What's new

Mexico PTR - Part 6: Bosque Magico and Monterrey

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
As promised in that rapturously-received last report, here’s the Mexico section of my summer trip.

I had an evening flight from San Antonio to Mexico City, arriving quite late at night. At that time of night, with few people around, I was worried that I might have been in a slightly sketchy area, but it really wasn’t at all. It turned out to be perfect really. An Uber in the morning got me to my first Mexican park.

Six Flags Mexico

Z9itMSv.jpg

84s6jYC.jpg

L0fGqSs.jpg

I resisted heading straight to the RMC, and went the other way around the park, hitting Superman first. From this vantage point, you see nothing of it, but there’ll be more pictures later. It was a walk-on at this point, so straight to the back row.

a2oBa1P.jpg

This was the last Morgan hyper I needed to complete the collection (note to self: dig out that “complete set” bragging topic), and, taking Steel Dragon 2000 out of the equation, was by far the best. I absolutely loved it. It’s forceful, has loads of airtime and isn’t anywhere near as formulaic in layout as the others.

I did a quick second go and moved on, picking up a Fastpass from the exit shop. The fastpasses here were cheap as s**t, and could be picked up all over the park. They’re hardly high-tech though:

CEzuMd8.jpg

There’s a 4-ride or 10-ride option, and a ride op just scribbles over a box when you use it. Almost nobody had them, so it meant walk-on for everything though not all rides use it. There seemed to also be a VIP wristband system, which I missed until much later, which seemed to allow people onto literally all rides by using the exit ramps.

Keeping going then:

wNPvMGw.jpg

7AUsUGh.jpg

SeRgmg4.jpg

1H2MHEF.jpg

I didn’t bother wasting a fastpass for the Boomerang since there was only a one-train wait. Depending on how you classify it, either this one or the one at Bellewaerde is the world’s first/oldest boomerang. This one was built first, but Bellewaerde’s actually opened first.

lUBCaRz.jpg

PMmVPMS.jpg

Wonder Woman wasn’t on the fastpass, so I ended up waiting about 20-minutes, which was fine as it was really the only wait I had all day.

ssg1uAs.jpg

Batman here is a Vekoma SLC. Ugh.

bsmlocE.jpg

dHilwvZ.jpg

JGz1MWs.jpg

YNd3dnj.jpg

While I remember, I’ll have a bit of a moan. There was a strict no-bag policy on everything here (even including Justice League – WTF?), but there wasn’t an all-day locker option. Plus, single use lockers only lasted an hour rather than the 2 hours in the US parks, and for the same price (around $1), so there was more pissing about and it worked out to be more expensive. They were the exact same lockers/screens/system that the US parks have, so no excuse really. It was more an inconvenience than a difficulty, but stupid that it worked out to be twice as expensive as the US parks’ single-use lockers when you consider how ridiculously cheap everything else was here.

You get a better view of bits of Superman from around Batman and Justice League, but most of the layout is still pretty hidden away.

bknRcnA.jpg

7IEVOJ6.jpg

k3BcylY.jpg

kC7uViz.jpg

g8k9ioO.jpg

Kiddy coaster and spinner. The kiddy was walk-on, but the spinner had a queue of what looked like at least half an hour, so this is where the fastpass really came into its own.

rRpdBUh.jpg

mEZJOxR.jpg

hs3aTGs.jpg

It was the same deal with the roller skater (quiet) and Dark Knight (busy).

NajPNvS.jpg

XsTeC2O.jpg

The Serpentarium was a weird attraction for a Six Flags park. It was a bit crap really, with nothing in it that you couldn’t buy from a decent pet shop.

