What's new

Name a Park, What You Think it Needs to Do, and How To Do It

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Pretty simple thread, name a park that comes to mind and what you think the most important addition to it in the near future could be. Basically, a giant place to just dump your creative ideas directed at specific parks.

I'll start with the biggest ones I've had lately:

Dollywood
Dollywood is an amazing park with a fantastic setting in the Smoky Mountains and as a result, some of the views you can catch from localities around the park. However, you can hardly get a good glimpse of the mountains from inside the park. The train provides a nice view and the view you get from the top of Wild Eagle is amazing, but I feel like the park needs a sort of observation tower that could allow families to enjoy the view that thrill seekers enjoy on Wild Eagle.

The engineer in me that simply couldn't turn on this problem came up with a pretty reasonable solution. A Polercoaster. Maybe do a bit of an upgrade to the Wilderness Pass entrances and use this as the chief attraction in doing so. Cut out the useless basketball game by Tennessee Tornado (maybe move it to County Fair?) and in that spot open a Polercoaster with a mountain lodge motif. This could be a 300-500 foot tower that could crap all over Gatlinburg Tower nearby (which I believe is the biggest observation structure in the area). At the top of this there could be a two-tiered observation deck, the lower one holding a small park museum (put the Thunder Express car in the tunnel up in there) and maybe a souvenir shop and a full service restaurant, while the top one holds primarily an observation area. This would have so much more use than Skyscraper as unlike the paper-flat Orlando area, there's actually landscape to look at from this tower. You would ride up a tower painted a nice timber-y brown color with river rock accents in a nice glass elevator giving you a great view of the Smokies. On the actual coaster, however, you would spiral up and glide down on track painted a jade color (think the copper tarnish in some of Wild Eagle's decorations) with a 360-degree view of the Smokies surrounding you. Both the line for the elevators and polercoaster could reflect the "inspirational challenge" feel they used for Wild Eagle. I'd probably ditch the huge LED screen that it would have, but if it's an integral part of the design, use the layer to hold cutout steel sculptures of mountain life, like this picture but adapted for the Smoky Mountains complete with bears, deer, and eagles.

5853502501.jpg

If not, then maybe an animated mountain panorama on the LEDs, showing a mountainous view with the clouds moving and the occasional bird flying by and maybe a butterfly or two fluttering around in the foreground as a little homage to the park's logo.

As for names, I'd elect to call the tower Big Bear Tower or Dollywood Tower and the coaster, which would be tricky to name, I would probably call Smoky Mountain Run or something really basic like that. Maybe Mountain Wings if they go with the butterfly ornament I get to in a bit?

FireChaser just filled the two huge gaps the park had open and I feel like this would really bring something nice, fresh, and unique to the area as a whole. It would be something huge that could be seen from the entire park and possibly even outside, and act as sort of a "landmark." Most parks I've noticed have a "landmark"-type thing around them that serves as a visual icon for that park (KI and KD's Eiffel Towers, CW's Wonder Mountain, Epcot's Spaceship Earth, Cinderella's Castle, I could go on for pages if I wanted to) and Dolywood, while it is small, is a park I don't see as fully "regional" as it's located in an area that tourists from everywhere frequent and it aims to cater to those groups, so having a landmark attraction there would potentially make the park more of a Smoky Mountain icon. Maybe they could even put the Dollywood logo revolving on the LED screen if they have to go that route or put a giant butterfly capping off the tower, similar to what KBF initially wanted to do with its Windseeker.

Wind-Seeker-Knotts-Berry-Farm.jpg

I think having one of these visible throughout the park and immediately outside of it would be really good for the park and set it apart some from other regional parks, because right now I feel like it straddles the line between a regional and national destination, and adding something that could be seen as an icon of Dollywood would really boost attendance from the tourist portion of the crowd it's trying to please.

Just an idea that's been messing with my mind lately that I wanted to get out on paper.

Busch Gardens Tampa
When I went last November, Gwazi officially became my least favorite wooden coaster, taking the spot from Son of Beast. I sat down in the train, expected the padding to make it a bearable experience...didn't NOTICE the padding on that **** thing!

However, I feel like the idea of a big, long, epic dueling wooden coaster was good and it would be an amazing ride if it wasn't for the Son of Beast-esque texture.

My ideal fix would be to get RMC to reprofile (which shouldn't require much considering how well GCIs are typically shaped) the ride and I-box it, painting the I-box tracks the colors of their respective sides. In addition to that, as part of the reprofiling (and yes, I know I've suggested this for SFMM Colossus as well), add in two instances where the trains perform inversions in which one track zero-g rolls over the other and switches sides of the structure. I can think of a few places where this could be done.

