What's new

New Alton Land Unveiled

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Having seen it in an "embryonic" state - I can say it looks pretty good really. It's not OMG!!!!! But it's pretty good, yeah :) 2652% better than Ugland. :)

tks

Strata Poster
marc said:
Ollie said:
No. Why would they change it to lap-bars?

Due to the fact it does not need over the head ones, it does nothing at all to need them.

If you want to go slamming your head on the seat in front of you as you brake be my guest!

Why did everyone hate Ugland? I quite liked it when I first went to Alton. The corkscrew was my first major ride, Ugswinger and Bone shaker were cool. The place died a death unfortunately when they shrunk it dramatically and shoe-horned Rita into place.

Perhaps they will rename Rita in a few years. They probably don't want the GP wondering where it's gone.. Although I see they have "new for 2010" on Sonic Spinball.. :roll:

Ollie

CF Legend
^There must of been a reason why they had the shoulder straps in the first place though. Same reason why the did it on Stealth and Ka etc..
I too liked Ug Land back when it had Bone Shaker and all that. It had quite cool themeing and the tree-house with the fountains under was good to go through on a hot day. Also the music was pretty funny as well. :lol:

marc

CF Legend
I had no problem on Xcellator but I know some people say they slam into the lapbar.

The problem with Ug Land was it started off ok and was just left to rot and when Rita was put in it just ruined what was left.

Plus what I really hated was when they had them people dance around the tree. It was so badly done and it did not even last many years.

Novas

Mega Poster
I didn't have a problem with Ug land at the start either, (loved Boneshaker) but the last couple of seasons it wasn't really Ug land for me, it's was a case of lets go on rita and leave. Was nothing else to entertain or amuse me.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I like the idea of the Dark Forest, fits Alton extremely well, much much better than *shudder* Ug Land....

Also, the corkscrew thing in the entrance area, is that some sort of monument of what's left of ol' Corkie or what? Seems like a quirky cool idea =]

Looking at this map makes me realise just how much I love Alton and how great it feels for the park to finally be 'sorted out', with the exception of Rita (the name not the ride itself) and Air (again, theme/name not the ride) the place has finally become consistent with it's theme. Looking forward to see ing it prosper in years to come.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
For all those who keeping saying Rita should get lapbars: it simply can't. Rita, like Stealth and other intamin accelerators, uses magnetic brakes. These are very powerful, and as seen from riding Stealth, these slam you into the shoulder restraint. For major safety reasons, Rita will never get lapbars. Simply face the facts.

As for the new area: it looks ok. Would like see some flats added near it in the future though..

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Karen said:
Looks a bit odd the kiddie area sandwiched between Dark Forest and Hex.
It's not in between them at all! You'll have to walk past Hex to get to "Cloud Cuckoo Land" (and you thought Ug Land was bad?) but it's not in between the lands.
Don't "Dark Forest" and "Gloomy Wood" mean the same thing? Besides, after visiting once in February I think they've done a pretty good job of it, the entrance looks pretty good, anyway. I just hope they don't dumb it down simply because Thirteen is 1.2m height restriction (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Also, bring "Bone Shaker" bag as another fallen branch, that'd be great.

tks

Strata Poster
I think Bone Shaker was a bit too tall for the area. That or it was broken and nobody went on it! It's a shame because i LOVED that ride when it Energizer in the X-Sector (which really needs to get rid of submission and put something bearable in its place).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
For all those who keeping saying Rita should get lapbars: it simply can't. Rita, like Stealth and other intamin accelerators, uses magnetic brakes. These are very powerful, and as seen from riding Stealth, these slam you into the shoulder restraint. For major safety reasons, Rita will never get lapbars. Simply face the facts.

Two things, first this topic has already been discussed at length (well, at UC posts...) and second let's not forget Xcelerator and TTD both have lapbars... And I didn't 'slam' into them... But again, this is for another topic...

And Boneshaker was always (arguably suitably for the area's theme) dead... Which was a shame as it was a decent if not different ride... But cos of the way they put Rita into that area, the other rides just died a horrible death in the popularity scale...

Alton does need more flats though that are rideable and actually exciting... Atm the best one is Marauders Mayhem...

Gazza

Giga Poster
let's not forget Xcelerator and TTD both have lapbars... And I didn't 'slam' into them... But again, this is for another topic...
But TTD and Xcel both have massivley long brake runs compared to all the other Accelerators, so they can decelerate more gradually in a way that doesn't cause a 'slam'.

Look at Xcel:
http://www.rcdb.com/1574.htm?p=6021

And compare to Rita:
http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/GB/Alton/ ... Speed.html

Anyway, adding lap bars would be a tough case for the park. It would mean rebuilding most of the train, for no real return on the money invested.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Looking at this map makes me realise just how much I love Alton and how great it feels for the park to finally be 'sorted out', with the exception of Rita (the name not the ride itself) and Air (again, theme/name not the ride) the place has finally become consistent with it's theme. Looking forward to see ing it prosper in years to come.

Yeah looking at the made me realise how freakin awsome Alton really is. Not only does it have an abundance of large coasters, but the smaller ones are fun too, like Runaway Mine Train and Spinball, plus the awsome darks, Duel and Hex, good water rides too. Add all that to some fantastic scenery and landscaping. Brilliant!

They now just need to sort out X-Sector, get a couple of modern flats, and replace the Flume with a Woodie. Thank you!

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
They now just need to sort out X-Sector, get a couple of modern flats, and replace the Flume with a Woodie. Thank you!

X-Sector does desperately need a hug, I was saying it about Spinball last year and that got a new layer of paint (and they stuck sonic's face on it a few thousand times but that's not important), so maybe they'll do the same with x-sector next year?