What's new

Munich Oktoberfest 2009 PTR

Emmett

Giga Poster
This is my trip report from the Munich Oktoberfest which I had attended a few weeks back. We had been staying in Munich for a few days while visiting some parks and taking in the sights so we left a whole day to experience the madness of the Oktoberfest.

I had done the Bremen Freimarkt fair at the end of last year, so I was looking forward to another huge German fair and especially the attractions which include Olympia Looping, Alpina Bahn and Hollenblitz.

The Oktoberfest is held every September/October in the Theresienwiese which is a large open area just a few minutes outside Munich City centre. The fair is famous for its Bavarian food, huge beers tents and people wearing the traditional Bavarian clothing.

On the fair side there is huge arrange of attractions including roller coasters, flat rides, fun houses, haunted houses and ferris wheels. They can be quite expensive with the ride tickets costing anywhere from €3 up to €7 for the larger rides. Plus they hike up the prices at night time when the area becomes busier.

It was an early start and after arriving by the ICE train into Munich, it was then straight off to the Oktoberfest. It wasn't too hard to find as we just followed the crowds all the way there. Even at 11am in the morning the place was filling up.
MO_003.png

This was one of the main walkways through the park area which ran from one side to the other. You can just about spot Olympia Looping’s lift hill on the left hand side in the distance.
MO_001.png

Schutzen Festzelt was one of the many large beer tents at the Oktoberfest.
MO_002.png

Some folk in the traditional Bavarian clothing.
MO_011.png

MO_037.png

First up was ‘The Tower’ event centre. I initially thought this was some kind of drop tower but it turned out to be just an observation tower themed to a hotel.
MO_004.png

It was really messed up at the start they give you a set of 3D glassed then you step into a room which vibrates and then that’s it. I was waiting for a big surprise but nothing happened.
MO_006.png

At least the views on top were good so I grabbed some photos before getting the lift back down. This view was towards the south of the area with the ferris wheel and Alpina Bahn in the distance.
MO_005.png

The massive Olympia Looping which I was really looking forward to riding again.
MO_023.png

Next up was Feuer + Eis the powered coaster.
MO_014.png

Like most of the other rides at the Oktoberfest, there was some really nice theming on this coaster.
MO_012.png

It was an enjoyable coaster with a good few circuits and some forceful turns throughout.
MO_013.png

Next up was the Hollenblitz. The fantastically themed spinning coaster.
MO_008.png

I’m not too keen on spinners but Hollenblitz I really enjoyed. Dropping down from the indoor section to the outside is probably the best part.
MO_009.png

I only realised on this visit that the whole front area looks pretty similar to Valhalla with the rock and waterfall effect. The theming was amazing.
MO_010.png

The Star Flyer and St Pauls Church in the background.
MO_007.png

The Bavarian brewery Löwenbräu’s tent is one of the biggest beer tents at the Oktoberfest.
MO_020.png

The decorated horses from one of the beer breweries and the Bavaria statue in the background.
MO_034.png

The usual overpriced merchandise shop and the tower from the Paulaner beer tent. Luckily there was plenty of smaller shops near the railway station selling cheaper merchandise.
MO_019.png

The credit whores favourite, the two Wilde Maus coasters side by side.
MO_018.png

At €4.50 for each coaster I wasn’t expecting too much but they were both pretty goood fun. The cars really flew through the turns and some of the turns were very intense.
MO_016.png

All the cars travel through both coasters in the same sequence, so they both leave and arrive simultaneously.
MO_017.png

Next up was my favourite from the Oktoberfest.
MO_025.png

It totally blew me away as it felt even more intense compared to last year when I rode it in Bremen.
MO_026.png

Even at €6 a go during the day, its certainly value for money for what an amazing ride you get. The speed and intensity throughout the whole circuit is something else and for the owners to be able to keep such an old coaster running in this condition is great work on their part.
MO_027.png

FutureWorld, one of the mainy themed funhouses at the fair.
MO_029.png

High Energy the Zierer Star Shape attraction, the same model as Bling at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
MO_028.png

Even the drop tower, Power Tower 2 was themed.

MO_021.png

MO_022.png

FreeFall the other tower attraction at the Oktoberfest.

MO_031.png

The famous Lebkuckenherz ginger bread cookies, which people give to each other as gifts. They don’t really taste the best but are mostly used as souvenirs.

MO_024.png

Up next was the second Schwarzkopf coaster at the fair, Alpina Bahn. It must have recently been given a paint job as the track and supports looked really striking.

MO_032.png

I wasn’t expecting it to be any match to Olympia Looping but it came very close. It really keep a high speed throughout the circuit and provided a very intense ride throughout. The first drop was fantastic.

MO_030.png

Just exiting the break run at the end of the ride.

MO_040.png

Luckily there was space behind the coaster to get a full photo of the track unlike the front where there were too many attractions in the way.

MO_035.png

Just beside Alpina Bahn was the Huss Frisbee, funnily called Frisbee.

MO_038.png

Just before the money ran out the final attraction we did was the giant Ferris Wheel with the bungalow style carriages.

MO_033.png

MO_039.png

Overall the Munich Oktoberfest is one hell of an experience. The sheer scale of the event is amazing. My highlights were definitely the two Schwarzkopf coasters, Olympia Looping and Alpina Bahn. Just make sure that if you are planning a trip sometime in the future, to bring plenty of cash.
MO_041.png

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Olympia Looping is one of my "must-ride" coasters. I have to get to one of those fairs at some point.

tks

Strata Poster
Must. Go. Next. Year.

I've always wanted to go there, and next year is the 200th anniversary I believe. :) Great report

MO_024.png

My friend got his bag searched at Dusseldorf airport because of one of these cookies. It was a "suspicious article" according to the German security team.. :lol: I think his said I love you on it... lmao!

marc

CF Legend
Great report, I really want to go.

Alpina Bahn when we rode it was fantastic and worth every single penny.

Like most Olympia Looping is a must for me.

Both these coasters are by my favorite builders so I will be very happy there.

Shall aim for next year.

Where did you stay, as when I priced it last year flights and hotels just make it so expensive.

Nadia

Mega Poster
Your photos make me very JEALOUS!! I so want to go to this, been wanting to go for years and still haven't :-( The rides look so good and lots and lots of beer

yinyang

Mega Poster
As are the others, I am very very jealous. Olympia looks so good, as a coaster and because of the detail and colouring of the 5 loops.
The whole event looks amazing and I hope to go next year if I can. Great photos and trip report.

Emmett

Giga Poster
marc said:
Where did you stay, as when I priced it last year flights and hotels just make it so expensive.

I flew into Bratislava Marc, then had a few days in Vienna before heading up to Munich as it was cheaper that way. Then we flew out through Memmingen with Ryanair which was cheaper than going through the main airport in Munich.

We ended up staying in a hostel as the hotels were all nearly booked out or very expensive.

Thanks for the comments guys :--D .