As for branding, have RMC try to replicate what a 4-seater Millennium Flyer car would look like and save the front plates from the GCI zero cars to repurpose on the RMC zero cars. Call the ride something like Gwazi Unleashed or Gwazi Unchained and maybe add some small queue upgrades, similar to what they did with Cheetah Hunt.

And I LITERALLY just thought of doing this as I typed this, but maybe refit the drops with Medusa Steel Coaster's Smiler-style entry. It's a great layout with plenty of RMC potential, it's just that the texture is **** awful!

So yeah, post away! Love hearing peoples' ideas, especially when they get as detailed as mine!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Re: Name a Park, What You Think it Needs to Do, and How To D

surely the answer for all parks is
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... er_001.jpg

anyway - I'll just Parque Warner in Madrid.

Like most parks, they need to attend the europa park school of excellence in ride-op'ery (should be a word).

Replace coaster express with a nice GCI

Then they need to complete their ride selection with:

A nice ghost train

Some strategically placed kids play areas

and an awesome intamin air machine

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster

Six Flags New England:
Remove Flashback and Cyclone, built a Premier launch and a RMC inverting woodie. The park is lacking good rides (except for Bizarro, Goliath, and Batman) and needs some updates. Having three Vekomas in a single park should be against the law. If they make a few changes it would be so much more enjoyable and your day wouldn't just revolve around Bizarro. I like the park but these are the changes they need to make.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Flats, more flats, and even more flats. Dark rides, giant frisbee, (worlds largest on top of mountain?) and other high capacity ****.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Darien Lake

Add a new major coaster (like that rumored lake monster)

The way to do it is get CNL to agree to it. As apparently herschend wanted it

NAPayne31

Mega Poster

I'll go with Holiday World
All in all with the new expansion being close to being released, I'll let this be my last chance to let my imagination go wild for my home park. :D First of all, I would add along the lines of a B&M Giga with a more terrain feel, stay close to the ground after the first drop and weave in out the hilly Kentuckyana landscape. This of course would be located out back of Voyage's second hill and themed to a storm that rocked the pilgrims on their way to the new world. Secondly, I would completely revamp the 4th of July area of the park. This area is easily the most run down area of the park and just needs something to attract guests away from Thanksgiving and Halloween areas. Whether this be a shuttle coaster that GCI developed but one that the Gravity Group designs that would start near the rapids and snakes underneath Revolution and comes out for the second spike near The Sparkler or 3-point shoot out. This could be revived as Paul Reveres Midnight Ride which was just removed for the Grand Carousel. Lastly, topper track on The Legend and The Raven.

bmac

Giga Poster

Six Flags Great Adventure:

Flats and family rides. The park is actually very well balanced and has survived the last few exchanges in ownership okay. It just needs more flats to balance out the areas lacking in rides, like Plaza Del Carnivale, Golden Kingdom, and the now defunct Olde Country. A few dark rides not named Dark Knight would also be nice, but considering that Skull Mountain and the latter already exist alongside Houdini's their indoor ride count is actually pretty good compared to other parks. They really do need another family coaster, just to bridge the gap between Skull and El Toro. It may seem like that jump isn't large for kids but there are quite a few families I see every day around the park saying that El Toro is still too much for them even if they're more than tall enough to ride. 44 inches, 48 inches, doesn't really matter. It just needs to bridge that gap between the rides so it isn't going from 'calm and tranquil in the dark' to 'holy **** I might **** die on this.' Even though El Toro is 48 inches it's definitely the most intense ride in the park outside of Batman.

metalhead7

Mega Poster

Kennywood, take out a few of the flat rides and build a steel monstrosity of a coaster. Also lengthen the queue lines and hire more staff. Went there on Memorial day weekend, most rides were running 1 train, and almost all of the lines went beyond the entrance, but from the entrance it was still only like a 30min wait.

Cedar Point

Get rid of Gatekeeper

Put in a good wooden coaster

#totallyrealistic

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster

Six Flags over Texas NEEDS a brand new coaster. I would love a wing rider.

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster

All parks in America. Need to close down. Their dilution of the industry through their own particularly insidious brand of capitalism has resulted in less quality, worse rides and nasty sycophantism for the pathetic school of thought that dictates bigger is better.

Hobbes

Mega Poster

Why don't we just convert them all to direct clones of Efteling? :roll:

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster

Hobbes said:
Why don't we just convert them all to direct clones of Efteling? :roll:

Disney got there first? Charities don't work as well in the US?

Or you could be sensible, for once, and suggest something like the Blackpool Pleasure Beach, a world class park run by the same family from practically day one, and, up until Kim Il Mandy took over, one of the most soulful parks in the world.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

joshuadrooney said:
All parks in America. Need to close down. Their dilution of the industry through their own particularly insidious brand of capitalism has resulted in less quality, worse rides and nasty sycophantism for the pathetic school of thought that dictates bigger is better.