3dzZdcB.jpg

WWOR5XY.jpg

4fVZLXn.jpg

I’d ridden Medusa before some of the stuff just posted, but didn’t take pictures until a bit later. It had a consistent, though not huge, queue, so I used a bunch of my fastpass boxes for it. You can see almost nothing of it until you’re in the queue. After a couple of rides, I was confident to take my camera through the queue line (bags locked away remember) and shove it in a pocket during the ride.

oHoXKUs.jpg

z5S8O0h.jpg

vSOWX0B.jpg

eVeoqxe.jpg

This was the RMC – until Steel Vengeance came along – that I’d always thought looked the most interesting, and it doesn’t disappoint. It’s not my favourite RMC, but it’s a relentless ride which borders on vicious at times. My biggest gripe is that I’d personally prefer a “proper” first drop over that twisted barrel rolw thing, which looks amazing but isn’t, for me, an exciting start to the ride.

ANhFZcG.jpg

TQFyZNF.jpg

Ir7E0Xr.jpg

nBScDw0.jpg

1sXOyQp.jpg

pCOLNXt.jpg

rQCFAZn.jpg

I spent my last hour or so using up my fastpasses between Medusa and Superman, probab;y heading out of there around 3pm, but I can’t remember exactly now.

I really liked this place. Apart from a few copy/paste attractions, it feels very different from the American Six Flags parks. Obviously, there’s a completely different customer base and language, which is a big part of that, but it’s also down to the buildings and slightly quirkier attractions.

Medusa was excellent, but almost predictably so. The surprise for me was Superman. Not only is it by far the best Morgan hyper, I’d say it was up there with my favourite hypers from any manufacturer.

There's loads more to this report, but, as far as parks go, that's the highlight, so feel free to sack it off now.

There was a new coaster nearby which was, supposedly, newly opened, so I took a detour there before heading back to the hotel.

Kataplum

This is a new park on the roof of a new shopping mall.

JCphQoD.jpg

6mBq9Cc.jpg

For some reason, the lifts weren’t letting me get up to the top level. Turns out that the top level is purely for the park, and it wasn’t open yet. UGH!

The worst thing was, there wasn’t just the one coaster up there. The Vekoma SFC was listed, but there was also a spinner up there and a train thing which could possibly be a cred. You could see up from the level below.

h5JEN1Z.jpg

ABImN5J.jpg

JqDBfaR.jpg

s9AhjU4.jpg

LcoGr6y.jpg

YuMMmiz.jpg

2HDmyPs.jpg

CA9ZLng.jpg

They even had a couple of staffed ticket booths, but unfortunately they had “no idea” when the place was going to open.

IJiZ8h6.jpg

Missing a +1 is annoying, but the potential +3 was so much worse. I thought I’d cheer myself up by buying a bunch of sh**ty snacks and drinks from Walmart to stock the hotel room with, but that wasn’t ready either, the f**kers.

FV1G2sA.jpg

So, back to the hotel it was.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
when you consider how ridiculously cheap everything else was here
My cunning plan last year was to buy an annual Gold Pass in Mexico then fly up to Los Angeles to hit Magic Mountain and Discovery Kingdom. It was less than thirty quid.

I only managed four rides on Medusa though, as they'd made the ridiculous decision to put VR on it and fast passes weren't valid. I mean - VR on a three year old RMC? What were they thinking?!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, I'd forgotten that VR happened on Medusa. Luckily, there was no sign of it and fastpasses were completely fine. Also, apparently it had been down to five-car trains for a while, which I hadn't known, but it's using the full six again now.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I’ve been looking at Mexico City as a potential weekend trip lately for a few reasons including Medusa and this makes me want to go even more now! Great report as always, SFMex looks really nice the way you’ve portrayed it. Shame about Walmart though, I’d blame it on the fact that their employees are such idiots. ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'd definitely recommend Mexico City. Wonderful place. I'd try for more than a weekend if possible, though you could get a fair bit done if that's all you could manage.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's amazing how much they've added to the park since they got past all the issues they had with building Superman. I thought that Batman and Boomerang were two of the better SLCs and boomerangs out there... although that was 10 years ago. How do they hold up now?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's amazing how much they've added to the park since they got past all the issues they had with building Superman. I thought that Batman and Boomerang were two of the better SLCs and boomerangs out there... although that was 10 years ago. How do they hold up now?
The boomerang was fine considering its age; I've definitely done worse ones and I was even stuck with the back row, which I try to avoid.

