What's new

New Chance Hyper-Lite Coaster Type

Lofty

CF Legend
It's a nice little coaster. I see that they're meant to be competition from the Intamin Mega-lite, but I really don't think it's going to be as successful (not that Mega-lite's are REALLY popular).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I am perplexed by this ride design. Morgan Hyper coasters were ok (I still much rather prefer their Arrow forefathers), but seemingly lost out to better hyper design from B&M and Intamin's in the early 2000s. The last Morgan Hyper coaster to be built was at Six Flags Mexico in 2004.

This Hyperlite design faces stiff competition from Intamin's Megalite. The Megalite is noted for being quick and agile with great pops of airtime. At least in this preview design, emphasis has been put on helixes and positive g-forces - I believe many would take the Megalite instead. Chance must be sure to refine their product in order to have a fighting chance.

Jer

Strata Poster
It does look like a fun little coaster. I don't think it will be as popular as the mega-lite. But I think it's a good alternative for parks that might not be able to afford one (assuming that this is cheaper)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I will say, I'd love to see these Hyperlite trains offered as a replacement for the old school Arrow/Morgan hyper trains.

Minimal profile <3

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I honestly don't think it will be very good. To many positive g's and very little airtime. Although we'll have to see when a park buys one to make it good or bad.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
The ride looks pretty lame, and I can't see why any park would want to buy one of these. The Megalite's are small and doesn't do anything "exiting", but damn those rides have speed and kick ass airtime.
This just looks like it doesn't do anything "exiting" without the speed and the airtime.

Jer said:
But I think it's a good alternative for parks that might not be able to afford one (assuming that this is cheaper)

I would be extremely surprised if there were to be a noticeable price difference. Maybe in maintenance, as I know that Djurs Sommerland has 2 mechanics working full time with Piraten in the off season.

Snoo

The Legend
This looks massively meh. Come on kids, this is Steel Force divided in half.. and with 1 train capacity? Clearly aimed at smaller parks.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
^This. Compare Piraten to this, Piraten is a million times better.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you can't do that. Since none of these have been built they really shouldn't be definitively compared to anything.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yet this design's closest resembles Intamin Megalites. Of course there will be a comparison, just as how Vekoma SLC and Flying Dutchmen designs were compared with B&M Invert and Flying coasters. Two very different ideologies that look to achieve different thrills, but inevitably compared.

Where Chance has a shot with the Hyperlite is in price point. Kawasemi cost $14.6 million, $15.5 million when you adjust for inflation since 2008 - a lot of money for a little coaster.

Chance would benefit if they could get their pricing closer to $10 million. I think that would be very doable, as their 90s hyper coasters only cost around $15 million in 2013 dollars.

If this coaster model is geared towards smaller parks, it might be accurate to consider not the Intamin Megalite as competition, but smaller steel coaster designs such as spinners and eurofighters.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^I understand comparisons will be made...

My point is that we can't say it definitively. Without having an example of a chance hyper-lite to compare to the mega-lite you just can't say with 100% certainty that the mega-lite is better let alone a million times better.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Although I'm not very impressed with this & an Intamin Mega-Lite is obviously much better, I think we will see some of these in the near future. Not only is it a great alternative to a Mega-Lite (as others have pointed out) & ideal for a smaller park - it's from an American manufacturer.
We all are aware (as are the parks) of Intamin's reliability issues, which is something that in itself would prompt a park to purchase one of these instead of a Mega-Lite. Add to that the likely lower initial price point (Hyde244 is spot on with that assessment), lower maintenance/parts costs & local support - there's no doubt that Hyper-Lites will be built in the USA.
Four Chance/Vekoma suspended family coasters have been purchased in America just because of the license agreement between the companies & if Fun Spot owner John Arie Sr had wanted a steel coaster instead of a woodie, I could easily see him purchasing one of these for the park expansion to go along side Freedom Flyer.
I also agree with Hyde244's statement that this is even a good alternative to spinners & Eurofighters. If they were available at the time, I could even see Canobie Lake Park choosing this over Untamed.

bentcookie

Mega Poster
From the looks of this specific design, the drop looks to be the only decent part of the ride. Maybe the helix too if the train is going into it with enough speed (And it looks like it does).

I personally think it will be very appealing to small/mid-size parks. I could see a coaster like this going in at Kennywood and being a hit; behind Phantom's Revenge obviously.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Wait, Chance still exist?

I assumed they went bust because they're ****.

Yeah, they still make a lot of the classic flat rides. They make their money from that and they also provide maintenance for rides around the world I believe? Don't quote me on the last one, but its something like that...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
...they also provide maintenance for rides around the world...
I'll quote you on that because it's very much the case. Vekoma is just one of the companies that Chance has license agreements with.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Hyde244 said:
Where Chance has a shot with the Hyperlite is in price point. Kawasemi cost $14.6 million, $15.5 million when you adjust for inflation since 2008 - a lot of money for a little coaster.

When Piraten was built in 2008 it was €6,7 million, or $9,1 million, so they are really not as expensive as people think.

I say Chance are pretty screwed when it comes to offer these rides cheaper than Intamin.