What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe there's a couple of steps and they're for disabled access?

Lofty

CF Legend
Tom G said:
-lofty- said:
Um, in my opinion, they're lifts, it's that simple...

The Dungeons in Amsterdam have an actual elevator, I don't understand why it's so hard to believe they're real elevators?

Because the plans show that the entry and exit levels of the lifts are the same.

What you're not realising is the fact that on plans, elevators seem as though they're actually on the same level. There's actually no way of showing they're on separate levels. It's not like a staircase in which you can put a jagged line to show a difference in elevation, it's a straight shaft, no angled elevation difference...

morgano

Roller Poster
The lifts are 100% fake, there is no discussion to be had about this really!

I can't post the photo but if someone else can it's here:

http:// i.imgur .com / tugd4.jpg

The photo above shows clearly the area where the exit lift is planned (look at the plans to see the layout). Clearly the hole has a concrete base and is no more than 50cm deep at max. The lifts are purely for effect and immersion, I'm more interested in how good the effect will feel. The Blackpool dungeon has a real lift with simulated effects to give the impression of going down when in fact you go up. Even though this is a real lift the effect isn't that great at all. In fact, the Blackpool Dungeon is the last "fake" lift built my merlin I hope they can improve the effect for Sub-Terra substantially.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
tugd4.jpg

There you go :)

spicy

Giga Poster
That's actually pretty cool I bet there aren't that many people that rode it in 1994 and still have their ORP.

Anyone on here have a 1994 Nemesis ORP and signing up?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Where does it say anything about having an ORP?

You need to attach a photo, but that's probably to make sure they don't accidentally invite any hideously ugly people to appear in their promo material.

I actually rode in 1994, but can't be **** ed to write a sycophantic blurb for something I can't be bothered to ride until next year anyway.

Ollie

CF Legend
The twitter account for the ride have added some pics. Here's one of them.
AkWi44BCEAEPpDE.jpg:large

It shows that it's not the ride everyone through it was (think it was called Pandoras box or something) and was what everyone thought it would be in the first place which is just 4 drop towers facing inwards.
Hoping they'll still have a scene of some sort. Something scary at the top before you fall hopefully.

Lofty

CF Legend
This is dire. Even if it does have scenes, it's still an Extremis, at least when we thought it was a cheap Pandora's Box, it was kind of exciting, now, it's just ****. Plus, Extremis actually has a "Scene" if you want to call it that...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Depends WHAT this actually does... It could have an extensive story, theming, interesting surprises... It's difficult to predict what is actually going to inside the big box...

Towers are going for much more of an overall experience here, look at Hex, that is JUST a Madhouse, yet it is considered one of the best dark rides in the UK... As long as it's better than the LAST dark ride at Towers, we'll be fine...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
We're seeing that wonderful split again. Lots of people building themselves up for a massive disappointment ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Depends WHAT this actually does... It could have an extensive story, theming, interesting surprises... It's difficult to predict what is actually going to inside the big box...

Towers are going for much more of an overall experience here, look at Hex, that is JUST a Madhouse, yet it is considered one of the best dark rides in the UK... As long as it's better than the LAST dark ride at Towers, we'll be fine...

Ah, but the thing with Hex is that is lasts....what....at least a minute? (Complete guess, I have no idea how long it lasts). Extremis is less than 30 seconds of ride. They're going to have to do something incredibly clever to make this a substantial[/ian] immersive ride experience. Not that I doubt Alton could pull it off, of course.

Ben

CF Legend
You do have to remember Hex was built 12 years ago, when Tussauds were actually good at this sort of thing.

Now we're in the post-Th13teen and Saw world where we realise they are capable of being totally awful, I hold less weight in the "they did it 12 years ago, before all these botch-jobs... and when they were a different company!" statement than I would have.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ To be fair though, how much input do/did Merlin/Tussaurds put into projects like this/these?

They're only the parent company that owns the place, the actual park sure has its own management team? I would have thought Merlin just come up with the cash?

Ben

CF Legend
^But, it'd be Merlin who decide who runs each park and what cash they get.

You can't deny there's been a rapid downward movement in terms of new attraction quality and overall way the parks are run, IMO.