What's new

Merlin pass question

Burtonboo

Roller Poster
Thinking of buying a Merlin annual pass. Now living in Lincolnshire so each trip will require a reasonable drive. Can anyone tell me how the pre booking works in practice. Can you book for the next day if the opportunity crops up. How frequently do you find that all pass holders tickets have gone. Can you book several trips in advance ? Will be using during off peak hours rather than weekends. Years ago we used to pop along to Thorpe park for 2 or 3 hours every weekend !

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thinking of buying a Merlin annual pass. Now living in Lincolnshire so each trip will require a reasonable drive. Can anyone tell me how the pre booking works in practice. Can you book for the next day if the opportunity crops up. How frequently do you find that all pass holders tickets have gone. Can you book several trips in advance ? Will be using during off peak hours rather than weekends. Years ago we used to pop along to Thorpe park for 2 or 3 hours every weekend !
Firstly, let me just say, for Alton Towers, I haven't had a pre book checked for 2 years... I've also visited several times without one.

That out of the way, when I have prebooked, for 'normal' days, I have done it late many times, including the day before and even on the day. For high demand days, I do it well in advance though. So for Fireworks, and opening day, I'd book as early as possible.

In regards to booking late, I have a platinum pass, which has a lot more availability than the other passes, it basically means if the park isn't at capacity, we can book on the day. The other passes, I believe, have fewer slots available, or at least they used to.

I can't speak for Thorpe Park, I've always booked a week or so ahead, because it's a 2 hour drive. (Though I can't remember that prebook ever being checked, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.)

Burtonboo

Roller Poster
Firstly, let me just say, for Alton Towers, I haven't had a pre book checked for 2 years... I've also visited several times without one.

That out of the way, when I have prebooked, for 'normal' days, I have done it late many times, including the day before and even on the day. For high demand days, I do it well in advance though. So for Fireworks, and opening day, I'd book as early as possible.

In regards to booking late, I have a platinum pass, which has a lot more availability than the other passes, it basically means if the park isn't at capacity, we can book on the day. The other passes, I believe, have fewer slots available, or at least they used to.

I can't speak for Thorpe Park, I've always booked a week or so ahead, because it's a 2 hour drive. (Though I can't remember that prebook ever being checked, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.)
Many thanks.

TjChapperz

Mega Poster

Just to add to this to avoid confusion for others.

Pre books now and have been since I believe around September last year linked directly to your pass, A member of staff showed me on their device at Chessington that a pre book had been made and it was linked to the pass number. So you don't have to show the actual pre book anymore.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just to add to this to avoid confusion for others.

Pre books now and have been since I believe around September last year linked directly to your pass, A member of staff showed me on their device at Chessington that a pre book had been made and it was linked to the pass number. So you don't have to show the actual pre book anymore.
They've been saying that since 2020 by the way, it's not new. Doesn't work at Towers, or at least didn't up to the end of last season, I did Scarefest days without Pre books, and the missus did Alton Towers Fireworks without one... (For the missus I had a prebook in my emails ready to show if asked, but it was linked to mine and my sons card, not hers... We weren't asked, and she got straight through the automated gates.)

I can't speak for Chessington and Legoland, and I wouldn't risk it either, as these are the only places I've actually had to show a pre book since 2020.

If I lived closer to Thorpe I'd try it out, as I'm sure they're set up like Towers, not been checked there since 2020, they're too busy checking our bags for knives and alcohol. But alas, it's a 2 hour drive, so unless I get a prebook using someone else's pass 'just in case' then it's not worth the risk driving that far.

Dan?

Roller Poster
I haven't had a pre book checked for 2 years...

I did Scarefest days without Pre books

I've gone to Thorpe before and not even had my tickets checked, there was even an open barrier...

HOWEVER.

PLEASE don't just turn up without booking. It's an absolute nightmare for Admissions, and the parks legally can only hold so many people. Furthermore, if the parks don't actually know how many people are present, they can't adjust staffing to maximise throughput. The pre-book system is there for a reason, it shouldn't be ignored just because you deem it unnecessary.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've gone to Thorpe before and not even had my tickets checked, there was even an open barrier...

HOWEVER.

PLEASE don't just turn up without booking. It's an absolute nightmare for Admissions, and the parks legally can only hold so many people. Furthermore, if the parks don't actually know how many people are present, they can't adjust staffing to maximise throughput. The pre-book system is there for a reason, it shouldn't be ignored just because you deem it unnecessary.

It 'shouldn't' be necessary outside of major events like Fireworks (I've always booked for fireworks to be fair, even before covid.) It's a draconian requirement only there to serve profits, and allow them to treat their staff just as Sports Direct do (as casual / zero hour workers.) How many other operators still have pre books in place? Even Disney World have scrapped their park reservations now... The day they do start actually requiring pre books on the days I usually go, quiet midweek days, is the day I, and several people I know, throw in their passes.

We never needed pre books when I worked at Towers, outside of fireworks, or summer concerts / music festivals, (wish they still did AT Live,) and it was never a nightmare then. Transport from Derby or Stoke was free on their nice staff minibuses, and if it turned out to be quiet, you were 'offered' an early finish, which was often greatfullly received, as transport was free... If you wanted the hours, and didn't want to lose pay, then you were put on other duties, like, you know, keeping the parks looking their best... How times change.

Last edited:

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I've just bought a Merlin annual pass for the first time and I too was wondering about the pre-booking system.

I went to Madame Tussauds in London last week to try it out.

I pre-booked 15 mins before arriving and got in no problem showing the booked ticket.

The pre-booking seemed totally unnecessary because the place was dead. I wondered if I would've got in by just showing the annual pass?

I'm hoping that for quiet days at theme parks, you can show up without pre-booking and just show your annual pass?

If you must pre-book, what's to stop you from booking right there and then at the park entrance on your phone?

Burtonboo

Roller Poster
Thank you all for your advice. I think I’ll get the annual pass as although we live a long way from any of the attractions, the cost savings are huge.

Dan?

Roller Poster
It's a draconian requirement only there to serve profits, and allow them to treat their staff just as Sports Direct do
Having worked in both admissions and rides last year, I can tell you free of charge that pre-booking honestly did nothing bad for staff. We were chilling at gates and it really wasn't that deep.

Just pre-book. Everyone has to either pre-book or buy a ticket on the door, there is no turn-up-and-go. You aren't an exemption, just follow the rules. It doesn't cost you any money, attractions staff genuinely appreciate the info pre-booking gives us and it allows the park to operate safely and within its legal limits.