What's new

New look Jubilee Odyssey train

Martyn B

CF Legend
So the train for JO recently reappeared, and IMO it looks pretty neat. Very Smiler-esque if you ask me.

Apperantly the improvements made are supposed to improve reliability and ride experience. I cant say much, as it hasn't opened yet ;)

BBH

Giga Poster
I've yet to ride an SLC but this looks like one of the most intense, certainly more than Infusion and Kumali. Hopefully the new trains fix the rideability issues some have reported.

Posted while reading your mind.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Martyn B said:
Apperantly the improvements made are supposed to improve reliability and ride experience.
I didn't know that B&M worked on Vekomas? ;)

T0M

Hyper Poster
Do we think it's the old train tarted up or a new/refurbished one?

-Sent from a mobile phone-

wakey1512

Roller Poster
Is it a new train completely or just a repaint/new panels? (edit: Tom G beat me to it)

The coaster was in dire need of a new train it definitely seemed to rattle and move about a lot. It wasn't pleasant getting shunted from the car behind because the couplings were excessively worn out. However the track isn't great either the rust on the rail joints will make even a new train feel bumpy.

I did like the colour scheme of the previous trains and admittedly the yellow does oddly match. However if they want a matching colour maybe pink would be a better idea from how the track is fading?

It's a nice colour and definitely gives the ride more brightness for sure.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
If this is still pretty rough with the new train (rode it last Saturday), I dread to think what it was like with the old ones...

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
If this is still pretty rough with the new train (rode it last Saturday), I dread to think what it was like with the old ones...
Has it re-opened? If so, I might have to arrange another trip down. I still need the cred.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Its never been an actual rough coaster for me, just rattley. The side winder has always been killer though.

wakey1512

Roller Poster
It isn't back-seat furious baco rough thats for sure but yes I agree it rattles a lot. It just seems to clunk its way around the track. It just sounds like everything on the train is worn out, so it would be nice to ride with a new train for comparison?

(That's if its a new train, which I'm still none the wiser..)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Finally got to ride it on Monday! The train looks pretty nice, but the ride experience is still the same, it was running pretty fast, so I guess it was worth it...

Apparently they may be retracking the worst parts...

It is the old train, but it has been totally stripped, checked for wear and rebuilt by Vekoma engineers, Vekoma QC’s and our maintenance team. Many parts that had only another season of wear left in them have been renewed. The train has also had a full NDT inspection and also 100% X- Ray inspection of the main weld in the centre of the ‘J’ tubes. The main chassis, ‘J’ tubes, ARB’s, chain dogs, wheel carriers etc have been shot blasted and repainted by a company in the UK. The seat units were sent back to Vekoma who completely stripped and refurbished the restraint system, shot blasted and painted the seats, replaced the headrests, seat cushions and arm rests for new and also stripped the old foam off the restraints and recovered with new foam. The wheel canopies are brand new, the chassis canopies are the old ones but repainted and all the seat backs are brand new. The plan is to repaint the track in the coming closed season and depending on cost look into improving the ride experience by smoothing out some of the rougher areas of the track

spicy

Giga Poster
It is the old train, but it has been totally stripped, checked for wear and rebuilt by Vekoma engineers, Vekoma QC’s and our maintenance team. Many parts that had only another season of wear left in them have been renewed. The train has also had a full NDT inspection and also 100% X- Ray inspection of the main weld in the centre of the ‘J’ tubes. The main chassis, ‘J’ tubes, ARB’s, chain dogs, wheel carriers etc have been shot blasted and repainted by a company in the UK. The seat units were sent back to Vekoma who completely stripped and refurbished the restraint system, shot blasted and painted the seats, replaced the headrests, seat cushions and arm rests for new and also stripped the old foam off the restraints and recovered with new foam. The wheel canopies are brand new, the chassis canopies are the old ones but repainted and all the seat backs are brand new.

Like buying a new head and handle for a broom.

You would think it would just be easier and potentially cheaper to just buy a new train...

Still glad to hear its running well planning to get down there some point next month.

Casio

Mega Poster
I got on it for the first time today, so obviously I can't compare to how it was before, but it starts very well; a little rattle but no pain, but as soon as you leave the cobra roll it gets very painful. The trains themselves look very smart and the padding is as soft as it could be, I think they improve the experience as much as is possible

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
I'm in the area. If anyone's heading down there in the next few weeks and want to meet up. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk