What's new

Mitch Hawker Steel Coaster Poll 2012 - Results!

Snoo

The Legend
steelresults2012.jpg

bmac

Giga Poster
JJLehto said:
Yeah...I have just accepted that it can't be possible for so many people to be wrong LOL I'm just in a small minority that thinks MForce as a top 5 coaster still. What can ya do? The people have spoken and I take Mitch's results as the word of god! I also needa get on BDash and Bizarro.

Nah, I glanced through the whole thing, a lot of people have MF in their top 5-20 and quite a few have it at their number 1.

Mitch's results are far from 100% legit, but at least they're better than those awful golden tickets.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I feel like they could expand on their survey size if they would give us 100 coasters to rank, if rode, and give us 5-10 write in's. The best are the best, while we can debate MF over 305 all day, but we would all agree they are both top rides. If you have to debate whether it should be #100 is there really a need to rank it?

I consider my count modest when compared to other enthusiasts, and I was ready to pull my eyes out ranking the 180ish steel coasters I have been on. Even when you knock off kiddie rides, clones, etc... I was still around 120 or so.

Gazza

Giga Poster
One for Rollermonkey (You help out on the poll right?) But why are the Mega Lite clones listed separately?

Mike

Giga Poster
Along with the Megalite clones, I've always found these to be an odd choice to be listed separately...

V2: Vertical Velocity SF Discovery Kingd CA,y,n,46
Steel Venom Valleyfair! MN,y,n,46
Vertical Velocity Six Flags Great Am IL,y,n,46
Possessed Dorney Park PA,y,n,46

They're all pretty much identical, and my rankings reflect this. :?
Sure, one of them stops briefly on the vertical, and another one has a spike that isn't vertical, but so what? They've all even got the same colour schemes!

Gazza

Giga Poster
Also, WFT is Vertiograma on the poll for. Nobody will have ridden it.

I'm confused too, Jet Rescue seems to be off the poll...What category has it been put in?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
JJLehto said:
Really not a big shock, it is as it generally lines up.

I know the enthusiast thing to do is dislike MForce, but wow all the way to 14 now.
So glad to see Skyrush make #7 : D and shocked Shambhala was that high. Figured top 20 even 15 but wow #6.

And I wanna find some people who've ridden the mega lites...I'm sure they are forceful and fun but I can't believe they both keep getting Top 10s!

So Leviathan Biggest Snub?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Pleasantly surprised that I305 held up a high ranking. Guess it's not quite so polarizing after all.

Definitely surprised to see Leviathan back at 18, though, after hearing nothing but rave reviews for it. All in all, that is a pretty respectable ranking, especially for a brand new ride, but I guess I expected it to be a lock for top 10.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Mike said:
Along with the Megalite clones, I've always found these to be an odd choice to be listed separately...

V2: Vertical Velocity SF Discovery Kingd CA,y,n,46
Steel Venom Valleyfair! MN,y,n,46
Vertical Velocity Six Flags Great Am IL,y,n,46
Possessed Dorney Park PA,y,n,46

They're all pretty much identical, and my rankings reflect this. :?
Sure, one of them stops briefly on the vertical, and another one has a spike that isn't vertical, but so what? They've all even got the same colour schemes!

Weird. I thought we'd grouped the actually identical ones when I was helping... Meh. Whatever. And the one at SFDK rides WAAAaaaay different than the others.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
JJLehto said:
Really not a big shock, it is as it generally lines up.

I know the enthusiast thing to do is dislike MForce, but wow all the way to 14 now.
So glad to see Skyrush make #7 : D and shocked Shambhala was that high. Figured top 20 even 15 but wow #6.

And I wanna find some people who've ridden the mega lites...I'm sure they are forceful and fun but I can't believe they both keep getting Top 10s!

Why, is a ride that is forceful AND fun a bad combination? I really enjoyed the one at Tobu. Even made a second trip to ride it again.

andrus

Giga Poster
Expedition GeForce? Number one?! Haha! I've stopped taking these polls seriously now :lol:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Expedition GeForce was riding AMAZINGLY last year. I've got no doubt that it must have had a couple of bad years because a lot of people had seemed extremely disappointed in it. However, those reviews simply don't match up to the way it was running more recently. Something must have been done to the coaster to get it back to its former glory.

I didn't vote this year simply because I couldn't be bothered, but I would've put GeForce above Bizarro.

The responses to the results so far are typical: "I haven't ridden it, so how can it be top ten" etc. So predictable every time.

Mark

Strata Poster
gavin said:
^Expedition GeForce was riding AMAZINGLY last year. I've got no doubt that it must have had a couple of bad years because a lot of people had seemed extremely disappointed in it. However, those reviews simply don't match up to the way it was running more recently. Something must have been done to the coaster to get it back to its former glory.

I didn't vote this year simply because I couldn't be bothered, but I would've put GeForce above Bizarro.

The responses to the results so far are typical: "I haven't ridden it, so how can it be top ten" etc. So predictable every time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who shows EGF some love. It's been my fave for years now although it rode poorly a couple of years back. Despite that I have always that it was a flipping brilliant and that had nothing to do with anyone else either!

_koppen

Hyper Poster
gavin said:

The two trim brakes on the ride were removed for the summer, but after the German TUV visited later in the summer/fall, they decided it was running a bit fast, and sure as hell they were put back in time for my visit in September.

But the ride was still running extremely well.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know how many of the people from the Germany trip last year voted, or how they voted, but I'll bet most would have put EGF very high - I certainly did as it was an absolute beast.

So rarely has a coaster lived up to early hype AND thrown recent opinion so easily out of the water.

Then again, we had really good luck with Silver Star too which was running brilliantly - but we apparently missed Wodan running well. So some wins, some losses.

mitch hawker

Roller Poster
I posted this to another forum. I am reposting here as I am interested to hear CF member's opinions...

Things I noticed:

LaRonde's Goliath fell from 17 to 62t this year. Looks like 44 2012 voters had ridden it vs. only 20 in 2010. Any other reason for such a fall?

Millennium Force was preferred over Maverick 112 to 97 among mutual riders but lost mutual rider comparisons to four European coasters and one Canadian coaster that Maverick won mutual rider comparisons against.

Leviathan won the comparison with Behemoth 39 to 19

All of Shambhala's losing comparisons to higher ranked coasters were close, losing only 9 to 7 to EGF and 3 to 2 to Bizarro, while beating I305 5 to 1. It did also lose comparisons to lower ranked rides iSpeed, Katun, and Maverick.

Much has been made of MF's 14th place finish this year. It should be noted that its 2008 and 2009 finishes could be considered lower than this year as 5 or 6 of the rides that finished above it this year were not in the poll in those years.

The 12 year chart is now up on the site.

Mitch

...I've been a member here since 2008 but for some reason the forum says otherwise

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
mitch hawker said:
LaRonde's Goliath fell from 17 to 62t this year. Looks like 44 2012 voters had ridden it vs. only 20 in 2010. Any other reason for such a fall?
Ha, well, I myself loved LR's Goliath and had in the past placed it in my top 15 or so but this year I just never got around to completing my steel ballot. Could people being lazy be the downfall for such ride? FWIW I did have 219 rateable steel coasters for this years poll. I just didn't have the time to sit down and 1,2,3 them all. (got as far as Y/Y Y/N)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^I hear ya. No clue what my rankable number is any more. I just know that it's become ridiculously cumbersome, and took a few hours to do my ballot the last time I did it, and I've gotten more than 100 new ones since.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I don't think it's really too shocking that Shambhala is that high. I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about it. Sure it has less comparisons but it deserves to be up there in my opinion.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I'm Still surprised that Leviathan didn't make top 10. I don't 100% understand how the poll work, but was it due to general lack of riders or low rankings?

It's a shame though, that coaster is the best Giga I've ridden.