I barely remember Batman, which is probably the best to hope for with SLCs.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Next day then. I was tempted to have a culture day and hold off on creds since I had a few days in Mexico City, but the creds prevailed. My hotel was walking distance to one end of Chapultepec Park (near the castle), so I was tempted to start there, do some general sightseeing stuff, and work across to the creds, but ended up just getting a taxi straight to La Feria.

La Feria de Chapultepec

It was definitely the best idea to get here early. I got my wristband straight away (would be cheaper to pay separately if you just wanted to hit ‘n’ run the coasters), but was hanging around a bit for rides to start opening.

The first thing you see from outside the park is this:

NNWNHrs.jpg

Kd1BY7b.jpg

bdPLITL.jpg

Magnum Force!!!!!

I used to absolutely LOVE this thing. It was built while I was working at Flamingoland, so was the first coaster I’d (kind of) followed the construction of though this was all very much in my “pre-enthusiast” days. I used to ride it loads though, often popping down in the mornings for a couple of goes before my job started, which was technically not allowed, but nobody was bothered.

I noticed that there was scaffolding on it though, which can be seen in the pictures, so ugh.

The woodie wasn’t yet open.

ZqxSCiz.jpg

FiMTSPZ.jpg

oP1MjTe.jpg

TxldUNT.jpg

dlNlRaV.jpg

The first thing I saw testing was Cascobel 2.0, the Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, so I was on the first train of the day for that.

gZaoJV2.jpg

zrQgvld.jpg

uMUdoY2.jpg

I like these, so I don’t know why this one just didn’t really connect with me. I doubt it’s any different from any others, but I was a bit underwhelmed by it. Ok, so not underwhelmed exactly since I knew what to expect and it was never going to be amazing, so I guess I was just very much whelmed.

From other angles, it was clear that the scaffolding on Quimera (Magnum Force), was actually not that close to the tracks, which I took to be a good sign. It seemed like it was there to hold up advertising or something.

JobloRX.jpg

I hadn’t done one of these simulators for years – I think I’ve done 3 in the past – but they need to be done because they’re just soooooooooooo f**kin’ s**t!

uMmdSFu.jpg

mvcMIFA.jpg

SaIhhPc.jpg

Just going to throw a few pictures in which I must’ve taken on the way to pick up the Reverchon. Ugh.

1MAE1eU.jpg

s2n06Nt.jpg

XMEL3rL.jpg

X3GgA6Y.jpg

yeyAnXr.jpg

BMnaeA2.jpg

T4vyC3O.jpg

7ExAVda.jpg

TCnsbfm.jpg

The woodie was open by then and was already building up a bit of a queue, which was strange to see when everything else was walk-on.

NSw1FzR.jpg

1ufGWFS.jpg

yUxd7j2.jpg

It’s a Mobius coaster (note to self: check if you’ve got the set and brag later), but they were running it with one train, so there was no racing aspect. A ride op inside the station would count people in to whichever side the train was due to arrive back to.

I went for back row both times. The queue was up to about half an hour when I went for the immediate second lap, making sure at the top that I was sent to the side I needed. The ride op was good with this and didn’t question it at all when I asked to hold back a bit; they must be used to it.

It’s a pretty brutal ride, but there’s some amazing airtime on there, and it has those buzzbar things which don’t touch you until you’re flying into them. Also, “keep your bag, Sir”, which would have gone flying if I hadn’t had the strap wound tightly around my wrist. Great stuff.

Photo dump:

D9gI1be.jpg

iPBg3xy.jpg

6Q4p9R7.jpg

xKOTwCB.jpg

OcJzF0X.jpg

IyUm6RO.jpg

fHDQr6w.jpg

CUal1Yg.jpg

SesLWbw.jpg

UJEaRbX.jpg

4zJfhFC.jpg

MIva7Wg.jpg

wj3pwIF.jpg

YgZgfvn.jpg

Im2uwZy.jpg

And, by now, Quimera was testing. Fabulous. I was convinced it was down. It was walk-on again though. To be fair, the entrance was a bit of a pain to find and a lot of people who were planning to ride it would have been in a pretty long queue for the woodie at that point.

