Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I'd be lost without it

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Nic

Strata Poster
I've just stuck a potato in the microwave, and it got me thinking. Whilst I could survive not having one, I would be lost without it. I don't use it all the time, but it is very handy for certain things, like defrosting stuff and re-heating leftovers/ready meals. On the other hand, I know that some people have a massive vendetta against them.

Where do you stand on the matter? What do you cook in yours?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I use mine all the time. I usually buy the lazy rice and it's handy for reheating meals.

Yeah, I love my microwave.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ours broke when my parents were on holiday recently and we had to go get another because we use it so much. Microwaves <3

Dave

CF Legend
Yes! I mean I can't cook rice without my trusty microwavable steamer, makes it so good;

41eb1qTGMaL._SX280_SY304_SH35_.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting fact. Once when Ian from CoasterForce was visiting the family_Furie, Minor_Furie blew up our microwave. Ian from CoasterForce was greeted by me suddenly running into the kitchen where the microwave was exploding :lol:

I rely on ours loads for cooking for the family, but on my own, I don't think I'd really use one except for Rustlers Rib Steak things. I tend to prefer properly cooked stuff - though I suspect I'm forgetting how much microwaved **** I ate as a bachelor ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I only use the one at home for popcorn.

I use the one at work quite a lot though. I used to always buy sandwiches/salads for lunch, but started getting sick of going to the shop everyday on the way to work as they don't really keep. Now I just stock up on ready meals on Monday morning and load the staffroom fridge up for the week.

Nic said:
I've just stuck a potato in the microwave

Peasant.

Microwaved "baked" potatoes are groTESQUE.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
For actual food prep, I don't use mine that much. But for thawing frozen items or reheating refrigerated food, it's perfect and I don't know what I'd do without it.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
Interesting fact. Once when Ian from CoasterForce was visiting the family_Furie, Minor_Furie blew up our microwave. Ian from CoasterForce was greeted by me suddenly running into the kitchen where the microwave was exploding :lol:
Ah yes, then we spent the evening sticking matchsticks up the arses of several rubber ducks before attaching them to a cardboard bath tub.

You can't make this **** up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
Peasant.

Microwaved "baked" potatoes are groTESQUE.

I do the microwave first to get them mostly cooked, then drop them into the oven for half an hour to give them the baked taste. Works pretty well and is considerably quicker.
Ian said:
furie said:
Ah yes, then we spent the evening sticking matchsticks up the arses of several rubber ducks before attaching them to a cardboard bath tub.

You can't make this **** up.

I wish I could, I could make a fortune writing the world's most interesting and bizarre novels :lol:

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I only use the microwave when im in a rush or if i've got home late and want something to eat straight away.

I could definitely live without one, although it would be a bit of a pain.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Living on my own, it comes in handy for heating up frozen stuff I've cooked in the past, like chilli, bolognese, curries etc. If I cook such a thing, I often end up with five or six portions which just get frozen, then you just need to cook up some rice/pasta/whatever fresh and microwave the other bit. With that sort of thing it barely affects the taste.

Gavin's right, jacket potatoes done in the microwave are awful, and even the "finish them off in the oven" argument doesn't cut it with me either.

One of the Jamie Oliver xx-minute-meals tricks to do sweet potato in the microwave actually works ok, as long as you load it up with a billion other flavours. The sea-bass on chilli-mango sweet potato is rather nice.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
As a student, it's handy - I buy a few ready meals every now and again and always have portions of food I cooked frozen needing reheating after I've left them to defrost. But when I think about it, I could just use my oven to do almost everything I use the microwave for. Heck, it might take a gazillion times longer, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
ciallkennett said:
As a student, it's handy - I buy a few ready meals every now and again and always have portions of food I cooked frozen needing reheating after I've left them to defrost.

^This.

I probably use my family's microwave the most :p

tomahawk

Strata Poster
People refuse to use microwaves?

It's almost a necessity, because if I don't have popcorn, I die. Also turning on the oven and waiting to cook something that takes 60 seconds in the microwave takes too long. I'll sacrifice flavor for convenience any day.

Did just get a legit popcorn maker though, the kind that uses oil, not the **** air poppers. Can't wait to try it out.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I always use a pan on the cooker to make popcorn. The pan was a glass lid so the entire family gathers round to the excitement of watching it pop from an aerial view.

Nobody can say life is dull in the home of the family_furie ;)

The best bit is that you can add your flavouring into the pan so that it gets trapped in the inner folds of the popped corn. It's fantastic and you can't do that in a microwave :p

bmac

Giga Poster
furie said:
The best bit is that you can add your flavouring into the pan so that it gets trapped in the inner folds of the popped corn. It's fantastic and you can't do that in a microwave :p

So I'm not the only one that does this, here I thought I was an insane cook.

I really only use the microwave for food that can easily be cooked in 15-30 seconds, and to soften up bread a little when I'm making sandwiches or other meals. I prefer cooking full out meals via the pot and pan method but I've also had my fair share of dinners and lunches cooked via microwave.

I'm actually crazy enough to reheat my pizza in a pan instead of tossing it in the microwave, since for some reason the cheese and the bread get an odd taste to it that I really don't like.