What's new

"Now Showing"

Will

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
Explain yourself thoroughly and with proper reasoning, otherwise go away and leave people alone with your 'holier than thou' attitude.
Similarly, you know why Inception is 'mainstream'? Because it being really ****ing good means that lots of people go and see it. Go figure.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Well, I probably could, just... not at 2:00 in the morning... That smug, elitist attitude of some film type people is precisely what puts me off them. Oh? Have you seen something I've never heard of? That's fascinating, but you'll find the hated 'mainstream' would have made for much more interesting conversation. Besides, if it's not on 'The List', it can go **** itself :p

Anyway, at the risk of hypocrisy, I've just done my bit for pretentiousness and obscurity by spending 2 hours in the company of Spanish weirdness and subtitles. Yes, I'm stupid and didn't do my research, so had no idea that El laberinto del fauno... or Pan's Labyrinth as we, perhaps misleadingly call it over here, was in fact: foreign. I wasn't used to this, and that was an obstacle in itself - not a lot could be done about it, but having to read subtitles is distracting and means other details are easily missed; fortunately, dialogue seemed to be kept moreorless to a minimum, especially in more visual scenes. As for the marriage of fantastical fairytale adventure with... the Spanish civil war, and thus rather more bloodshed than I like to see at tea time, this seemed a somewhat random (for want of a better word) combination, but... somehow it worked - the fairytale scenes alone would not have been enough. Staying on that theme, as I already said on Facebook, Mr. Del Toro is armed with one impressively warped imagination - I'd met the pale man before and did not like him one little bit. Nothing had changed, and, aside from the final scenes, even the less malicious creatures were creepily sinister. If the mission was to unsettle in the non-reality scenes, then that was successfully accomplished, yet the more I think on it, the more it seems that the true monsters of the picture lurked not in the labyrinth, but on the ground above, where they'd spend best part of 90 minutes blowing hell out of each other. Yes. Another ambiguous villain I was thoroughly glad to see the back of...

Anyway, very different, and more than a little too graphic at times, but it can still have the Will seal of approval, and a comfortable mid-table position...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Will said:
Anyway, whilst I cheated a little, I've just done my bit for pretentiousness and obscurity by spending 2 hours in the company of Spanish weirdness and subtitles. Yes, I'm stupid and didn't do my research, so had no idea that El laberinto del fauno... or Pan's Labyrinth as we, perhaps misleading call it over here, was in fact: foreign.

Haha XD

I loved Pan's Labyrinth, I think it's promoted quite ambiguously over here. When I first watched it I had an inkling it was going to be quite dark, my mum on the other hand had no idea and was quite appalled at the level of violence portrayed.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
3 films today:

First up was Scott Pilgrim vs The World, first screening, first day. I was quite looking forward to it to the point I was salivating during the trailers, but I came out a tad disappointed. Why, you ask? Well, it got quite boring half way through. It just seemed to be the same thing over and over, and that bored me. It wasn't as funny as I'd have expected either, to be honest, but Edgar Wright's style was just brilliant as usual.

By no means awful in comparison as I'd have hoped (I was expecting to give it an 8/10), but a well-rounded film nonetheless.

7/10

Next up was Diary of a Wimpy Kid which I wanted to watch as it seemed like a good family/kiddy film, and it was. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not funny (all of it kiddy humour) but nicely done and great for families. A nice lil' film for the family.

6/10

And finally, I saw Inception for the 3rd time. Still epic, and now is not just one of the best films I have ever seen, by definitely one of my favourites. The only film I have ever seen in the cinema 3 times, and I still love it <3

Still 10/10 ;)

EDIT: I did a video review for them all as well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMeoxfK_X6o[/youtube]

[/plug]

Ollie

CF Legend
^^Same here. My mum said it was horrible and violent.

Saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World: tonight. Was really good fun to watch. The comic book style has been captured brilliantly and it's filmed really well. Its not as epic as I remember the trailers made it look but it's not bad and is really funny. It's not a serious film at all and it's just good fun to go and watch. I've heard it's rubbish compared to the comics but I haven't read them so couldn't give a crap. :p
8/10

Will

Strata Poster
Tonight's viewing [I'm beginning to see how this gets addictive...] took me away from the list, and to a film I'd always intended to see since catching the trailer back in 2004. And I can see why Constantine made an eye-catching trailer, yet I can also see exactly why it seems to have been forgotten since. Starting with the postives though, from a visual perspective, this is a VERY nice looking film throughout which impressive special effects and action sequences are thrown in wherever possible, though these, whilst easy on the eye, can fall into the trap of making it a little hard to follow sometimes. Similarly, the film being set in between Earth and Hell similarly gives Francis Lawrence (who?) and his team chance to exhibit stunning landscaping abilities; in short, combine the *look* of this film with a more cohesive plot and more talented cast, and I felt they could really have had a masterpiece on their hands.

Yet, obviously, this they did not do - and a good film cannot live by effects alone, the acting was considerably less than equal to them. I rarely hear a good word about Keanu Reeves, who took the main role, and while he could have been a lot worse... he could also have been a lot better. Indeed, I think I'll echo Cathy's comment that none of the cast appeared to offer a great deal by way of personality - with the noteable exception of Peter Stormare (again, who? Yes, of course I'm using Wikipedia...) whose portrayal of Lucifer had a sinister edge almost reminiscent of Heath Ledger to it... As for the plot itself, I'm going to steal the phrase 'clichéd and religiously formulaic' from the first review I click on... it wasn't without its promise, there were, as I've mentioned, some great scenes and nice ideas there - I've just found out it was based on a comic book, which might have something to do with its failings (though that in itself is failed logic when we look back at Batman Begins etc.), but all in all, it didn't gel. Which, to reitterate, was a shame because of how nice it was to look at... I don't normally do ratings, but on that basis, Constantine can have a 6.

Perhaps entirely because of its religious references, I couldn't help spending parts of the film reminded of Dogma - one of my personal favourites that I was disappointed to see IMDB had overlooked. Equipped with a star-studded cast and stubbornly refusing to take itself more seriously than strictly necessary (I think a demon composed of excrement comfortably outranks Constantine's insect-based equivalents), I now feel inclined to mention how much better it tells a vaguely similar story. If you get the choice, which is admittedly unlikely, pick Dogma... But if cool special effects alone are enough to get your approval, Constantine is still very much for you.

peep

CF Legend
Finally saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World tonight after last nights shambles.

I loved it. I felt there was a bit near the beginning that felt too mashed up and wasn't very clear but apart from that I thought it was great entertainment. Some awesome characters in there and the effects were amazing, I loved them, pee bar ftw :p I just really enjoyed watching it and it never felt dull (not too sure what everyone else is on about). Hurrah for Edgar Wright!*

Rating: 4.5/5

*Obviously Shaun of the dead is still better :p

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's rare for me to post in this topic but I've just seen an amazing film and must tell you all!

The King of Kong, A Fistful of Quarters

In a nutshell, it's a real life documentary "journey" film about trying to get the world record score on the Donkey Kong arcade game.

I have a passing interest in computer games, particularly Nintendo, which is why I added it to my Lovefilm list.

This is REAL LIFE with GROWN UP men competing against one another. I have NEVER seen a film with so much bitterness, jealously and pettiness before. It's unbelievable. It's difficult to explain but I was fascinated watching it unfold.

There's a "bad guy" and a "good guy" depending on which side you're watching it from, the person that I considered the bad guy was obsessed with himself. He's a 30-something year old man who takes himself incredibly seriously but is a complete and utter spiteful cowardly bitch. The good guy just wants to get a top score, there's no bulls*it with him.

I was glued to the film throughout it's entirety. I've always preferred factual films to fictional ones because I enjoy seeing real people expressing emotions and reacting to situations.

I was stunned by the "bad guy", I'm surprised that my head didn't fall off as I was shaking it in disbelief throughout. The "good guy" is, simply, a nice guy. An inoffensive, modest hero if you like.

Yes, there is a lot of stereotyping in the film which makes it all the better! You know the sort; blokes with thick glasses, wearing computer game t-shirts, never kissed a girl. It's amazing!

The King of Kong gave me an insight into a world where obsession focuses the mind and obscures all reality. One of the most impressionable, fascinating 90mins of television I've ever seen.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I also quite enjoyed that one. Sadly Steve Wiebe is no longer the King of Kong. Mitchell got the title back last year, but fellow New Yorker, Hank Chien, broke Mitchell's latest record (1,050,200) with a score of 1,061,700 points. Weibe has made 6 attempts this year to get the record back, but no luck so far.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I think I shall add that film to my list Ian, sounds like a film which must be watched just to see how sad (or indeed, dedicated) some grown men can be over a video game. I may even wear my Nintendo Rehabilitation t-shirt while watching...

On Thursday night I watched Children of Men which is in the IMDB top 250. I didn't know what quite to expect, but I have to say I was blown away at many points in the film - especially at the single-shot long scenes.

One sticks out in my mind as the protagonist runs through a street and buildings while gun fire, explosions and many illegal immigrants are scattered being shot and killed. The scene itself lasts for absolutely ages and the detail within the scene is mind blowing. Definitely goes down as one of my favourite actions scenes ever.

The film as a whole had a few dull moments, but was mostly filled with epicness. The film is a must-see, and I don't want to give away anything. Highly recommended.

9/10

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
The Last exorcism
Fist of all the rating.10/10! One of the best movies I have ever seen.The plot was great. It will drag you to hell bring you back then smash you with a bat in the face.There is literally no way to describe the pure horror in this movie!It is just so good.There was no excessive blood.If you ask me who was the best actor they are all the best all great actors and i can see them all being in many more movies to come.The girl was a great actress.If you can handle blood,breaking fingers, things that pop out, and a (spoiler)*cat being killed you can handle this movie!Defiantly go see this movie.