3tyMTMd.jpg

oVS6ZGM.jpg

A4RlDwR.jpg

Egb587T.jpg

InQggSi.jpg

I was a bit worried about this one since I used to rate it so highly and have been quite disappointed with a lot of Schwarzkops I’ve done since. I figured I was probably remembering it as being better than it was. Nope! It was amazing. If anything, the airtime was stronger than I remembered it, and the loops were just as forceful. It’s a LOT rougher than it used to be though; it really slams you to the side at the bottom of each drop. I don't remember it having those huge headrests, and it used to have these canvas, 3-point harness things which have been replaced with something similar, but much more heavily padded. They’re a total faff and not really necessary. On my first ride, one shoulder was out of it after the first drop, and on my second, the whole thing came open completely. I didn’t notice that until I went to undo it in the station, and, obviously, it’s the lapbars doing the work, but I still found that a bit unnerving.

tDwB4eD.jpg

imJslmb.jpg

Pko2Ipn.jpg

iedOwXr.jpg

P4GuTqr.jpg

SJaYKLw.jpg

The queue at the ticket booths was pretty extensive by the time I got out, so I’d definitely made the right decision to get there early.

Pp4f7H1.jpg

I liked this place a lot, especially for a city park. It’s quirky, with a fun atmosphere and a few decent rides. Operations are pretty poor though. It wasn’t an issue for me since I was there early, but train loading, checking etc. was really slow – I was sitting on the shuttle loop for a good ten minutes before they even bothered checking restraints etc. - and one-train operations on a racer is just daft. Having said that, it seemed that a lot of people prefer a pay-per-ride model over the wristbands, and the woodie seemed to have somewhat of a cult following, being FAR more popular than anything else there.

I decided to leave the rest of the stuff in Chapultepec Park until another day. The whole complex is enormous, with La Feria only taking up a very small part of it. There was some cultural stuff I wanted to do, with a cred on the way, so that seemed like a good idea.

Parque Francisco Villa

It has the above name on RCDB, but if you’re looking on maps it just comes under Parque de los Venados. It’s just a small city park with some rides in a corner, very much like what I’m used to seeing in China.

mJoAKMK.jpg

HEk0bqB.jpg

Ecui0ov.jpg

l2QQn0E.jpg

zClagz0.jpg

33XOD35.jpg

+1 and done then. It was close to the Frida Khalo Museum, which I kind of wanted to go to.

ltMWmgY.jpg

2ghFfQt.jpg

Nope, not waiting in that. I should have planned/booked ahead, and could have done that for another day, but I wasn’t THAT bothered about it. There’s other museums and stuff around there, and it seemed like a nice area, but I decided to cred whore some more.

Lago Mayer Alameda Oriente

Pretty out of the way from where I was, being up nearer the airport, but I thought I’d just get it knocked off. The creds here are shameful. Proper cred-whore stuff. I was both mortified and extremely proud of myself.

skVgYNb.jpg

hg0CwJa.jpg

iFS73A7.jpg

I mean, really? I could barely bring myself to do this one, but it's listed everywhere, so...

0rrdEsf.jpg

PANL8Lq.jpg

JFsk3Ed.jpg

I was still good for time, so headed to the old city area around the cathedral since I’d really seen nothing of Mexico City up to this point. This wasn’t far from the area I was staying either, so it made sense.

You can still see parts of the ruins of the old Aztec city, Tenochtitlan, that used to be here. Apparently, the “new” cathedral was built by the Spanish using stone from the old temple they smashed down.

