What's new

Netbook advice

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to invest in a netbook so I can do CF crap on the move. The iPhone is fine but it's limited and fiddly. I don't want a fully blown laptop, a netbook is ideal because it's easier to carry and can carry out the functions I require - internet, word processing and photo stuff. For the more intensive **** I can use my desktop PC.

I know bugger all about computers. What's "good", what should I avoid, is there any sort of spec I should look out for?

Thanks my lovelies :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I have one of these. so it HAS to be the best:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Netbook ... B002MQOI3K

You'd need to use the iPhone for internet on the move (if there isn't Wifi) or get a dongle though, but you would for most Netbooks.

I find it excellent for "TV Surfing" and I have a plug in monitor and keyboard for if I want to do "serious" work, so it's replaced a desktop for me too (if I ever used it as such to any real degree, but I probably did 80 or so hours of New CF dev work on it).

Battery life is good (about 6 hours if you're careful) and it has an SD slot for grabbing pictures off your new Canon camera.

If you shop around, I think you should be able to pick one up for about £200-£220.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thanks, furie. I'll check it out. I'll also have a butchers down town later and ask some of the "experts" in the shops as well.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If they have any out to play with, it's always worth making sure you like the feel of the keyboard and stuff.

I know the Samsung gets criticised for the "single bar pad button", but I've never had an issue with it.

Error

Strata Poster
When I was doing research for a new computer, I had looked into getting a netbook. But at that time, they had maybe 10 GB drives, so it wasn't worth it to me. But, as expected, they've advanced enough to almost meet my laptop's specs.

As with anything, it's all about how you feel about it. I personally don't like the small screen and keyboard, and even with my laptop here I still use a mouse. I know lots of people at my colege who use their networks all the time and love them. They're meant to be simple computers, for email and web browsing, but I know that's all you want to use it for anyway.

So I'd go for it!

marc

CF Legend
Do not get an iPad they are pointless and you have an iPhone.

I just think Netbooks are over priced though they are like £300 and you can get a laptop for not much more.

There are loads out there at the moment that all do about the same tbh.

I had a Samsung laptop for a while and there was nothing wrong with it at all, but I sort of swing more to HP stuff as they are a bit more solid but you really do not need to spend loads.

Also do not let them sell you mobile internet as your phone can now make a wifi hotspot so your netbook can use this to get online.

Ben

CF Legend
I had a Samsung and it was fantastic, very solid until some moron poured coke all over it <//3

Get the Samsung <3

Ha, iPad. Good joke.

A

Anonymous

It doesn't really matter which one you get since they are pretty much the same on the inside. The things that differ are the feel of the keyboard, touch pads and general build quality. So the best way is to go somewhere and test which one suits you best. Getting one of a more known brand could also be a better choice in terms of warranty and such. Also trying to get one with a 6-cell battery might be worth looking into, since then you could get 10+ hours of battery life which is good for longer Lives.

Avoid both models that were posted above since they have really outdated hardware (I didn't know you could still get one based on the N270 cpu), get one that is based on N4xx (single core) och N5xx (dual core) Atom CPU's, they are faster, use less power (which gives 10+ battery life compared to 5-6 hours), have Windows 7 and usually cost less than the ones posted above...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That's great advice, thanks Loefet. I had a quick look around Best Buy and Comet today and I did notice that they all appear to be the same, just different casings. I did quite like the look of the Sony Vaio M series, it felt nice to use. It's not something that I'm going to jump into as I can't afford it this month.

I did look at the Macbooks, loved them but then saw the price. No.

iPads are horrible. I want something that allows USB, card readers, flash etc and doesn't make me look like a ponce.

Laptops in general are too cumbersome. I want something small and light that I can put in the Magnificent Bag of Professionality and use for web browsing, word processing, emails and the odd bit of photo work.

Thanks for all the advice so far. :D

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
Lol if you want to go really over the top you could go with one of theese

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-m11x ... l=en&s=dhs

But realistically you could go for something like this, this ones actually pretty decent,

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 419040.htm

A great tool that i have just found is this page here

http://www.bestnetbooksreview.com/

It should give you some great ideas on where to start, moreover check out http://www.novatech.com/ they were doing great deals on note and netbooks not long ago, check them out...

Hope you find what you were looking for...

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Acer Aspires are good for a pittance. A raft of decent cheap netbooks are usually available on Argos's clearance bargains shop on ebay.

binton16

Roller Poster
Until last week I had a HP netbook. I have since replaced it with an ARCHOS 7o internet tablet. £250 for a 250GB tablet is a good price compared with £600 for a 64GB iPad.

However netbooks are fine. I have switched to an android tablet because they are faster to use.

Nic

Strata Poster
Sony's are usually overpriced for what they are. You can normally get something of the same spec for less in a different make.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Personally, I have been using an MSI Wind U100 for the past 2 years for anything that doesnt require me to be on my pc...

Essentially its the same specs as 75% of the Netbooks. 1GB of Ram standard, 1.6GHz Atom, 120gb hdd. However, what makes the Wind interesting is the ease of installing an extra gig of ram, and the official BIOs update lets you overclock the processor by 33% when its plugged into the mains. It makes it to be a pretty quick little netbook when combined with the extra gig of ram...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've managed to acquire a brand new Sony netbook for £150 from a mate of a mate...

Picking it at the weekend.