What's new

Mitch Hawker Wood Coaster Poll 2012 - Results

Mike

Giga Poster
Just in case you didn't know, the Mitch Hawker poll for wood coasters in now open, and will be until the 8th of January!

http://www.ushsho.com/bestrollercoasterpoll.htm

The Mitch Hawker polls are widely regarded as the best and most accurate rankings for roller coasters. Anyone can vote in them, and I strongly suggest that you do!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Results

The results for the 2012 Wooden Coaster Polls are in, and the clear winner with a 100% winning record when put head to head with the other coasters, is Six Flags Great Adventures' El Toro Intamin Pre-Fab coaster.

The El Toro look-alike of T Express at Everland and Holiday World's behemoth The Voyage takes 2nd and 3rd respectively.

CoasterForce favourites Boulder Dash and Phoenix round off the top 5, whilst Balder, Ravine Flyer II and Colossos also make it into the top 10. New-for-2012 Gravity Group/PTC racer Dauling Dragon, featuring the 90 degree 'high-five' element, is the highest new entrant taking the 7th and 9th spots.

woodpollresults2012.jpg

In the UK, Oakwood's Megafobia takes the highest honours, ranking 37th overall, which is roughly the same as Joris en de Draak and Lightning Racer. Grand National isn't far behind at number 44, but these are the only 2 within the top 50.

At the bottom of the list you can find such duds as Walygator Parc's Anaconda, California Great America's Grizzly and Parque Warner Madrid's Coaster-Express.

Full results can be found here:
Results: http://www.ushsho.com/woodrollercoaster ... ts2012.htm
Detailed Full Results: http://www.ushsho.com/detailedwoodrolle ... ts2012.htm
19-Year chart: http://www.ushsho.com/woodpoll19yeartable2012.htm

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Mitch Hawker Wood Coaster Poll 2012

Huzzah! Now I am just hoping that we're able to see a 2012 steel poll as well.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^Same.

I filled it out for the first time.

Did it always have a "Favorite Steel Coaster at any park" option you are supposed to use?

BBH

Giga Poster

I don't have much experience...at all. :lol: The only reason Boulder Dash is on my list is because I might go to Lake Compounce to ride it over the summer.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Youngster Joey said:
Did it always have a "Favorite Steel Coaster at any park" option you are supposed to use?
There is a separate steel coaster poll that is normally conducted.

marc

CF Legend

I still have mine from 2 years ago and done any new woodies so will send that off.

Both polls should be easy this year lol.

Will make a point if doing them this year.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I should have saved mine somewhere from last year to be honest. I've got a few new ones to add in - Wodan, Mammut and Antelope (think that's it) - but otherwise it would have been the same. I suppose I could try and find my ballot from last year, if it's still on the Mitch Hawker site somewhere, but otherwise I'm not sure I can be arsed.

bmac

Giga Poster

I couldn't be arsed to tear apart the default ballot so I did the create a ballot app that's new this year. It worked out perfectly fine for me :D. Disappointing as all hell that I only have been on 23 wooden coasters though...

Third year doing this poll:
2010 - Steel only
2011 - Wood only
2012 - Hopefully both!

oriolat2

Giga Poster

I have always tried to take part in this poll. Shame last year we didn't even get to fill the steel one.

I have already submitted mine with this programme:

http://hawker.stationbrakes.com/

It makes it SO much easier to produce the ballot. cool)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

oriolat2 said:
I have always tried to take part in this poll. Shame last year we didn't even get to fill the steel one.

I have already submitted mine with this programme:

http://hawker.stationbrakes.com/

It makes it SO much easier to produce the ballot. cool)

Just submitted mine using this. Remember: Make sure you keep the line spacing the same when you add it to the email

nadroJ

CF Legend

Submitted mine using that thing too, first one I've done hope I've done it right!

Top 5:

El Toro, Colossos, Phoenix, Troy, Boulder Dash

Bottom 5:
Hurler, Falken, Wildcat (Hershey), Wildcat (LC), The Grizzly

Voyage, El Toro, Ravine Flyer II, Phoenix, Beast.

