What's new

Most Harshly Scrutinized Coaster?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Which coaster that isn't necessarioy bad do you feel gets absolutely crucified by enthusiasts looking for every little thing to pick apart about it? This coaster could probably just exist as a +1 wherever it is and never be spoken of, but for some reason, goons just love to hate on it. This so-so coaster faces just as much judging and criticism as known pile of **** creds, such as Flight Deck or Gwazi. Why do you think this coaster gets torn apart so much and why doesn't it deserve it?

In typical Best Topic Starter of 2015 fashion (first new thread with the title!), I have to give this to Laff Trakk. For some reason, ever since this thing was even announced, enthusiasts took great pleasure in laffing at Hershey's new family coaster. It was called dumb, stupid, lame, and was seen as a joke. When it opened, the Laff Trakk hate didn't let up at all. People complained about how it didn't spin, didn't do much, how the theming felt cheap, if they could find anything horrible to say about Laff Trakk they would say it. However, I really don't think all the bashing was necessary. For a park like Hershey with such a long operating season extending into both the rainy months of spring to the snowfalls of December, an indoor coaster that can run with weather being irrelevant is necessary. It was never supposed to be the next Skyrush or Fury, it was supposed to be a family coaster. I found it to be a fun, quirky ride. And while this could be my ADD talking, I found the theming fun and enjoyable. Add in the homage to the park's old fun houses and what a nice job Hershey did making that blocky brick of a building look nice and you have a fun addition to the park. Sure it doesn't spin as much as the other indoor spinner on the other side of the state or deserve the two hour waits it was clocking in the app when I went, but it's a fun coaster. And with both the long operating season and the only other family coaster being Trailblazer which sucks, I think it was an important addition for the park. Was it the most fun ride ever? No. Did it deserve all the **** that was said about it this entire **** season? No.

So shoot! Coasters that aren't that bad that get nit picked to death and scrutinized intensely when they probably shouldn't be. Go!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Raging Bull. Everyone stops caring about it after they hear the word 'trim'. It has a fantastic first drop, some pretty neat floater airtime, a fairly intense ending, and is still fairly smooth. I honestly think that it should be viewed higher. Once you get an ERT and or marathon on this, you'd grow a love for it.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Two from the UK I can think of are The Swarm and the Smiler. The Swarm, whilst I haven't been on it, often seems to get slated for being too short. Yeah, I might be a bit shorter than other wing coasters, but it's still a decent size and seems to do it's job. And the Smiler usually gets panned for being rough, but I personally think its length and its ability to be quite fun make up for the last 3 inversions, which are a bit uncomfortable on the shoulders.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^ trimmed airtime hills.
Yet another reason why the smiler sucks. That ride is certainly deserving of the flak it gets.
Totally agree about swarm though, it's a fun enough ride and isn't offensive at all.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm gunna be controversial and say Baco. Yes, it rattles, but it's really not that bad and that launch/first drop combo is still to die for.

Ben

CF Legend
Yes, 100% Baco, for it is amazing and the launch and the inline twist and everything about it is great.

Also why does everyone seem to hate Dragon Khan now? One of the best old B&Ms there is!

Actually, PA in general. That place is incredible.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Agree with Dragon Khan, it's absolutely fantastic but Baco is just discusting, completely wrecked the rest of day from back and head ache.

Have to say I'm another lover of The Smiler, it's hardly rough, it looks fantastic, the theme is brilliant and it's fairly intense! Easily my favourite ride in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Millennium Force.

It is one of the most iconic roller coasters ever built... and man do coaster fans love to dig on it. Yes there are roller coasters with better airtime hills, yes there are better drops - but it still remains to be the most consistently ridden roller coaster (by the rider count numbers) at one of the most popular Amusement Parks in the nation. While popularity among coaster fans is questionable at best (despite finishing in the top 15 during the last Mitch Hawker Poll), it is statistically one of the most popular roller coasters in existence. (Bearing in mind Cedar Point is a seasonal park)

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Also why does everyone seem to hate Dragon Khan now? One of the best old B&Ms there is!

There is certainly roughness that cannot be ignored but with some tweaking I reckon it could be improved. When the head is kept forward its a great time and the zero G alone is worth a re ride for its violent rotation.

This brings me to my choice for this topic: Hydra The Revenge- I've seen this coaster get roasted on here and elsewhere at times and I'm not sure why? It is a very original, lengthy and creative custom layout that isn't just inversion after inversion and couldn't be more different from the generic copy and paste formula of loop, dive loop, zero G, cobra, mcbr, interlocking corkscrew/loop and corkscrew. Boring (well they're not but they are very copy and paste!). I've heard some complaints of rattle but if you keep your head forward there will be no pain! I bet it's nowhere near as bad as Flight Deck or the Vortex stand ups, I look forward to riding some day.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I really like Hydra. It's very different from the other B&Ms. There's an inclined dive loop that may or may not turn you upside-down. The zero-G roll leads to a corkscrew that goes the opposite direction. There's that roll right out of the station, which is one of the weirder sights on a coaster. Even the drop (at least at night) tricked me into thinking we were heading left.

