visually it was good, but I felt very little for the characters so I couldn't get emotionally attached to the story at all.

Six

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The visuals of Gravity were certainly stunning, and I think this is the first film I've seen to ever implement all three of Newton's laws of motion. I also look greatly forward to see the "behind the scenes" for this movie, as there were many interesting shots - the opening sequence, for one, is one quarter of an hour long, changing perspective all the while. Whoever did the CGI deserve a prize for it.

I'm usually the worst person ever to watch a movie with, picking on whatever I find unrealistic, but I couldn't find any factual inaccuracies in this one (okay, maybe a couple, but it's several orders of magnitude less than usual - After Earth, for instance, was nothing but a cavalcade of stupid). It was very well made in regard to how things work in zero gravity and vacuum. I even found out that the film makers had considered giving all the three visited locations/objects proper orbits, but that ended up wasting half the script explaining orbital mechanics. Kudos for addressing it, though.

Bonus points also go to the lack of an antagonist (apart from sir Isaac Newtwon and a certain Murphy, that is) and a love interest. The addition of either would just have made the movie silly (or sillier, depending on your view).
The five-second glimpse of the interior of the Chinese Space Station is either hilarious, or offensive, or both. The three things you get to see in there are a pair of ping pong rackets, chess pieces, and a room full of rice plants. Way to play on the stereotypes!

Gravity can be compared to Avatar in how it uses the 3D format. Yes, there are a couple of floating objects coming out of the screen, but in general it's quite subtly done.

In total, I'd say Gravity was worth it for the visuals alone. Just make sure to watch it in 3D. I'll be surprised if this one doesn't get an Oscar for best visual effects.

^ Visuals don't impress me enough JUST to enjoy or see a movie for that reason alone. Yes, it adds to the experience, but to rely on visuals alone is a bit crap. I also like when movies are accurate, but once again, I'd rather have an interesting film with some inaccuracies than a mediocre film with no accuracies.

peep

CF Legend
The Butler

I'm getting fed up of films which try to cram in a whole person's life story and sprinkle it with a story arc to try and make it fill full. What you always end up with is just a random selection of scenes which briefly tell tiny parts of someone's life and a forced on emotional journey to try and make it flow. I know it's based off someone's actual life but in film form I just don't think it works. You just find yourself starting to attach yourself to a character or scenario and then whoosh, you're 20 years further along the lifeline with all that you were growing attached to gone. This film deals with it quite badly with some of the jumps forward really jarring, sudden and also skipping a huge chunk of his life story. Don't get me wrong there are some great performances in there but for me it just doesn't work. Doesn't matter anyway, these sort of films are made purely for award season and not actual enjoyment. Oh and joy, we have loads of films like this one heading our way. :roll:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
House of Versace

I thought it was going to be a documentary. It was actually a made-for-TV movie about the Versace family just before and right after Gianni's murder. It was **** ing abysmal, and not even in an "it's so bad it's good" way. Just total crap.

Dead Girl

Quite gross and disturbing. It was decent enough film, but it's not something I enjoyed or would watch again. I'm still trying to decide if it was just being shocking for the sake of it.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Very good if you're into the books and/or enjoyed the first film. What I like about these films is that they really manage to capture the world of the books really well. If you didn't like the first film, then you won't like this either, but I quite like this series.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally got to see The World's End

I love Shaun of the Dead and I think Hot Fuzz is good. I also love Spaced - so I'm quite a Pegg/Wright fan generally.

It was "okay". I like the fact Simon Pegg out "twatted" Martin Freeman (who I think is a twat and generally dislike in films) - it took some doing. I liked that it was generally kind of "constant smile" stuff. I think I actually laughed properly once or twice, but it's a general good humour kind of film that works. I liked what they were trying to do with it too, with all the nods and references. However...

It just felt like a collection of ideas bundled together, rather than an actually well thought out film in its own right. It just wasn't quite fully fledged.

So yeah, it was okay. It's not awful, but it's not anywhere near as close to a Shaun of the Dead as you can get.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Finally got to see The World's End

I love Shaun of the Dead and I think Hot Fuzz is good. I also love Spaced - so I'm quite a Pegg/Wright fan generally.

It was "okay". I like the fact Simon Pegg out "twatted" Martin Freeman (who I think is a twat and generally dislike in films) - it took some doing. I liked that it was generally kind of "constant smile" stuff. I think I actually laughed properly once or twice, but it's a general good humour kind of film that works. I liked what they were trying to do with it too, with all the nods and references. However...

It just felt like a collection of ideas bundled together, rather than an actually well thought out film in its own right. It just wasn't quite fully fledged.

So yeah, it was okay. It's not awful, but it's not anywhere near as close to a Shaun of the Dead as you can get.

Damn! I wanted to see that movie! I love Simon Pegg's work. But they didn't distribute it to PR. :(

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RIPD

Was expecting ****, and got ****. Just a really really bad Men in Black ripoff 10 years too late.

Catching Fire

This series so far is fantastic in the adaptation department, showing how it should be done (looking at Harry Potter, which is more influenced by rather than an adaptation, but that's an argument for a different day). Jennifer Lawrence is awesome, and it is gritty where it needs to be. They fixed the garbage CG of the first one with the blobs they called dogs,which was the worst part of the first one. I am looking forward to part one of Mockingjay, but seeing how **** the end of the book was and how over politicized it was, the second half isn't as exciting to me.

I watched the first Hunger Games installment, and I have to say I was fairly disappointed. I thought there would be a lot more action and less weirdness of them being in some sci-fi weird world thing. I picked it up for less than ten dollars so it wasn't the worst waste of money in the world, but I doubt I'll be watching it again soon nor rushing to the theatre to see the second. Jennifer Lawrence is definitely a redeeming feature of the movie though, she's definitely a cutie. #notlesbian

6.5/10