I know my sig says otherwise, but I think I preferred my experiences on Beast than my experiences on Boulder Dash :p .

Haven't been down to the bottom yet, but I'd assume my least faves would be like, Son of Beast and Villain :p .

Also ashamed to say how high Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain went. Not my fault it's amazing!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Top five are pretty simple I think:
Boulder Dash
El Toro
Megafobia
Balder
Lightning Racer - L (though T could have been better, both were excellent).

The Nash has dived due to it trying to extract my spine through the roof of my mouth on my last ride. Irked Balder is so high up, but I've only done 33 wooden coasters and most are dire.

Bottom five is also easy:
Blue Flyer
Antelope
Scenic Railway (S)
Cyclone (SFNE)
Tyrolean Tubtwist

I was tempted to put Cyclone bottom as it's hideous, but so was the Tubtwist.

All the rides in between are hard to put into order because they're such a mixed back of tosh and completely unremarkable. Top ten are probably relatively accurate I guess... Maybe LOL

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

My top 5 were

1: Phoenix
(2: Any other Steel)
2: El Toro
3: Leap The Dips
4: Jack Rabbit (Kennywood)
5: I think I put Skyliner but I can't remember this second

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Here's my Top 10:

Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
My Favorite Steel (Maverick)
Thunderhead - Dollywood
Apocalypse - SFMM
The Beast - KI
Lightning Race - Hersheypark
Prowler - WoF
Colossus - SFMM
Wildcat - Hersheypark
Blue Streak - Cedar Point

Gratefully, Villain is no longer listed as it has been torn down. :razz:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

My top 10...

Ravine Flyer II Waldameer
Thunderhead Dollywood
The Voyage Holiday World
El Toro SFGAd
The Beast Kings Island
Lightning Racer - L Hersheypark
Lightning Racer - T Hersheypark
Balder Liseberg
Boulder Dash Lake Compounce
Phoenix Knoebel's

And I put favourite steel first, in case anyone cares.

Anyone else find that when they do these polls it's like... a load of AWESOME then meh then terrible. There's no "good" section. I guess really, my "good" section goes from Boulder Dash through the likes of Megafobia and Grand National, the fun but none the less meh racing woodies at the ex-Paramount parks (I really like them. I dunno why. Especially Carrowinds.), Big Dipper and then just turns to meh. And then turns to actual turds, ranging from boring turds like Antelope and the crap-fest at Kennywood, (why do people rave about that park and it's absolute bollocks collection of ****?) to terrible vile painful turds like Georgia Cyclone, which I put at the very bottom, chillin' with Bandit and other retarded lumber.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Haha! I thought this exactly when I looked at my own list.

Down to Prowler I would dub the awesome section. Colossus, Wildcat, and Blue Streak I would say are solidly good. But then the list quality quickly drops to points where you are splitting hairs over which coaster is least mediocre.

Mike

Giga Poster

I've just sent my form off. :)

My top 5 look like this:
Boulder Dash Lake Compounce CT,y,n,1
Phoenix Knoebel's PA,y,n,2
My Favorite Steel Anypark Anywhere **,y,n,3
Balder Liseberg SE,y,n,4
Renegade Valleyfair! MN,y,n,5

And then there's a load of coasters where I couldn't really tell the difference where they should go (is there any difference whatsoever between Timber Wolf, The Boss and Robin Hood, really? :?), before getting to my bottom 5 where KD really comes into its own!
Stampida Port Aventura ES,y,y,67
The Grizzly Kings Dominion VA,y,n,68
Scenic Railway Luna Park-Melbourne AU,y,y,69
Rebel Yell Kings Dominion VA,y,n,70
Hurler Kings Dominion VA,y,n,71

nadroJ

CF Legend

I don't know, Joey, I found there was a lot of solid 'good' woodies. Lightning Racer, Apocalypse, Roar, Grand National, etc.

There was SO much 'meh' though, I didn't even bother to order a lot of the middle section, just one big blur of meh.