What's new

Most Sucessful coaster transformations so far

TJH

Roller Poster
In 2013 we will see 2 coasters undergo massive transformations but over the years we have seen coasters undergo many successful redesigns . So my question to you is that so far which makeover projects in your highly valued opinion did the best job of giving new life to old favorites.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Are we talking full transformations or just major changers???

The bobsleds at Seabreeze replaced the wood track with a tubular steel track in 1968

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In my "highly valued opinion" :wink: , Phantom's Revenge is the first to spring to mind. Steel Phantom was heralded as the brink of roller coaster engineering when it opened 1991. Which it was - though it was the fastest roller coaster in the world and tallest roller coaster to feature an inversion, it would thrash riders giving a very rough, uncomfortable ride. It could have faced the same fate of other large Arrow loopers (Shockwave, Great American Scream Machine), but gratefully Kennywood looked in 2000 to convert a massive multilooper into a hyper coaster.

Morgan was hired to do the conversion, and certainly did a heck of a job. All of the track except the lifthill was replaced, and the layout after the second drop was heavily altered to do airtime hills circling Thunderbolt instead of the original loop and batwing.

The Steel Phantom was ok, but its reincarnation as Phantom's Revenge has truly been a turn for the better.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Thirteen! From "The world's scariest ride experience" to "turd kiddie coaster" within seconds of opening! Astounding!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
owenrita121 said:
Does New Texas Giant count?

Nah, I don't think it really got much of a change did it? Few bits of metal here and there ;)

kimahri

CF Legend
What ablut I305's constant changes? Oh wait, it's **** now so it was probably worse at the start.

Uh what about SFNE'S Cyclone? You never used to get that air time you know on any of those drops but now that they have the the new topper track it runs so much better and boom you get some airtime you know [/playful micktake of ECG]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Phantom's Revenge is the obvious one, though having never ridden it before the inversions were ripped out I can't 100% say it's for the better.

For the UK, jayjay got it right when he suggested Raptor Attack. I thought it was excellent, though again without having ridden the orginal Sewer Rat for a proper comparison.

It's not open yet I don't think, but enclosing that old shuttle loop at Walibi Belgium should really give that a whole new lease of life.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ The main differences that are quick and easy are a smoother ride with better transitions, more airtime and that the ride feels more "complete" in an odd manner.

The little things are:

The howl. Steel Phantom was nice, but Phantoms Revenge is on par with the B&M roar. This may not matter, but it honestly makes the ride sound pissed off due to the loss of inversions.

The double up. It was just an average hill up into the brake run. It wasnt fun, it wasnt a surprise ending and it was just meh.

There are more but why reminisce on what I will never experience again. I sorely miss that batwing and the random rides of untrimmed heaven (smooth and forceful <3) though.

TJH

Roller Poster
2 questions: Does I305's new turn bring the intensity back to where it once was?

and is Phantoms revenge better than Steel phantom?

Taxi

Mega Poster
TJH said:
2 questions: Does I305's new turn bring the intensity back to where it once was?

and is Phantoms revenge better than Steel phantom?

1. The radius of I305's high-speed-curve was tweaked to make it more comfortable for riders, and to reduce maintenance of the coaster itself. So No, the ride is less intense.**

2. That question is up to you to decide. Many enthusiast agree that the transformation to Phantom's Revenge was for the better. The ride was considered rough and uncomfortable before. Now it has lots of airtime and more comfortable restraints. You be the judge.

**nothing humanly noticeable though. Intamin should of just completely redone the first high-speed-curve IMHO. This ride will have a terrible rattle in a few years due to the forces exerted there.**