What's new

Nürburgring | Ring°Racer | S&S Compressed Air Launch

Emmett

Giga Poster
I can see this being fun when there is actual racing happening on the track, especially if its side by side to the track. Comparing acceleration and speed to racing cars would good.

Riding it on a day without any racing would take away from the experience I think. I like the elements instead of the flat design I thought it would like previously, although it seems to slow down very early in.

Snoo

The Legend
Shockwave said:
Awesome launch but an awful coaster.

That's all that needs to be said.

Bout sums it up tbh. Although it does look to do more then I thought, the launch will be great.. but into brakes? Ew.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
Jerry - so from what you can gather, the ride will strictly be about the coaster, launch, and speed now, instead of that (somewhat pointless looking) slow section?
No UC, the only thing that's changed as far as I can tell is the high banked curve instead of the original flat one. No further coaster elements are planned in anything I have read. :( The 'somewhat pointless slow section' remains as originally planned.
The strange thing is that the brakes after the launch also remain the same even though the curve is no longer flat. I can understand the need to slow the train down before a flat turn, but I would think it shouldn't need to be slowed down as much before a high banked curve. :?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Shockwave said:
Awesome launch but an awful coaster.

That's all that needs to be said.

Bout sums it up tbh. Although it does look to do more then I thought, the launch will be great.. but into brakes? Ew.

Thing is (and I'm gonna correct myself here because there is a bit more to said), that the fact that it's proably gonna be a terrible coaster in terms of how we view them isn't really the point with this ride.

It's all about the experience of speed, which is what the circuit wants to keep in with its repertoire for high speed thrills. As an adrenaline rush it'll be great for those who aren't old enough to drive on/too scared to tackle one o the most fearsome race tracks in the world.

The second half is unfortunate because it's just a slow tour back to the station, but no-one is really gonna care about that, because that first few seconds is what people will remember. If you ever got the chance to ride that G-Force dragster ride which used to be next to Old Town Kissimmee, it's the same idea. Really fast launch, slow down, back to station. Nothing else required.

marc

CF Legend
I can not see the video so its probably stupid for me to post.

But an F1 driver went on Rita and was asked what he thought, he said in order for people to experience the speed of and F1 they also need to experience the stopping power.

Could it be this is the plan for this coaster? for me its more of a high speed ride on tracks than a true coaster experience.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^That's just it. It's not setting out to be a coaster in the traditional sense of the word. It's using coaster based means to achieve the sensations of going really fast in a high speed racing car.

marc

CF Legend
^yep but people are looking for it to be a coaster, it is and its not. I am not looking at it in the true coaster sense.

So tbh it does not really 100% matter about the layout, it does what its meant to.

Go really fast and slow down really fast. This is good enough for me tbh its as close as I will ever get to feeling the force of an F1 car.

What do people remember more on Stealth, the height or the launch. For me its the launch.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Remember, S&S are making this, so it will be the most unreliable coaster on the planet. Their basic rides they have in the UK suffer with enough down time, let alone this monster.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
If they wanted it to be more like a racing car sensation, why didn't they do a slower launch into some really wide forceless unbanked turns?

Hell, why not just get a racing driver to drive you round the track? Coaster cost - £20m + upkeep, Driver cost - £10 an hour...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Space, my friend. Space. They could have made wide turns, no doubt, but it would require land they haven't got, plus a tad more forces to put in the calculation.

And the coaster can take 12 peeps at the time, a Formula One car barely has room for one. And a coaster is more safe and requires less expensive Formula-1 fuel.

A

Anonymous

Some track pieces for the coaster have appeared.

track3.jpg

Looks pretty strange...

Source.

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
That's a weird-looking piece. I think this is a new style of track from S&S (haven't looked at this topic in a while), looks strangely flat.

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah it looks like a new track style, kinda like the Gerstlauer X-car track.

That track piece that loefet posted could be like an s-bend into the station or something, it looks to sharp to be anything else.

Boring Colour aswell, I was expecting it to be black for some reason.

A

Anonymous

The air-tanks have arrived:

1235599583851l.jpg

They look massive!!

ring-racer-11810384-MBQF.jpg

Mmm nice turn...

A few more images over at: TPR