What's new

Nemesis: Sit BackWARDS? It's fright time.

STC

Mega Poster
There is absolutely no evidence of indication whatsoever that it'll be turned backwards this season.

Brookes

Giga Poster
The 21st birthday 'event' has been announced on Alton's facebook page:

On 26th March, Alton Towers Resort will celebrate Nemesis’ 21st birthday and we’d like you to join us. With talks from both John Wardley (the creator of Nemesis) and Andy Hine MBE (Chairman of the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain) as well as a chance to ride the ride once the Theme Park has closed, it will be an event not to be missed!

Places are extremely limited so please tell us why you should be part of the Nemesis celebrations! Share your best stories with us at happy@alton-towers.com

peep

CF Legend
Wow, that sounds like quite the goony affair. Which is odd, and yet awesome. Will be interesting to see how many peeps on here go along.

Ben

CF Legend
They did the same thing for its ten year birthday so I'm not really surprised.

Was hoping it might actually get some care to be honest.

Alex23

Roller Poster
Its pretty much the event TowersTimes ran last year with an extra talk from Andy Hine. In addition running it on a Thursday seems pretty odd as lots of people wont be able to make it due to school/work.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Annoying that it's on a Thursday otherwise I'd have gone!

And I highly doubt they're spite the last two rows for backwards, I think even the Towers know that those are the sought after seats so would never do such a thing.

Can you IMAGINE how brutal Nemesis backwards would be <//3

lachlan

Mega Poster
nadroJ said:

And I highly doubt they're spite the last two rows for backwards, I think even the Towers know that those are the sought after seats so would never do such a thing.

I doubt it wouls be pleasant, but Nemesis backwards is something I'd try given the chance.

And the temproary rotation of the back row surely shouldn't be a problem for enthusiasts?

nadroJ

CF Legend
lachlan said:
nadroJ said:

I doubt it wouls be pleasant, but Nemesis backwards is something I'd try given the chance.

And the temproary rotation of the back row surely shouldn't be a problem for enthusiasts?

Disagree. Back row Nemesis is often cited b enthusiasts as one of the best coaster experiences ever, turning the seats backwards would ruin it.

Alex23

Roller Poster
Not sure it would be a temporary rotation if it happened (which I very much doubt it would) as Merlin wouldn't shell out the money to turn it round only to turn it back the other way after a year.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Yeah, it is amazing but I'd happily trade it for a few months if I got to try Nemesis backwards.

Alex23 said:
Not sure it would be a temporary rotation if it happened (which I very much doubt it would) as Merlin wouldn't shell out the money to turn it round only to turn it back the other way after a year.
They never turned Swarm back around.

Alex23

Roller Poster
Thats what I was saying if they were going to do it (which they wont ) it would be permanent not a temporary thing.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
IF they did do it, which I am 99.9999% sure now that they won't, well, better put, they won't, it's almost ludicrous to think I was considering the possibility a week ago, but IF they did, I reckon it'd be just a season long thing for it's 21st birthday. True, Swarm never got turned back around but that happened in it's 2nd season, they used it to drag people in as a new coaster in 2012, and then used the 'Brave it Backwards' scheme to drag people back in 2013.

They'd turn Nemesis around as a 'special treat' in my opinion, because they know it is loved by the general public and enthusiasts alike. But come 2016, it'll be back to normal...unless they receive unprecedented good reviews on it, then they might keep it like that.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think its a shame, actually. Backwards Nemesis in the short term would be a neat thing. But yeah, if it was forever, or if the public suddenly loved it and they decided to keep it that way, I'd literally cry. So it's not worth the risk IMO to wish for such dangerous things.

Gimble

Roller Poster
Nemesis is staying exactly how it is.

Wouldn't want to start chopping and changing the training procedure/ COSWP, and impede loading.

Its nice to see the original font and tagline from when nemesis opened making a return appearence. It always used to be that scratchy font until the late 1990's.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Just been today. Not only was it closed, it was completely barred off with barriers and there was a crane by the lift hill. Maybe something is happening... (Sorry I didn't take pictures!)

davidm

Strata Poster
Video of the Nemesis21 event.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7OjP4YKYwE[/youtube]

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
cjbrandy said:
Just been today. Not only was it closed, it was completely barred off with barriers and there was a crane by the lift hill. Maybe something is happening... (Sorry I didn't take pictures!)

TowersTimes tweeted about this today. Maintenance work on the lift hill motor was all that happened. Quite why they didn't do this in the off season, I don't know. Maybe they had a problem with it on Tuesday.