What's new

New drop tower, junior coaster at Dollywood for 2017

davidm

Strata Poster
New drop tower, junior coaster at Dollywood for 2017 - presumably going in the space around where the topple tower was ripped out of a few years ago (nr Thunderhead).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Dollywood/status/791282023486853120[/tweet]
Drop Line at Dollywood

New in Summer 2017, Drop Line is a 200-foot tall free-fall experience that towers over Timber Canyon and provides an incredible view of the park before its exhilarating finish. The drop tower ride lifts Dollywood guests nearly 20 stories above the Canyon’s pool, before plummeting them back to the ground in a thrilling rush.
Whistle Punk Chaser at Dollywood

Whistle Punk Chaser, a new junior coaster opening in Summer 2017, throws thrilling twists and turns at Dollywood’s younger loggers, helping prepare them for the day they can join their parents aboard the award-winning Thunderhead wooden coaster.
Link : http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/YOF2017

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Looks great, is there any info on who is manufacturing the coaster and the drop tower?

Plus 1 to Dollywood's coaster collection!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Sounds like a nice addition. The drop tower is obviously going where Topple Tower was, but where would the coaster go? And what type of coaster is it?

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It sounds like a kiddie coaster or a small family coaster, something on the scale of a large Zierer Tivoli, but obviously not a Tivoli...

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
A mack youngstar would be great! As there a proper family coaster not a kiddie Cred! As for the drop tower intamin is the only way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Judging from the promo image it looks like the drop tower is the same model that Nigloland built this year by Ride Entertainment/Funtime.

That's got a great rep so looks like a solid addition for Dollywood.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, the drop tower looks like a Funtime drop tower - and the one at Nigloland is **** terrifying due to how 'open' it is. Great investment.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Great news, especially as I'm going to Dollywood next year! :)

A drop tower is the one significant thing they're missing fro their ride lineup so that's a great addition.

As for the coaster, hopefully it will be a family cred. The park doesn't have an inverted coaster so a Vekoma SFC would be cool, but I suspect it may be more kid-friendly than that based on the description, so maybe something like one of those SBF Visa Compact spinners?

Terrible names for both rides though!

Snoo

The Legend
Yet another reason to go to Dollywood next year. A drop tower in that part of the park will have amazing views. Can't wait.

Gazza

Giga Poster
They already have Sideshow Spin though. I was imagining it might be something smaller than Firechaser, say Rollerskater or Octonauts size.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The article for the coaster talks about 'training up for Thunderhead', so maybe it'll be a GG Family Woodie like Wooden Warrior? I think it'd be a great fit.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I think they'd have made more of the announcement if that's the case. I just took it to mean that it's very close to Thunderhead. My money's on a very inconsequential kiddy coaster.

Lofty

CF Legend
GuyWithAStick said:
The article for the coaster talks about 'training up for Thunderhead', so maybe it'll be a GG Family Woodie like Wooden Warrior? I think it'd be a great fit.

Nah, that'll be used as a scope for a family coaster for the park that younger adults can enjoy as well, but is still a 'headliner' for them.

Ben

CF Legend
Ugh American parks get an RMC one year, another cred the next year.

We get DBGT.

Thank God for Mainland Europe.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
While a family woodie would be amazing, I don't see that happening a year after they put another woodie in. I'm not even sure there's enough room for such a thing in that part of the park. Pretty safe to assume this will be a small, off the shelf kiddie cred as suggested.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Ugh American parks get an RMC one year, another cred the next year.

We get DBGT.

Thank God for Mainland Europe.

Hey, could be worse, y'know...

But thank God for the Oslo-Gothenburg railway.