*The cat being killed has nothing to do with the plot...kinda.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Lulz, it has a 6 point something on IMDB. I miss being 12 and thinking all movies were epic...

Watched a film from my list tonight - The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! I loved Spy Hard and Airplane and almost every other comedy of this kind, and this was no exception. So much laughter I was crying at one point. Joke after joke hits you, be it a play on words or a visual joke. Leslie Nielson really is a legend in this field.

8/10

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
ciallkennett said:
^ Lulz, it has a 6 point something on IMDB. I miss being 12 and thinking all movies were epic...

Watched a film from my list tonight - The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! I loved Spy Hard and Airplane and almost every other comedy of this kind, and this was no exception. So much laughter I was crying at one point. Joke after joke hits you, be it a play on words or a visual joke. Leslie Nielson really is a legend in this field.

8/10
not all movies, I just like the lost footage type of movies the best!but I liked it because it was a horror movie I saw that wasn't just gore and blood.

ps:the most epic movie I ever saw was March of The penguins :lol: I remember being so sad when the baby penguin died.

Ben

CF Legend
jjjjustin12 said:
If you can handle blood,breaking fingers, things that pop out, and a (spoiler)*cat being killed you can handle this movie!Defiantly go see this movie. .

Oh no, that souns too intense for me. I think I'll do some knitting instead.

kimahri

CF Legend
Ben said:
jjjjustin12 said:
If you can handle blood,breaking fingers, things that pop out, and a (spoiler)*cat being killed you can handle this movie!Defiantly go see this movie. .

Oh no, that souns too intense for me. I think I'll do some knitting instead.

382.jpg

I love myfacewhen.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian, I watched that on the flight over to Spain with us for the Port Aventura Live (I'd dropped it onto my PSP).

It's an odd, but enjoyable bit of "docudrama". You're right though with the bitterness and pettiness, it's just utterly unbelievable.

Well, I've been doing some catchup with Minor_Furie over the weekend.

Interview with a Vampire first. Not seen this since the cinema (8:00 p.m. showing, Stafford Apollo). It's pretty much as I remembered... Quite forgettable. It's amazing that you can have so much "acting talent" in one film and it be really flat. It's also about vampires, but it's neither violent or sexy (which again is amazing considering it has Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in it). It's just a clip-clopping film that never really gets anywhere. There was a reason I'd not watched it again 7/10.

Next. There's something about Mary. We'll get the astonishment of "you've never seen it?" out of the way first. No, I haven't because the other Farrelly brothers films I found tedious, obvious and not really funny. So anything that claimed to be "another great" from them put me off.

However, it was on TV so I recorded it and watched it with Minor_Furie. I did try to watch it with an open mind and be positive. I also loaded myself with wine to help make it funnier :)

It's okay, and has a few good "belly laugh" moments. It's not awful, but it's not fantastic either. It's still all a bit too obvious, but it was better than I expected. 6/10.

Then onto "Top 250" The Departed. I'd not heard of this, and it's an interesting concept. Two guys go deep under cover. One working for the local mafia boss (Jack Nicholson) and the other for the cops. So they're both working against each other, one in the police department, the other in the mafia. there's a huge amount of talent involved in the film, and it shows. Some brilliant performances, and the direction is very clean and crisp. It's just a very neatly made film with lots of superb moments. It all gathers speed right at the end with a massively fast paced ending that comes at you like a freight train. It's tough to keep up with it. Definitely glad I watched it, best part of three hours well spent - 9/10

Finished off the evening with The Wall, which was depressingly pleasant to watch as always :) I love the music, and it's just a long, music video (as harsh as it is). Fab as it always is - 9/10.

nadroJ

CF Legend
So I'm really ill so have decided to spend the day eating Subway, drinking Lucozade and watching films on my 'to watch' list.

The first film watched was Mulholland Drive. I think I have to watch it again. And again. And again.

I could so easily just google what the hell the film is about, but where's the fun in that? Despite not really grasping the plot altogether I really enjoyed my first viewing. I've been meaning to get more into David Lynch films for a while now, they're such an intricate watch, you can't afford to miss a single thing. Lynch provides such detailed characters, mise-en-scene and storyline that there's, if anything, too much to drink in, which is good, makes you not only want to watch his films again but actually need to to get your head around them. Also, Rita is damn fine. I won't rate it until I feel I get what's going on enough to give it a justifiable score.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie - The Departed is an awesome film!

Jordan - I watched Mulholland Drive the other week and I agree, it's brilliant! It's the way it turned on it's head without warning, or being silly or predictable about it.

I did work out what the film was all about as it finished (and just Googled it and yes, I'm right *smug face*) but it's probably because I was slightly stoned and drunk so my head was in "detective mode".

Rita is hot, but the blonde was better.