What's new

Notable Deaths 2022

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Mr Pedant here.
Lovely lady as she was, she was a notable 2021 death.

Technically, yes but also no. White would have died in 2021 in the US. However, @CoasterWild is in Australia, and hence the news would have broke in 2022 for them. So a notable 2021 death for most of us, but a 2022 death for them.

Time zones are odd sometimes...

rob666

Hyper Poster
Technically, yes but also no. White would have died in 2021 in the US. However, @CoasterWild is in Australia, and hence the news would have broke in 2022 for them. So a notable 2021 death for most of us, but a 2022 death for them.

Time zones are odd sometimes...
Sorry mate, but she died in 2021, whatever time it was in Australia at that moment.
What matters is when the individual dies, not when that death gets reported on another continent.
Edit...And when you read the actual article...it does actually state that she died on new years eve.
My case rests m'lord.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Sorry mate, but she died in 2021, whatever time it was in Australia at that moment.
What matters is when the individual dies, not when that death gets reported on another continent.
Edit...And when you read the actual article...it does actually state that she died on new years eve.
My case rests m'lord.

Judgment:

Judge Nitefly thinks your case sucks 🤪

… well, that’s a bit strong, but I’m remarking that nobody has suggested that the time of death changes depending on when a case is reported.

Edit: Although, @Thekingin64 has for some reason curiously and actually suggested that the reporting affects when a death may be generally stated to belong - which is a post that this court could not fathom being made. Ultimately, the court must offer its apologies to @rob666 for it’s poor comprehension of reading.

There can only be one moment in time when a person dies, as you say, but in truth this can be recorded in different ways in relation to the appropriate time zone. For example, a death after 5:00am on 31st December Los Angelas time would occur after 00:00 on 1 January Sydney time.

So, depending on the time of death (if post- 5am LA time), one could legitimately “say she died in 2022 in Australian time”.

BUT for the purposes of typical discussion, it would be totally obtuse to say a death occurred in any other year than the present year for the time zone in which the death actually occurred. Therefore all sensible colloquial conversation would refer to her death as occurring in 2021.

[2022] CF Forums 1

More troubling however, is deciding when “stimulating conversation” died. With reference to this very post, I suggest 2 January 2022 (10:26 GMT) at the very latest 🤔

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Judgment:

Judge Nitefly thinks your case sucks 🤪

… well, that’s a bit strong, but I’m remarking that nobody has suggested that the time of death changes depending on when a case is reported.

Edit: Although, @Thekingin64 has for some reason curiously and actually suggested that the reporting affects when a death may be generally stated to belong - which is a post that this court could not fathom being made. Ultimately, the court must offer its apologies to @rob666 for it’s poor comprehension of reading.

There can only be one moment in time when a person dies, as you say, but in truth this can be recorded in different ways in relation to the appropriate time zone. For example, a death after 5:00am on 31st December Los Angelas time would occur after 00:00 on 1 January Sydney time.

So, depending on the time of death (if post- 5am LA time), one could legitimately “say she died in 2022 in Australian time”.

BUT for the purposes of typical discussion, it would be totally obtuse to say a death occurred in any other year than the present year for the time zone in which the death actually occurred. Therefore all sensible colloquial conversation would refer to her death as occurring in 2021.

[2022] CF Forums 1

More troubling however, is deciding when “stimulating conversation” died. With reference to this very post, I suggest 2 January 2022 (10:26 GMT) at the very latest 🤔
Oh, so I guess we're just completely ignoring Special Relativity then... :rolleyes:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Oh, so I guess we're just completely ignoring Special Relativity then... :rolleyes:
Don't come to me with your lukewarm arguments regarding a Lorentz transformation, the nice deceased old lady in question had no recorded history of space travel, as far as I am aware.