What's new

Most surprising coaster addition ever?

TilenB

Strata Poster
Reviving this thread after a few months, but Plopsaland's Ride to Happiness. It's a family park, the next best thing is a family woodie and a somewhat disappointing gerst launch.

Then they built that. WTF.
Yep. I remember being somewhat disappointed by the park on my first visit in 2016. I went in knowing that they had a launched Gerstlauer coaster and six other creds to tick off, which sounded pretty promising, only to discover that Anubis was the only even somewhat thrilling ride in the park. I ended up cutting my visit short and going to the beach instead that day.

Cue to my recent visit this April. They added what's without doubt one of the most extreme coasters on the planet, while the rest of the place (including the new family friendly wooden coaster) is very much still a family park...

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I ended up cutting my visit short and going to the beach instead that day.
I'm guessing you didn't get Vleermuis? EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you did.

On topic, Circuit Breaker. Kudos for Cotaland for going from a place precisely zero people on this board had heard of to proud owner of Raptor Attack, a really wacky Infinity and North America's very first tilt (and new-gen Vekoma overall) coaster!

TilenB

Strata Poster
I'm guessing you didn't get Vleermuis? EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you did.
Yeah, should've added that I left after getting all of those 7 creds. And I feel half of my time there was spent waiting for the SuperSplash to open three hours after the rest of the park did (just Plopsa things, I experienced a similar thing a few days later in Coo).

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m not sure if this one has already been mentioned, but having thought about it a bit more, I must say that I can imagine Silver Star at Europa Park having been quite a surprising addition at the time.

Up to that point, Europa Park had remained a fairly mild park, with all of their attractions being quite mild mannered and not overly thrilling, as well as a pretty big emphasis on theming and experience.

But Silver Star was just a complete contrast to that. Unlike the mild-mannered Mack family coasters that adorned the rest of the park at that time, Silver Star was a massive B&M beast; a 240ft, near 80mph B&M Hyper, and the (then) tallest and fastest coaster in Europe, hardly aligns with Europa’s other pre-2002 coasters in terms of thrill level and general scale! Heck, even now, it towers over the rest of the park by a considerable margin, has relatively little company in terms of proper extreme thrill rides (I’d argue only Blue Fire and Wodan are really comparable in terms of thrill level), and is the park’s only ride with a 1.4m height requirement.

It also was (and to a pretty big extent still is) a complete contrast to the rest of the park theming-wise; most of Europa’s rides have loads of theming, and have immersion very much at the centre of the experience, but Silver Star… doesn’t really have much theming to speak of at all. I’d call it more styled than themed, and the ride itself in particular is totally devoid of theming. That is par for the course on hyper coasters, so certainly not a criticism (it doesn’t really need theming, in my opinion), but an unthemed coaster of that style doesn’t seem like the type of ride that EP would ever normally have gone for.

So as much as I love the thing to pieces, I can imagine that Silver Star, when you combine the relatively high octane ride experience and relatively minimal theming, was a pretty surprising addition to Europa Park at the time!

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
Surprised no one's mentioned The Raven yet. HW had the vision and balls to see what MIGHT come next. One could even say just by building it, they spurred a lot of small parks into the "build it and they will come" mantra we've been seeing over the years.