What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
The Spirit

Being a fan of Frank Miller and his other works, and just seeing the trailers for this movie, I had been waiting a while.

But.. it just didn't give me that PUNCH I was expecting. Too much story and too little fighting.. something I expect from F.Miller.

It was a good movie, no doubt about it, but lacked what I thought it would deliver.

8/10

Transporter 3

Not even CLOSE to as good as T:2.. which was ****ing incredible.

6.5/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
peep said:
Just watched Oldboy on DVD.

It is one odd film (though not as odd as Happiness of the Katakuris), I suppose it moves along quite nicely but I still don't fully understand some of it. Has anyone else watched it, what did you think?

I suppose my rating will be 3/5 as it was well directed the actors were quite good.
Very different film! Plenty of story going on, particularly vicious at times, but never boring, and features that awesome fight scene in the corridor :).

I saw Coraline 3D earlier. What a beautiful film, the visuals are breathtaking, and there's wonderful imagination and craftsmanship evident throughout. French and Saunders also provide some great voice work :).

However, much as I'm a Neil Gaiman fan, I found the original story a little, well, boring, and the film suffers from the same afflication - it spends too long on the set-up, not enough on the pay-off, and when it comes down to it, not that much happens. It's an odd contradiction when the visuals are so magical.

I'd definitely recommend seeing it in 3D though, just to wallow in the imagery. 7/10.

Also watched Waltz With Bashir, another animation with stunning imagery, but rather more serious subject matter, i.e. the invasion of Lebanon! Very thought provoking, and the soundtrack and sound editing were excellent too.

I don't think the talking-head interview aspect worked though, there wasn't enough expression on the faces to pull that off, and it's a big chunk of the film. A valiant effort at serious animation nonetheless, 7.5/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So I shouldn't take our resident NBC fanboy Maxi-Minor_Furie to see Coraline then? I thought he might have liked it.

Oooh, I've watched some new films.

Be Kind Rewind
No idea what to make of this. Was it a comedy? It was a bit off the wall and was amusing at points, but certainly not obviously a comedy. It's just a little too random and it seems like they've tried to present it as a "clever and "emotive" film to make up for the fact it's just a reason to have Jack Black play up to the camera. The films just jerks from scene to scene without any real flow.

It's not dreadful, it's just a bit of a dogs dinner. 7/10

Son of Rambow
Excellent stuff. Really enjoyed it. It captured that feeling I had of being ten in the early 80's perfectly. The way it was filmed to give you the feeling you were in the kid's shoes was excellent. The story played out really well, and it was fantastically light hearted and had some real laugh out loud moments. Minor_Furie and Madame_Furie also really enjoyed it. Big thumbs up. 4/5

Slayed

Hyper Poster
furie said:
So I shouldn't take our resident NBC fanboy Maxi-Minor_Furie to see Coraline then? I thought he might have liked it.
NBC?

Dunno, I suppose the lack of drama won't bother him that much! The visuals are really engaging. It could be a teeny bit scary though.

Furie said:
Son of Rambow. Excellent stuff.
I loved Son of Rambow, it was really well put together, and on a nothing budget!

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Taken:

In my opinion, Taken is what Die Hard should have been. 1 movie, stronger action and more comfortable characters. The setting seems to be a lot more original, you would never usually find too many action films set in Paris. Liam Neeson does a better job than Willis as the action hero, purely because he's not as typical as Bruce Willis usually is.
The setting, obviously because it's France it make a fantastic background and I think because it's not as long and droned as most action films, its shorter and more entertaining.

8.1/10

American History X:

I knew before I watched this film that it was highly rated among critics. Most films that touch along the lines of racism, stereotyping and bullying always win the hearts of the audience, and that kind of made me want to dislike this film. The first 10 minutes in and I was beginning to critiscise the film but as it progressed and you begin to learn about Edward Norton's fascinating character, and it all changes from there. The storyline is a lot more powerful and gritty than most films of this genre. The characters grow with you, and you learn more and more about them as the storyline unravels. Most film's I watch get more boring as time goes on, but with American History X I think that you want the film to keep going, it draws me in.
There are minor scenes that I tend to dismiss but all in all, a really fantastic film.

8.7/10

Little Criminals:

I had never heard of this film, so there was no hype or build up. The cast has nobody recognisable and the film is pretty much low budget. The film centres around a mentally disturbed pre-teen with a very poor childhood, no ambition or no influence. Again I thought the storyline was well thought of and I was possibly expecting a 'Stand by me' rip-off. The friendship of two characters though, did seem to be very similar to Stand by me, but it shined a different light on 2 kid's childhoods. I thought this was done pretty well. Some of the film went a little over the top, but the majority of it I thought was well done, acting was amazing considering the age of the people cast in it. I would definately watch this film again, it wasn't perfect but very good.. perhaps a little influenced by Oliver Twist & Stand by Me.