8vYkw0s.jpg

i4a0tes.jpg

1mCTPMA.jpg

2x81EdA.jpg

hA08wwy.jpg

sjyIhtp.jpg

gnMjWqN.jpg

chAYXiU.jpg

YTWEf37.jpg

ReOiOfP.jpg

8o4aRSL.jpg

WtinGnt.jpg

FZjnkKA.jpg

MeYahKa.jpg

K1JpZAh.jpg

Jesus coin press!

j3YarA6.jpg

XJWAKNZ.jpg

I ended up walking the “wrong” way down some pedestrianised side street, away from the area where I was staying, but it looked quite cool and the atmosphere down there was fab. I ended up near some metro station so just used that to get back to my hotel.

dQwvFGM.jpg

YVr2jfa.jpg

N6Mf2h2.jpg

ViXmuiq.jpg

ygz1837.jpg

qMxiRzp.jpg

qMRf3HA.jpg

9SuWimF.jpg

The next two days are boring old culture s**t, with nary a Big Apple to be found, so you might want to come back later.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jesus. ****ing. Christ. Good work on that, that's got to be one of the best ones in your collection. :p

Looks like a pretty awesome day really, plenty of big coasters, small coasters and adventuring around. Quite like the look of those streets too, I'm assuming the atmosphere (for whatever that means) was pretty good. Looks quite busy - was it mostly domestic tourists?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, the atmosphere was great. Lots of hustle and bustle without the complete lack of manners and spacial awareness I'm used to.

And yes, very much domestic tourists, which was true of other touristy areas later as well. This was fab actually. Everything is very well set up for tourism, but there were very, very few obnoxious Europeans or Americans and during my whole time there, not a single Chinese tour group. Wonderful.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Forgot there was an 'almost Olympia Looping' in the world.
Are there any of those with more than one loop and just lap bars, or do they always find a way to bodge something else on?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Forgot there was an 'almost Olympia Looping' in the world.
Are there any of those with more than one loop and just lap bars, or do they always find a way to bodge something else on?
Testrekke. Two loops and just lap bars. It's crap though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The next Mexico City day wasn’t spent in Mexico City. Instead, I headed out to Teotihuacan, some old site with pyramids and stuff.

This had always been on the cards, and I’d planned to do it by bus, but an old friend of mine had recently moved to Mexico City (after I’d planned this trip, so that was good timing) since his wife is from there. He hadn’t been to Teotihuacan yet, so we went out together, using his wife’s family’s car and driver (he’s quite clearly married into a cartel), so that was better than slumming it with buses.

It meant going slightly later than I’d planned due to my friend working in the morning, but it was still fine and it meant I could have a bit of a lie in for once. It was fairly busy, but not to the point of spoiling it. It’s about an hour’s drive each way, so very doable as an easy day trip from Mexico City.

I’ll just throw a bunch of pictures in. If anyone’s bothered enough, they can Google the place themselves. It’s a pretty big site, with two main pyramids and a bunch of smaller stuff. Pyramid of the Sun is the biggest, and you can climb right to the top. Pyramid of the Moon is the “smaller” one, which you can only climb about halfway up. The views from there are still great though.

DLn05Fp.jpg

KuPsF3t.jpg

ashNsCc.jpg

o5Hpu6t.jpg

aBYfwN1.jpg

TAhqP9j.jpg

AhBnH9J.jpg

jxTFCiC.jpg

N3V2kED.jpg

14leDgT.jpg

6PQoAUa.jpg

ouDjpaj.jpg

XkecrCF.jpg

HnGiC2o.jpg

URKoCuj.jpg

vuezpdj.jpg

hGyWh4o.jpg

8Ff5Mkw.jpg

AQQU5Y5.jpg

4hKbLT6.jpg

8BLansx.jpg

n5EmARh.jpg

So yeah, Teotihuacan is definitely worth the trip.

From there, we headed back into the city and got the driver to drop us off in some quite fancy area not too far from my hotel and went for dinner/drinks and that was it. It was probably one of the fanciest places I’ve ever eaten at, with amazing service and stunning food, and it cost a lot less than I’d usually pay in a very mediocre place back here.