I've read a lot of idiotic, asinine, moronic comments on the internet, but you sir, just won. This beats what color is the white house for stupidity. Truly, fascinating stuff!

Worlds of Fun needs a large, multi looping coaster now that I think of it. A wing rider would be perfect for the smaller park. They could really use a launched coaster as well. Maybe a Mack launcher? They've done a lot to turn the park around and clean it up, with nothing new for 5 years now, a new big coaster is due.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Can I just say, feeding the troll is not going to help, although I do agree with you on that one.

Thorpe Park needs a hotel early, a CityWalk style complex where the Crash Pad and dome are, and a small dark ride perhaps. It also just needs some TLC across the park!

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster

Ethan said:
^ Can I just say, feeding the troll is not going to help, although I do agree with you on that one.

Thorpe Park needs a hotel early, a CityWalk style complex where the Crash Pad and dome are, and a small dark ride perhaps. It also just needs some TLC across the park!

Which troll would that be then?

Or are you attempting to (and failing to) stealthily label anyone who doesn't buy into the US style McThemepark School of Thought a troll? I should hope not, as that would be irrevocably immature.

Darren B

Giga Poster

^Darling, you are a troll, and the worst kind too. But not to worry, you'll be banned in the very near future no doubt.

Ethan, I'll have to disagree with you I'm afraid. Not completely, as what you've posted makes sense but, that's a decade in the future I feel. However, in my OPINION (I have to highlight that word as I don't want to ENRAGE the troll) I think Thorpe is in desperate need of a high capacity airtime machine (B&M being my personal preference). Obviously the enthusiasts would be creaming their pants but I also think it'd be a HUGE hit with the public.

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster

Darren B said:
^Darling, you are a troll, and the worst kind too. But not to worry, you'll be banned in the very near future no doubt.

Ethan, I'll have to disagree with you I'm afraid. Not completely, as what you've posted makes sense but, that's a decade in the future I feel. However, in my OPINION (I have to highlight that word as I don't want to ENRAGE the troll) I think Thorpe is in desperate need of a high capacity airtime machine (B&M being my personal preference). Obviously the enthusiasts would be creaming their pants but I also think it'd be a HUGE hit with the public.

Funny how I am called the troll, and yet it is you posting off topic personal attacks, but rest assured I have reported you and I will continue to do so until you learn how to be mature.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Ok, let's settle something.

This site is an extremely friendly one, there's hardly any conflict and we all appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion. We don't attack these opinions, and open discussion is what this site is about. We don't appreciate it when someone comes onto the forums and starts insulting our opinions, refuses to join in discussions because 'they are right and refuse to back such claims up', and worst of all attack where certain members live.

You've made no attempt to join in discussions, you just berate other members posts, and have made no attempt to get along with anyone. You're a keyboard warrior and no more than that. I'm sure if I had the pleasure of meeting you, you'd be a completely different person, and you certainly wouldn't talk to myself or other members the way you have been on here.

And finally, Remember one simple thing; we all post on here because it's a hobby, we're discussing something we enjoy. It should never be taken seriously, and you my friend, are taking it far too seriously.

I won't address you anymore on the forums as I'm pretty much fed up of lowering myself to your level, but it's been a pleasure.

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster

Darren B said:
Ok, let's settle something.

This site is an extremely friendly one, there's hardly any conflict and we all appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion. We don't attack these opinions, and open discussion is what this site is about. We don't appreciate it when someone comes onto the forums and starts insulting our opinions, refuses to join in discussions because 'they are right and refuse to back such claims up', and worst of all attack where certain members live.

This has not been my experience. I have had my opinion attacked from day one. Nobody has insulted your opinion, not something you can say with regard to myself.

Darren B said:
You've made no attempt to join in discussions, you just berate other members posts, and have made no attempt to get along with anyone.

And that is different to the way I have been treated, how?

Darren B said:
You're a keyboard warrior and no more than that. I'm sure if I had the pleasure of meeting you, you'd be a completely different person, and you certainly wouldn't talk to myself or other members the way you have been on here.

After the way I have been treated on here, you can rest assured you would be treated in much the same way. People need to accept that they are as responsible for my attitude here as I am.

Darren B said:
And finally, Remember one simple thing; we all post on here because it's a hobby, we're discussing something we enjoy. It should never be taken seriously, and you my friend, are taking it far too seriously.

I resent being called your friend. This should be edited out at the next available opportunity.

Darren B said:
I won't address you anymore on the forums as I'm pretty much fed up of lowering myself to your level, but it's been a pleasure.

It took you a few paragraphs but I knew you'd revert to type and start the personal attacks again. It's funny, you expect me to act differently to the way I've been treated, and make no effort to rectify your own attitude problems. This has now made it perfectly clear to me that I should make no effort at all.