7.3/10

Valkyrie:

This came out in cinema's not so long ago, and I didn't really know what it was about.. so began to dismiss it. Basically for those who don't know, Tom cruise play's a Nazi who hatches an inside plot with many high ranking officers of the Nazi federation to assasinate Hitler. This is another film, that 10 minutes in and I didn't really get any interest from it. I've never really had an interest in war films, and didn't want to start now. Come 20 mins in and I was hooked, I thought Cruise did a fantastic job (especially as a Nazi). I saw suprised how many British name's were in the film too! I thought it was quite the gripping sort of film, at first it's more about dialogue but obviously the action begins to weave in and out of the film about 20 mins in and onwards.
Another fantastic job by cruise.

8.6/10

Hannibal Rising:

Hannibal can only really be described as a masterpiece character. Antony Hopkins formed such a phenomenon, and in my eyes I can only see Antony Hopkins as Hannibal. Nobody else. Thats the only thing that kind of kills this film's rating, aside from a few unrealistic scenes in which the younger Hannibal magically fight's his way out of. I think the setting has been taken too far back for it to feel like a Hannibal film. It's set during and after World War 2, so it really doesn't feel as though it should. The film itself is good if you are looking for some action thriller type entertainment I just don't think it's cut out to be part of the Hannibal franchise.

6/10

peep

CF Legend
Son of Rambow is an excellent film, a must see for everyone imo.

Taken is excellent, it doesn't have the same feel as a normal action flick, it feels so much more intense and gritty, great stuff.

Just watched The Counterfeiters.

It's one of those films which has been executed in such a powerful way. There isn't a lot of dialogue which just makes some of the scenes more immense and realistic. For peeps who are unaware of this German film, it is based on a true story during WWII. Basically in a concentration camp a bunch of Jews were forced to counterfeit foreign money for the Nazis so they became rich. The film mainly focuses on one guy who is excellent at this and is all about his and the other Jew's survival during this time. It was well directed and the lead actor was absolutely amazing, he didn't have to say much because his facial expressions said so much more than any words could.

Rating: 4.5/5

Unfortunately I then watched The Avengers.

The line up is amazing, Uma Thurman and Ralph Fiennes, Jim Broadbent as their boss, Sean Connery as the villain and Eddie Izzard as his henchman. So why the hell was it so bad? Everything was just abysmal, what were they thinking when they made this film? The whole plot is just ridiculous and you can tell that the actors in it couldn't give a damn about it. One example of where it could have been improved would've been giving Eddie Izzard some actual dialogue, he says two words "Oh ****" so basically he comes across as the worst henchman ever as we have to guess who he is, no explanation.

Rating: 1/5

Btw Slayed, NBC = Nightmare Before Christmas

kimahri

CF Legend
Slayed said:
It could be a teeny bit scary though.

coraline-buttons-trailer.jpg

A Teeny bit scary?!

:C

Lain

Giga Poster
I saw I Love You, Man the other day.

It's pretty good for what it is, but it's not going to set the world alight. Also, it had a healthy dose of Rush, something which I was unaware of before going to see the film, and so I was very pleasantly surprised.

If I had to put a rating on it, I'd probably go for a 7/10.

Also,

Slayed said:

Nightmare Before Christmas, you silly. :p

Hannibal can only really be described as a masterpiece character. Antony Hopkins formed such a phenomenon, and in my eyes I can only see Antony Hopkins as Hannibal. Nobody else. Thats the only thing that kind of kills this film's rating, aside from a few unrealistic scenes in which the younger Hannibal magically fight's his way out of.

Gaspard is hot though, that's something that really kept me interested in the film :p .

I agree with you though, it's a good movie even on its own, but I still have a hard time classifying it as a true Hannibal film.

I thought he was talking about the news channel.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Gangs of New York:

I think this was the most suprising film of the bunch I've watched this past week. I was skeptical for what to expect due to an adequate rating on imdb.com. The setting is absolutely brilliant, 1800's New York, where Daniel Day Lewis reigns supreme as one of the best villains I've seen in a film. Amazing character. The set must of took some effort to make, its sincerely convincing as 1800 NYC, costumes fantastic and it's got some mild and graphic action included .
DiCaprio and Diaz do a pretty good job in their protagonistic roles, and it's nice to see a majority of british actors star in such a classic (such as the great Jim Broadbent).