The next day was my last day in Mexico City. Again, I had a late evening flight, which gave me the whole day to try and cram as much in as possible. My hotel was only a 5-minute walk to the independence monument, which I hadn’t yet seen, which was itself on the way to Chapultepec Park.

vLQUeJ8.jpg

wpo7hca.jpg

83doPJY.jpg

cfx0jgj.jpg

oX5lLcO.jpg

krrATwE.jpg

7zOVmR5.jpg

kWP7ciF.jpg

kWDUeuC.jpg

zLUuE09.jpg

Dgo7oCH.jpg

1R7YHIG.jpg

Just inside the park is a modern art museum, which wasn’t on the cards, but it was just opening and was right there.

g3d7mPL.jpg

o1MxaUj.jpg

EcTsgXf.jpg

PQEzq8m.jpg

From there it was further into the park and up the hill to Chapultepec Castle, with some views back down to the creds from earlier in the trip.

sJm5aUl.jpg

xvCoB02.jpg

45jKrHv.jpg

1OgLz7L.jpg

GkeNIIB.jpg

The castle itself was decent, being mostly a museum but with good views back down over the city.

4fIpNYC.jpg

myUmGvx.jpg

xbckZe5.jpg

15Y7DTG.jpg

B4m17Tc.jpg

zohDbRd.jpg

eCiVHnM.jpg

lt0mqSs.jpg

UmV31MZ.jpg

F7EFpyp.jpg

twVEzRq.jpg

zLBSSt5.jpg

gYnPJAa.jpg

HcnXWP8.jpg

TBhkyB5.jpg

Loadsa murals. The Mexicans f**king love ‘em.

O5dkkmD.jpg

vHN9dfa.jpg

DDvX3GE.jpg

sTcKtmq.jpg

lU6NfIk.jpg

After spending a couple of hours up there, I wandered back down and further through the park to National Anthropology Museum, which was excellent. Because of time, I only covered one floor of the two (it’s pretty huge) and felt a bit rushed, but still got to see a lot. It’s organised by cultural group/location, with the Aztec Hall at one end, containing the famous Aztec Calendar Stone, being the highlight.

ZDj69N7.jpg

Wz8JXIp.jpg

RHudTWl.jpg

27p5O2O.jpg

cYArylP.jpg

b9IZKgE.jpg

BWcukVV.jpg

43eSdQn.jpg

jnEOeKA.jpg

M8xTohU.jpg

OKixNFE.jpg

0ZvwJzA.jpg

Eg2BVtR.jpg

zT1QO50.jpg

7FUIvJh.jpg

N2YFePX.jpg

gafdpNK.jpg

These three statues are three of the best things ever. So fab.

zDCUWuX.jpg

me9RoYU.jpg

0cYgjK2.jpg

Some nice area around some theatre/arts centre and the inside of a slightly over-the-top post office:

qTLS5wU.jpg

BBYFnLx.jpg

0zomQUw.jpg

XgT7oH4.jpg

G1N5kmu.jpg

gdOOTSV.jpg

XPUc5sM.jpg

And by that point it was time to head back to the hotel to pick up my s**t, and then head to the airport for the next part of the trip.

I LOVED Mexico City. I had pretty much no expectations of it, slightly buying into the bulls**t "it's so dangerous" narrative, but it was lovely. I really could have done with an extra couple of days since there’s stuff I wanted to do and didn’t have time for, and other stuff that I felt I rushed a bit.

Creds next.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Excellent. The views from the pyramids look great. I particularly like the 'anthill' type shots of the main one, with the little [big] line of people walking up.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’m a bit late getting this up, but we’ve had a bit of bad weather here, so haven’t been in work since before the weekend. I’m not about to start writing these on my own time.

I think I mentioned in the last part that I’d had an evening flight to Guadalajara? As with every other part of this trip, I woke up and prioritised the creds.

Selva Magica

This place seemed to be quite busy as I was arriving, but it shares its car park, bus stops etc. with the Guadalajara Zoo, which most people were going for. As with La Feria de Chapultepec, there was a familiar sight greeting me at the entrance.

5dPnFH3.jpg

Vw7ESaG.jpg

12k0Xr6.jpg

Not open though.