The complaint I've heard is that it's forceless. I haven't ridden in a while, long before I gave any thought to positive Gs, so I can't comment, but the layout is pretty cool.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Nice topic. I can think of plenty underrated or enthusiastically pooped on examples, but most scrutinised?

I actually would argue its something like Air, where plenty of people think it's damn good, but there's a very 50/50 split of people who argue that its concept of flight is awesome, and those who say it doesn't quite work. It's heavily scrutinised because it's unusual.

In fact, Nemesis even. I've seen people pick that apart in such depth. The stall turn kills pacing, the zero g is too fast... These are criticisms less critically renowned coasters don't have to tolerate. Nemesis is so universally adored it has to tolerate extreme scrutiny. That's cool though, I like that.

On the flipside, Inferno doesn't actually get much scrutiny, despite not being as well loved. No one needs to, because everyone sort of agrees its just not that good. I went through a faze of trying to defend it, but the more inverts I rode, the further Inferno slipped into mediocrity.

Crazydud619dx

Roller Poster
Intimidator, or in this case, Intimidator.

It's pretty underrated in the B&M Hyper world and isn't even a bad ride. Sure, there's trims, but it doesn't reduce the airtime a lot. I've ridden it even with the trims off, and there's not much of a notable difference in terms of ride experience. It still has good floater airtime and the views you get is great, regardless of where you sit.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Gazza

Giga Poster
+1 to Air.
It's not the best flying coaster by any means, but at the same time I don't think it's awful ( In the sense of being uncomfortable to ride)

Flying around for a couple of minutes is a nice experience.

andrus

Giga Poster
Jarrett said:
known pile of **** creds, such as Flight Deck
cjbrandy said:
I bet it's nowhere near as bad as Flight Deck
What Flight Deck are you refering to?? There are only two in existance, whereof one is an SLC, which are all crap anyway. Are you refering to Flight Deck at California's Great America? Because hence I would definitely call that ride "scrutinized"!

I rode it for the first time a couple of months ago, and was greatly surpriced! You don't hear much of this B&M invert. And while the coaster is short it has a scenic setting, unusual layout, is very fast and pack quite a bit of a punch! I actually enjoyed it so much that I currently rank i #3 out of all the inverts I've been on. Just behind Black Mamba and Katun, and in front of Talon, Nemesis, Alpengeist and the likes.

What is ther to dislike about this ride? Ok, so my (very) high ranking has a lot to do with it's picturesque setting, which I loved! But I really can't find much negative about the ride either?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Crazydud619dx said:
Intimidator, or in this case, Intimidator.

It's pretty underrated in the B&M Hyper world and isn't even a bad ride. Sure, there's trims, but it doesn't reduce the airtime a lot. I've ridden it even with the trims off, and there's not much of a notable difference in terms of ride experience. It still has good floater airtime and the views you get is great, regardless of where you sit.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
I was pleasantly surprised by Intimidator at Carowinds. I think it would be a much better received B&M Hyper, had it not been the 3rd in the series of Cedar Fair B&M Hypers. That combined with ever-so-slightly shorter specs compared to Diamondback gave people a lesser taste right out of the gates - yet the coaster is an earnestly fine addition in all other regards.

Just take a look at criticism Mako has received (I being such a criticizer). Shorter specs compared to previous models = immediate castigation.

BigBad said:
I really like Hydra. It's very different from the other B&Ms. There's an inclined dive loop that may or may not turn you upside-down. The zero-G roll leads to a corkscrew that goes the opposite direction. There's that roll right out of the station, which is one of the weirder sights on a coaster. Even the drop (at least at night) tricked me into thinking we were heading left.

The complaint I've heard is that it's forceless. I haven't ridden in a while, long before I gave any thought to positive Gs, so I can't comment, but the layout is pretty cool.
I too am a Hydra fan, if not for the theme concept alone. I can agree it is one of the least forceful B&Ms I have ever ridden... in the front. The back row ride on it however gives a great ride. And let's also not forget that at 105 ft. in height - man does this coaster pack in an extensive layout!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
^^Was referring to the **** one in Canada. I forgot about the B&M one otherwise I would've specified, yeah it's short but it looks dope!

Edward M

Strata Poster
Ninja @ SFOG is considered one of the worst roller coasters ever, but I really enjoyed it. It is one of the better non B&M loopers I've ridden.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Edward M said:
Ninja @ SFOG is considered one of the worst roller coasters ever, but I really enjoyed it. It is one of the better non B&M loopers I've ridden.
You take that back right now.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ I agree with Edward. Ninja @ SFOG was a seriously smooth ride that was the 2nd best coaster in the park behind Goliath (at the time). I never understood the hate it recieved from everyone as it is (or was, havent been there since 07/08) surprisingly smooth.