8.8/10

The Da Vinci Code

I had to give this another go because I'd never really understood it the first time over (due to Angels & Demons out later this month, it was also a meer excuse ).
I will be as short as I can with this review because my fingers are sore. I thought the storyline is fascinating and seriously brilliant, it COULD have been executed a little more better, the action was quite dry at some points. Ian Mckellen was a formidable old character who was very amusing to watch and kept the film entertaining. I think Hanks did a particularly good job as Robert Langdon, although his hair was pretty damn WOOPS haha. I cannot say whether the book was as good as the film as I honestly have no clue, and although this film won't make my top 20, it surely was enjoyable.

8.1/10

Australia

Caught up on a good opportunity of watching this on blu-ray . The picture was as perfect as they come, I think although the storyline was quite petty, Kidman and Jackman picked up the pieces. The film (it seems) intended to be lighthearted however there was some random scenes of violence in some places, which I think stained the genre of what could have been a lovely family film. There are some bits in which I find very amusing due to Kidman's stereotypical post-war upperclass English character. Then some other bits I kind of expected to happen, quite predictable towards the end. Don't get me wrong, I do think the film is enjoyable as much as I slated it, but it just isn't the sort of film I would typically go out of my way and watch.

6.7/10

Se7en

This film is rated pretty damn high on many critic's lists. On mine however I was pretty dissapointed. Morgan Freeman is a cinema legend, and Brad Pitt seems to be getting worse everytime I watch him. I think it takes too long for the action to start kicking in, its all just mindless dialogue and boring discussion until about 20 mins inwards. I think Kevin Spacey kind of pulled the film out of the water as some freaky Hannibal-esque character, and as soon as he came into the limelight more, the film became really entertaining.

A good watch for those who like a good old crime film, maybe to those who like CSI type genre's.

6.9/10

^ Twenty minutes into the film is nothing man, like, I've known movies to not really even start until sometimes 40 minutes in. Heck, look at even the Green Mile, that is almost ALL character development for the entire thing, minus a few parts.

I liked Se7en, personally.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Yes, but after 20 minutes into the film I have expectations although I do always see the film through to the end. :lol:

Jools

Giga Poster
I have to recomend Fast & Furious 4, even If you havn't seen the others, it's still good, and Wolverine is cool too, can't really give a review just some star ratings and say they ae worth a watch.

Fast & Furious 4: 4.5/5
Wolverine: 5/5

mrclam

Giga Poster
Jools said:
I have to recomend Fast & Furious 4, even If you havn't seen the others, it's still good, and Wolverine is cool too, can't really give a review just some star ratings and say they ae worth a watch.

Fast & Furious 4: 4.5/5
Wolverine: 5/5

And with that, i now know instantly to ignore any movie recomendations from you! :lol:

peep

CF Legend
Watched How the West was won.

Wow, it was EPIC. The strangest thing I found is that it looked really hi def considering it was on DVD. The film was also separated on to two discs which for a 2 hour 30 mins film is quite unusual, maybe thats how they made it look hi quality?

Anyways, I loved some shots, so amazingly epic. There were some awesome scenes too, especially the one with the buffalo and the action scene on the moving train, superb pieces of cinema.

Rating: 4/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Topics Unstuck
As part of an attempt to make the forums a little more diverse and interesting, we've unstuck the "collective" topics.

Feel free to keep using them, but also feel free to post individual topics if you think they will be of particular interest to other users.

For instance, a big film like Star Trek probably deserves its own topic, rather being lumped with the Films topic.

It's just a case of using a bit of common sense, and making the topics interesting.

The big topics are still around for the trivialities, but we'd like people to make more use of their brains and personalities (big mistake, I know :p ).

Ollie

CF Legend
Aww. I liked the topics stickied at the top. They were easy to find and the most used topics as well.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I dunno about the de-sticky furie... At first notice the forum looked kinda cluttered...

Anyways I saw Wolverine today, was quite good, defo better than the Last Stand, I did love the opening credits, and generally the film was enjoyable with some good action scenes...

Although I just kept laughing at Hugh Jackman due to his previous television works for a portion of the film...

I thought it linked well with the existing trilogy, although the other possible problem (as Kara pointed out) would be Sabretooth... As does he not get killed by Storm in the trilogy? Yet can only be killed in a certain way in Origins?
Plus he doesn't recognise Logan from what I can remember, may have to watch the first one again and remind myself, cos I seem to remember that Sabretooth doing relatively nothing...

Either way, a solid 8/10