The coasters here are all together in the same area. The park is really small anyway. The first coaster that I did was this Pinfari thing:

btmfpx4.jpg

90nJqbg.jpg

AcfTD4e.jpg

NBa6ALo.jpg

This was right next to one of these Schwarzkopf things, the same model as New Beast that used to be at Alton Towers. It was also not open yet.

kv7uMOT.jpg

k9VJXKE.jpg

The Zierer thing was open:

ksp2jCB.jpg

VwBTHmS.jpg

As was this weird Japanese thing. It’s a basic out-and-back layout with a bunch of hills, but weirdly has a massive straight bit right at the end. There was also a VR option.

VVAazMm.jpg

hNApXKM.jpg

xBziGLF.jpg

cFJdjbl.jpg

DC3FI8U.jpg

0OtV9mZ.jpg

AvcceCC.jpg

AFDph6t.jpg

mDWZM0G.jpg

CVV9eYA.jpg

I’ll quickly talk about the ticketing here. There were (I think) three levels of ticket available, which allowed access to different rides. For example, the second highest level of ticket allowed for everything except Bullet, so if you wanted to ride that, you had to buy the top-tier VIP ticket. This VIP ticket, however, also included the VR option on the above coaster (otherwise an upcharge) a meal voucher, and queue jumping on literally everything, so turned out to be pretty good value.

As it turns out, you can just buy a basic entrance ticket and pay for individual rides, so if you just wanted to grab the creds, that would be the cheaper option.

Some general pictures coming up. The park is pretty much split into two main sections. To the left of the entrance are the coasters and bigger flat rides, while to the right is a Sesame Street kiddy area.

vvjhxcH.jpg

UioZ636.jpg

6bVFkb3.jpg

SaZKvcl.jpg

fS2kUIC.jpg

jA7llLi.jpg

NYX9DmU.jpg

SGoa5hn.jpg

jnKpGlH.jpg

The VR on Titan wasn’t bad really. I haven’t done a lot of VR on coasters, and it was still definitely better without, but it was fine. I liked this coaster. Most Japanese “Jet Coaster” types of ride are crap and don’t have a jot of airtime, but this one actually did.

OWqWdO8.jpg

pxH1HVN.jpg

uHbqbXm.jpg

DQSbcOO.jpg

Tornado had opened by this point. This coaster type is a prime example of nostalgia clouding judgment. A lot of people still rave about Alton’s Black Hole and Beast, but riding the same thing now shows them as very mediocre rides. What I really liked about this one though is that, like Alton’s Beast, it ran without any restraints at all.

tq7sq2u.jpg

HfPJl67.jpg

tRW2H7e.jpg

bwSdSVQ.jpg

PbZ6sSf.jpg

6Ynw0gs.jpg

I was done quite early, given that Bullet wasn’t doing anything, but stuck around for a bit, getting some rerides in and doing some flat rides that I’d usually skip. I got a gross burger and cold fries using my meal voucher and parked myself in view of Bullet and, unknowingly, on the route of some tiny parade.

krqnWUE.jpg

ig7zY0u.jpg

And then testing!

Vo9k5ci.jpg

BCWOkET.jpg

xDQkQIG.jpg

They were following Flamingoland’s old system of not bothering to run it until the afternoon.

2AoQzEH.jpg

EsyGuwv.jpg

2Wjao8C.jpg

n528Ejf.jpg

This is another coaster that I used to really like and was expecting to be disappointed by, but, again, it still really holds up. It’s definitely seen better days though. It didn’t seem like anything had been done to it since it left Flamingoland other than a paint job. The train, especially, seemed to be in a bit of a state. It has those awful concertina shoulder things, not to hold you in, but to prevent arms going outside the car. The problem with them is that they tighten and really bloody hurt. I remembered this though, and rode while pushing up on it with both hands, which stopped the problem.

KoFw5Ur.jpg

YlStZ2L.jpg

V28rXL7.jpg

QtvyY0t.jpg

pKabTfB.jpg

27i7PmD.jpg

RyVd8Uh.jpg

Overall, this was a cute little park with a decent enough selection of classic (old) rides. It was all presented very well and had a nice atmosphere, though there’s no need to get there too early if you plan on riding Bullet.

