What's new

Nemesis Questions

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm not really sure what section I should post this in, so hopefully this is the right one. I've just got a couple of questions about Nemesis that hopefully you know the answers to.

RCDB states Nemesis's height is 42' 8", is that the height above ground level? If so what is the height from the top of the lift hill to the station's track height?

Do you know the angle of the lift hill?

What is the width of the track from rail to rail? I read somewhere it is 1.2m but does anyone know for sure?

I'm going to try and create a recreation of Nemesis, not in Nolimits or anything like that, just purely in 3D Studio Max. 2 years ago I made the X-Sector, and now that I have learnt a fair bit more since then I wanted to have a crack at Nemesis. The answers to these questions will help me scale everything correctly so any help would be greatly appreciated. I would post a link to the youtube videos I posted but I'm not allowed until I have been registered for 7 days :(

Thanks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm not really sure what section I should post this in, so hopefully this is the right one.

Nope! But it's your first time here, so don't worry about it. It's in the right place now, so hopefully someone can help you out with the questions.

Oh, and 7 days isn't long! Stick around.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
On RCDB's glossary page, it says:
Height - the structure's greatest height measured from the ground to the track level. Railings, flagpoles and such are not counted as part of the roller coaster's height

http://www.rcdb.com/g.htm

A

Anonymous

If that is the case then it is not what I am looking for. I need the difference in height from the station to the top of the lift. Alternatively if I knew the degrees of the incline of the lift hill that would work as well. As the ground is so undulating around Nemesis the height AGL is not precise enough. Any ideas?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
The height on RCDB is from statiom height, I think. It says drop and 100 or so foot so I take it that is from lowest to highest point.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Basically here is a very simple mock-up of the incline:

incline.jpg

To me, it doesn't seem steep enough, what do you guys think?

Oh, now that I can post links, you can look at those X-Sector vids I made a while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLVxACDt6nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yN3ec_jYGI

A-Kid

Giga Poster
If I remember rightly, a lot of coasters have lifts between 22 - 25 degrees or angle. I think yours is about 12 - 15 degrees there.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, it's definitely not steep enough, although the top of the lift hill in that pic is pretty much 42 feet, so I'm thinking that the RCDB height statistic is above ground level.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Well I just measured on google earth, the horizontal length of the lift hill, and it's roughly 195ft. If the angle of the lift hill is 22 degrees, then using trig, the height of it would be about 195tan22, or 79ft. It's only very rough, but I hope it helps.

Ollie

CF Legend
So you did this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yN3ec_jYGI[/youtube]
I remember seeing that video ages ago and thinking it was amazing. You have a real talent for 3D modelling. I just wish my PC could run 3D Max. :(

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Oh wow that's awesome! you created it all by hand without things like no limits? And it's spot on!

The music in the background sounds like a heavily remixed version of colossus.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Wow, that model/animation is absolutely fantastic - far better than most of the simulations that parks produce. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get yourself known to a few theme parks!

Ollie

CF Legend
Did you make this on 3Ds Max? If so then I should hopefully be getting it after Christmas and would love to try something like this. Will have to get used to the new interface though and learn how to animate things. Do you make the trains go round using options within 3Ds Max or do you have to use another program?
Also where do you get your textures from?