What's new

Merlin announce no more free parking for Annual Pass holders

Nicky

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Likewise, I've not really got much interest in Thorpe or the Manchester Lego centre.

I'd definitely recommend the lego centre at Manchester if you are passing by. It's actually almost worth how much it would cost to get in.

It is nice to see more northern attractions on the pass. People want to pass to be tailored to their individual requirements. Blackpool is now the Northern version of the London attractions. Up until recently it was mainly Alton that I used my pass for but now there is a lot more flexibility.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I agree that the Blackpool additions (while they might not in themselves be anything special) is overall a very good idea. Until now there's been basically nothing north of Alton Towers bar a few Sea Life Centres. It's still not enough to make me get a pass, but it's getting more tempting the more non-London stuff they add to it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Nicky said:
It is nice to see more northern attractions on the pass. People want to pass to be tailored to their individual requirements. Blackpool is now the Northern version of the London attractions.

Yes but that means you have to visit Blackpool...?

And the attractions there aren't worth farting over. Yes the tower has the novelty aspect, but once you've been up there once, will you really be bothered again in the same year?

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Yes but that means you have to visit Blackpool...?

And the attractions there aren't worth farting over. Yes the tower has the novelty aspect, but once you've been up there once, will you really be bothered again in the same year?

Considering it is right by the pleasure beach it isn't exactly a big effort to pop over to them just for a few hours if the weather goes bad (which it does a LOT in Blackpool). It also makes it more worth my while to make the trip to Blackpool as there is more I can do for less cost.

If you say that the ones in Blackpool aren't worth farting over, you have to say exactly the same for the London attractions. It's exactly the same! Big thing with views, sealife, tussauds and dungeons but you get Jungle Jims at Blackpool,

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Plus, the Blackpool attractions aren't even open until September anyway, so judging Blackpool Tower based on what it was is a bit stupid. It will be an improvement on what was there before, plus you'll have Mme. Tussauds just up the road as well. It won't be anything special compared to the London equivalents, but it will be a massive improvement regardless.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
peep said:
I heard rumours ages ago (like, early Summer) that the grass car park may get tarmacked too which would be awesome if it happens.

Impossible.

Chessington do not own the grass carpark so not only will they not be able to tarmac it, nor will they be able to charge guests for its usage.

marc

CF Legend
Sorry but I would refuse to pay Thorpe Park to park on the gravel, simple.

I think it is wrong for them to get rid of free parking for pass holders. Yes we pay when we go to parks around the world, but if you are a pass holder at Disney, Universal or stay in their hotels parking is free.

I just do not agree with them doing this.

If they are going to charge I wish they would do this before you enter the park rather than when you leave, it just makes it so much faster to get out the parks. The average change to park at Disney was $14 (free for us), but Sea World, Universal was $14 and this stopped us visiting Universal more than twice.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
peep said:
I heard rumours ages ago (like, early Summer) that the grass car park may get tarmacked too which would be awesome if it happens.

Impossible.

Chessington do not own the grass carpark so not only will they not be able to tarmac it, nor will they be able to charge guests for its usage.
So surely this will end in people paying for car parking only to find out later it's free in the other carpark and then complain.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Standard pass holders are also going to be charged for use of toilets from next season. A barcode card and credit can be purchased upon entry. Toilets will cost 50p per admission from next season, but will remain free to Premium Pass holders.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Tom G said:
Standard pass holders are also going to be charged for use of toilets from next season. A barcode card and credit can be purchased upon entry. Toilets will cost 50p per admission from next season, but will remain free to Premium Pass holders.

You are joking right!!!!!
Because the parallels between Merlin and Ryan Air would be all too easy

jayjay

Giga Poster
Tom G said:

Sorry to be a bit suspicious, but what's your source on that?

jokerman

Giga Poster
The Merlin website has been updated with all the new 2011 prices and T&Cs.

Interestingly, the £5 Fright nights charge is included in the T&Cs this year.

jokerman

Giga Poster
No, it just said no entry to Thorpe on Fright Nights. This year they actually mention that you can get in for a fiver.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Tom G said:

Will the General Public without MAPs have to pay to go to the toilet as well?

I personnally hope not as I hardly carry any money on me (and don't want to go in the bushes in the middle of a theme park!)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^I thought it was already established (i.e. As soon as he posted it) that Tom was being sarcastic...

Either way, it's still a money-grabbing idea, and Chessie are definitely getting barriers on BOTH carparks, the planning permission went through a few weeks back...