I cred whored on the way back into town, picking up 3 pieces of crap which all looked like this one:

ZAzmNN5.jpg

akhkufm.jpg

The final place was close to the hotel, which itself was brilliantly located right in the middle of everything, so I ended there and walked back. I was promised another kiddy “Feliz Dragon” but it’s gone. Bastards.

mLdzJ37.jpg

It was still relatively early at this point, and it stayed light really late, so I had a walk back to and around the old city centre. As I said, my hotel was right there, so couldn’t be better really. There’s a lot of construction around though (for some Metro system I think), so one of the main squares was a complete mess. There was some free music festival thing in another of the main squares. The whole area is really nice.

DE0VzPz.jpg

nm3mMM1.jpg

kobWV8I.jpg

wGnQarT.jpg

55VkOYo.jpg

GtjMVOG.jpg

iaYap7l.jpg

xGDkXCh.jpg

MTVk3NZ.jpg

28zuolZ.jpg

vZ0tBVS.jpg

EsovDQU.jpg

m3wltQw.jpg

Vtmmnl2.jpg

t4Ii2Tp.jpg

4DhYXTo.jpg

Lg1DQbx.jpg

Yvdjenv.jpg

EnOEKgi.jpg

XY71muO.jpg

I6EOTxC.jpg

gVPQyqV.jpg

0dpDqrt.jpg

C1xci6a.jpg

aeEj32q.jpg

yaKGE9N.jpg

e2RAVvO.jpg

15h1Zyx.jpg

PxFbsop.jpg

Thus concludes Day 1 in Guadalajara.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Good to see you got reacquainted with the other old Flamingoland friend.
Looks like I need to add Titan to my list for the obscure jet coaster collection.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Titan looked pretty familiar from your photos. After a bit of digging, I was reminded that it used to be located at Boblo Island amusement park just south of Detroit! The park closed in 1993, three of the four coasters we're relocated, and surprisingly are all still operating. I didn't realize this one got relocated to Selva Mágica.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Here’s a quick culture bit.

I had most of the next day free and contemplated heading out of the city centre to some other touristy areas, but decided I couldn’t be arsed, so slept in a bit and stayed more central.

I just wandered around the main old town area a bit. It’s lovely and all pretty compact.

bZozKpu.jpg

R3Z4n1r.jpg

vwpti0B.jpg

ygZHCQq.jpg

kj1Fu7Y.jpg

4Y2S67z.jpg

1nkzuTT.jpg

HWphr0b.jpg

gzFiz9Z.jpg

0krdnTG.jpg

sMTuN1I.jpg

Some cosplayers/desperate attention seekers.

ihnzcx0.jpg

There was a small museum which didn’t have much of interest to be honest, but it was free and there was some dance thing going on, so +1 to the culch.

jPIKC2X.jpg

ejLNI4k.jpg

9EdLPpt.jpg

hgdaJhM.jpg

GHsF7T9.jpg

Of0Cd9c.jpg

KtaK5TY.jpg

cfNLoFB.jpg

And then some more wandering down towards some other museum/arts centre.

JnS98IG.jpg

e6CUnqn.jpg

NmNVyiI.jpg

KBcqpmn.jpg

Xvrz1cW.jpg

pa6l7aP.jpg

AMqCDRt.jpg

8Nkb7rw.jpg

This place is visited mostly for the Orozco murals. Seriously the Mexicans can’t get enough murals.

8Nkb7rw.jpg

cAhbbyh.jpg

9GlXv0J.jpg

1JEYnIg.jpg

0UQB89h.jpg

x2iGiM6.jpg

yZ43x0J.jpg

Mariachi Plaza was distinctly lacking in Mariachis at that time of day.

RI4r9rX.jpg

c5fJLxl.jpg

I think I killed a couple of hours in a cultural Mexican Starbucks before heading out to the airport for the final city of the trip.