What's new

New Kiddie Area For Liseberg In 2013

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
So apparently their 90 anniversary attraction is a kiddie land called 'Kaninlandet' (translates to Rabbitland)

I will say that i was hoping for a new big coaster :cry:

Among others there is going to be a monorail and a kiddie coaster.
Here's some pictures the park released on their FB page.

600252_478910898805148_1998080013_n.jpg

396908_478911018805136_480363165_n.jpg

283757_478911182138453_621248616_n.jpg

This looks really nice.

I love how park's are now being creative about adding new areas (wether that's to do with a thrill or kiddie area) and the fact they're going for original based stories instead of these massive corporate areas (Nick Land & Thomas Land).

^ I'm kinda surprised actually, they have mostly invested in kiddie rides these last couple of years.

And apparently they have invested 23 million euro in this.... Their biggest investment ever.

I really like this idea, the Kiddy section have been in a dire need of an overhaul in the past year, and with this then it will be more likely that they are going to spend more on thrilling rides in the future, since now the children will be well catered for. I hope that this will be the last of the "old ride replacement" strategy they have been working on for the past years (especially since the failure of Rainbow). So now we can finally look forward.

Yes a new large coaster would have been awesome, but there is no real place for it at the moment.
There is still questions about how the work of the train tunnel under the city will go, if it will force the park to shut down the main entrance or not etc.
And since SAAB is no more there are negotiations if Liseberg may be allowed to buy the old SAAB factories south of the park to gain even more expansion area than just the southern parking lot. So there is still loads of issues that have to be cleared out before they can go and start to plan large coasters again.

On the other hand I would love to think that in 2014 there will be some kind of more thrilling ride, the last ride that I think might be on the chopping block for old rides is the Schwarzkopf Waltzers, but seeing that there is now loads of space on the top of the mountain especially when they finally remove the old ferris wheel, then there is a prime location for new ride/coaster.

^It's great with somebody that got a little more info on this! :) I was just wondering what happend with the expansion plans. Do you know how big the old SAAB facilities are? (I tried to google it but couldn't find any info) And do you know whether Liseberg will remove one or both of the old S&S towers now as well now that they got a new better tower ride? I guess they could squeeze in something interesting on the hill with both the old ferris wheel and S&S towers gone :)

Both s&s towers are going to stay, and so is the old ferris wheel, for now.
I don't think Liseberg want's to put in a new coaster on top of the mountain, it would ruin the look of the area.

Here you have a map of the new land.
Yellow is a parking lot, allready owned by Liseberg, and the Blue is the possible new land.
Plenty of room if reality!
lise.jpg

^ So you found that old image, here is a more detailed one:

liseberg.jpg

Green = Park
Yellow = Parking area (owned by Liseberg)
Blue = Liseberg maintenance/storage/offices, etc.
Red = Old SAAB gearbox factory, buildings are owned by Platzer, and it's the area in which Liseberg is trying to acquire
Purple = Small printing works, most likely will be persuaded to move if Liseberg is allowed to buy the surrounding buildings

The whole section south of Balder (SAAB + Maintenance + Printing works) is about 120x420 meters so it's a massive expansion to the park, if the deal goes through (most likely since it's the city that is taking car of the deal and the park is owned by the city as well :) ).

Information from their swedish version of the official website;

New attractions; New Farfars Bil (granpa's cars), Bike monorail, Mini-freefall ride, Ferris wheel, Mini rollercoaster, plane carousel and balloon carousel (?).

Moved attractions; Cykelturen, Knatterally (mini bumper cars) and the Pony carousel

Removed attractions; Old Farfars bil, Små Grodorna (miniature "freefall" attraction), the Plane Carousel and Trummeliten (spinning ride)

In connection to the area there will apparently be a picnic area and a new family resturant with three divisions; one with Burger King, one with a mini-pancakes resturant and one with a sandwhich resturant. The old "Lisebergskaninens hus" will be revamped into a "special" playground where children can play with the rabbits.

It seems like a great transformation of the childrens' area which has remained almost the same since my first visits in the late 90's, eventhough it is hardly the area I personally will be spending time in.

^ The Ferris Wheel seems strange, I haven't seen anything that looks like one in the images, but then again it might be one of those really small ones, so it's not really noticeable in the images.

Along with this whole kiddy land transformation they have launched a new "Rabbit Family" that will live in it.
And judging by the info of them then it's a really "modern" family...

Mrs Lisen: The mother that loves to take naps on the couch unless there is a party somewhere, then she will dance the night away and be the last to leave.

Mr Berg: The father who is a scatterbrained guy that loves to bake and tell Limerick's.

Kanina: Daughter who is a environmentally-aware adventurer.

Kanne: Son that loves to sparkles, play and dress up, transforms into a Fairy-Queen on midsummers day.

Jenny Hjälm: Sister to Lisen, she is a wheelchair bound carpenter.

Julius Berg: Mr Bergs Brother is a friend with Santa Claus with white fur, he comes and visits during the Christmas Season.

Tråk Måns: A real party pooper that hates everything the other rabbits love, tries to stop every idea with laws and paragraphs, loves smoke, oil, petrol and collecting money.

My personal view is that this collection of character would appeal to all the environmental feminist mothers, whose favourite word is "hen" (a new Swedish word that some people think that we need, it's an asexual word for a person), that are everywhere today. Sure it's nice that they are trying to break the boundary's of old stereotypes on family-life, but it seems way over the top for me...

bergochdalbana said:
Kanne: Son that loves to sparkles, play and dress up, transforms into a Fairy-Queen on midsummers day.

They're signing up earlier and earlier these days...

^ I know, right? The last Pride parade I went to looked like a **** ing episode of Toddlers and Tiaras.

For everyone that want some more thrilling attraction then there is some good news coming:

During a "Behind the Scene" tour I got as a birthday present the guide (The Electricians Supervisor) told us, while in the Lisebergbanan maintenance hall, that they want to do a complete overhaul of the electrical/braking systems but that had to wait at the moment because of the massive investment for 2013 and that it won't happen in 2014 either because of a new coaster :)
So 2 good news, new coaster for 2014 and an overhaul of Lisebergbanan is scheduled :D

Yes, there will be a short report of this once I got hold of some images from my brother.