What's new

Nicky's America Trip 20th June - 2nd July

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Just got back from this and in a weird jet lagged state but I need to stay up so thought I would do this.

The whole schedule was:

20th June - Fly from Heathrow to Boston Logan Airport
20-24th June - Stay in Boston
24th June - Catch train to New York
24th-29th June - Stay in New York
29th June - Catch train to Washington DC
29th June - 1st July - Stay in DC
1st July- Fly home but don't land till the next day due to it being a night flight.

I somehow took 700 photos which are being uploaded to my laptop at the moment, so there will be more to come later.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
The only sad thing was the closest I got to a theme park was a Six Flags New England leaflet and getting on a subway train that terminated at Coney Island. :(

Nicky

Hyper Poster
I had a really great time!

Want to go back so much now.

Maybe Ohio next time and visit parks.

Rush

Giga Poster
WOW! That's almost the exact holiday I'm going on in 3 weeks! (with Williamsburg added)

Can't wait to see your pics and all as well as what you thought of everything. Glad you had a fun time there!

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Boston
Day 1:

After a not so bad flight from London to Boston with Virgin and a short taxi ride we ended up at our home for the next four nights. The Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen were the better ones to eat at.

America258.jpg

This was a photo before we made so much mess with our stuff.

America001.jpg

It was kinda grey and overcast in Boston for the whole four days. Luckily we didn't have to wander far to get food. This place was only a few streets away and we ate here practically every night.

America071-1.jpg

Due to jet lag we didn't really do very much that day other than sample the delights of American TV. The first of many times we watched TV when we were shattered.

Day 2

After dragging ourselves out of bed and having breakfast we got on the T (Boston's subway system) into the centre of the city. We tried to go to the State House but discovered that it didn't open on a Sunday. So we just took photos outside in the rain.

America005.jpg

And instead went to visit the Old State House.

America043.jpg

Where you could do wonderful things like:
America034.jpg

Which I know everyone will be jealous of the fact that I actually got to smell some dirt from that long ago.
The Old State House had this really cool spiral staircase that ran through the middle of it.
America022-1.jpg

We went in search of food and discovered a place where they served us this kinda cake. We weren't exactly sure what it was. Possibly loaf cake? Whatever it was they gave us butter with it which just confused us even further.
America045.jpg

It was back on the T to Park Street which is the centre of the universe for Boston. It is the closest station to the State House where the centre of Boston is classed. All trains are marked as either inbound (heading to Park Street) or outbound (heading away from Park Street). It was a kinda weird station with loads of platforms but had its quirky way.
America050.jpg

We bought a CityPass so we ended up making some full use of it by going to the Museum of Science. It was a really big building that was pretty busy.
I am pretty glad that computers have come on from these:
America068.jpg

After a rather "interesting" talk about fireflies that we ended up watching it was back off to the Mall for dinner before crashing back at the hotel.

The Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen were the better ones to eat at.

Ohhh I love the Cheesecake Factory! I went to the one in Chicago and it had pretty much the best burger I have ever had. Sadly, I didn't eat the cheesecake though, haha.

Overall Boston does look like an interesting city, but it's not somewhere I'd really choose to go if I were doing a trip. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself though!

Nicky

Hyper Poster
I've always wanted to visit Boston for some reason and Virgin fly there and it made sense to go and travel down the coast from there to NYC and Washington.

I had a portobello mushroom burger thing but the cheesecake was so nice.

^ Aw now I regret not trying it haha, they had so many flavours though, would've taken me like hours to choose haha.

I think I had a spicy buffalo burger <3

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Thanks Snoo. It appeared on our table and we were a bit confused about it. Glad to know what it was now.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Sorry it has taken a while to get to the next bit.

Day 3

Yet again it was all overcast and we made our second attempt at going to the State House.

America074.jpg

It was open this time so we got on a little guided tour of the place. Really cool place if you like loads of marble and it looking a bit like a palace.

What the British used to think Americans looked like:
America077.jpg

A bit of a reference to a certain fictional President from West Wing
America088.jpg

This is the Sacred Cod in the House of Representatives. It was stolen once so instead of passing any new laws, the Representatives decided to spend the three days discussing how they would punish the person who had stolen it. In the end it was revealed that it was stolen by some Harvard students.
America089.jpg

Not to be outdone, the Senate has its own fish.
America100.jpg

The Holy Mackeral!

After the State House we went over to one of the places that Boston is most famous for.

FENWAY PARK!!
America107.jpg

We paid for a tour from this gentleman who knew rather a lot about the Red Sox and had a specific hatred of another baseball team just down the coast.
America112.jpg

He didn't use his microphone for most of the tour.

We got to in the press box which has the best view.
America117.jpg

And also the Green Monster seats which are drawn from a lottery.
America128.jpg

America115.jpg

After spending money at the Red Sox shop...
America106.jpg

We visited the next stop that was on our city pass which was the New England Aquarium which had penguins:
America141.jpg

Stingrays:
America151-1.jpg

And Sharks!
America157.jpg

After the aquarium it was back to the mall and Cheesecake Factory!!

Day 4:

Last full day in Boston. The first stop was:
America199.jpg

This is like my idea of heaven and while I was there feasting on ice cream I bought a t-shirt which I am wearing at the moment. We even had the founders sat in the window.
America200.jpg

It yet again wasn't great ice cream weather but it was our last chance to go there.

Our next stop was Harvard. My friend really loves it so I said we would go over there.
We were cheapskates and went for the unofficial tour where you only had to tip.
These two were our guides.
America224.jpg

For once it wasn't raining so bad. We didn't tip too much before we went to the Harvard Natural History Museum which was just creepy. Loads of dead animals and skeletons.

We were glad that the sky finally cleared up enough that we could go up to the Prudential SkyWalk.
America257.jpg

It offered really good views of Boston and you got an audio guide to what was in front of you.
Unfortunately the glass wasn't too clean so the photos I got weren't so good.

We trooped back to the hotel to try and back well enough so that our clothes weren't completely creased.

Day 4 coming soon. A long train journey and NYC!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hurray, more updates!

I am reading these, even if I don't make inane comments like "looks like you had a great time" after every post - I am finding it interesting :)

Looking forward to seeing what you saw of NYC!

peep

CF Legend
Nice trip report. My sister really wants to go to Boston, she doesn't tell us why, now I've realised that it must be because Harvard is there :p

That Ben and Jerrys place also looks like my idea of heaven :D Jealous of the t-shirt.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Day 4 was the train journey from Boston to New York via Amtrak.

Seriously you Americans do not know how great your train service is. Affordable, comfortable, spacious and clean, it is a million miles from some of our train services.

We started at:
America259.jpg

And due to my horrendous photography skills you can't tell where. It is meant to be Back Bay station.

We dragged our suitcases onto the train and found some seats. It wasn't busy so we got four seats to ourselves.

All the journey seemed to involve was this sign:
America269.jpg

Connecticut took forever to get through but the houses were kinda cute from the railway:
America264.jpg

It became more and more built up and we finally reach NYC. The change between Boston and NYC was huge. Rather scary when you have just turned up and don't really have any idea where you are going and where your hotel is.

No photo of the hotel this time but it was good old Holiday Inn Express again. We had a quite interesting view out of the window, unfortunately forgot to pack the swimming costumes.
America272.jpg

The room felt pretty small but Rebecca assured me that it was big for New York. It wasn't long before the room went from:
America274.jpg

To:
America454.jpg

Surprising how much mess you can make really quickly when you aren't even trying.

We were still knocked out from the time difference so it was a meal in the restaurant at the hotel and then an early night.

Next: Day 5 and discovering the Statue of Liberty doesn't seem that big.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Day 5:

It was an earlyish start to get from our hotel on 57th Street right down to Battery Park.

Onto the subway once we finally found an entrance and then walked for ages to get to the station. We spent most of our time on this line:
America406.jpg

Cue numerous hummings of the song Downtown. Coming back wasn't much better with Uptown Girl.

Eventually we reached the bottom end of Manhattan and we could finally see what we aiming for.
America276.jpg

We had already prebooked our tickets for both the ferry and with the monument pass so we could go up into the pedestal of the statue. So we caught our rather busy ferry.
America281.jpg

Our ferry went from Battery Park to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Everyone sat down and then as we started moving off everyone got to their feet so it was hard to take photos without someone's head appearing in them inconsiderately. Though I did managed to get a good picture of the end of Manhattan.
America292.jpg

We soon got to the island and we saw what we had come to see. I don't know why it just seemed smaller than you would imagine.
America300.jpg

And this was our first run in with the awful tent. We had to queue for at least an hour in both the sun and then a really warm tent while everyone passed through security to get in.
America357.jpg

After having random puffs of air fired at us for some reason and passing through security scanners we finally got in. For once we actually bought the audio guide which was very useful and made us actually look at things properly rather than just walking through the museum.
America311.jpg

But it did cause awkward moments when you just seemed to turn into a statue, or when one of you was ahead of the other.

First stop was the old flame which they replaced after it was starting to leak.
America306.jpg

Next up was a casting of Liberty's face which in my opinion looks rather ugly/odd but then I guess not many people were meant to see this up close.
America313.jpg

Supposed inspiration for the statue, the Lighthouse of Alexandria:
America318.jpg

Model for the face? Nothing like imitating your mother.
America325.jpg

Anyone fancy an ear:
America328.jpg

Now my friend promised that she didn't wear this t-shirt on purpose but I don't trust her really. Too much of a coincidence:
America352.jpg

Finally we made it outside and it was a chance to take an arty shot:
America374.jpg

Now the perils of going on holiday with just two of you. Unless you take a myspace style photo you can only really have one of you in a photo unless you get a randomer to take it of you.

Randomer attempt 1:
America376.jpg

Second time lucky she actually got both of us in shot:
America377.jpg

I have to admit it was really sunny so you couldn't see the display screen of the camera. Only downside with some digital cameras.

We could only go so far as the pedestal. Her crown only opened up on July 4th and it was still June when we went.

We got to look up her skirt though:
America355.jpg

Our next stop was Ellis Island. Unfortunately I had pretty much killed my camera battery at Liberty Island and wanted to save it for the Empire State Building. So after a nice lunch we went back on the ferry to Manhattan and back on the subway.

I found the Empire State Building really freaky. I am not too good with heights and it just felt like it was constantly swaying which could have just been my imagination.
The usual "I'm a tourist" photo.
America390.jpg

It wasn't such a bad day to go up and we weren't sure what the weather was going to be like over the next few days so decided it was best to just go up straight away.

The highlight of the day though was:
America399.jpg

I have never laughed so much. I loved it and haven't been able to get the soundtrack out of my head ever since!

This was also the day of:
America398.jpg

Our waitress told us and we didn't actually believe her until we were in Times Square and it was on the electric billboard. It was so weird as America just went mad. There was so much of his music on for the rest of the holiday. Everywhere you turned, even at breakfast.

That has been a rather long post so I'll leave the next day which was just shopping for another time.