What's new

Megafobia Retracked.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Looks like Megaphobia is getting a lot of retracking this off season with 40% of the ride being redone by the Gravity Group

The first and second drop will be redone and reprofiled with the 1st drop becoming steeper as a result

An image from the European Coaster Clubs Members group can be seen here
FB_IMG_1674843808277.jpg

And if you happen to be a member more can be seen here https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialECCmembers/permalink/10161035428929101/

Marsden10002

Roller Poster
It definitely needed it. Visited for the after hours in Aug and it was dreadful. The amount of sway on the second lift hill was quite worrying.

I wouldn't of gone back to oakwood but I'll definitely give it a visit again IF they sort out the ride operations on it

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
This is amazing news! And the fact they're making the first drop steeper.

I firmly believe Oakwood are on the right track, investing in improving the park. Next step is the awful food they serve.

Niles

Giga Poster
Great news, im happy they are able to afford a retrack considering the incident last year, i hope we see more good investments over the coming years.

However with the UK woodies being either historic or brand new i dreamed that the only coaster that could receive an RMC makeover was Megafobia, then they would have something to really put them on the map. But to see them get anything is good news.

Ahhhh well we still have RMC Antelope which is definitely gonna happen 😅

Reactions: JMW

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Well this kinda came out of nowhere, didn't it? Who saw this coming? 😮
Only been once, probably about 12 years ago and currently had no intention of going back. I thought the place was on it's arse to be honest, where did they get the dollar for this? Does it mean there will be further investment on the way, or is this it for another 20 years?
So many questions...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Great news, im happy they are able to afford a retrack considering the incident last year, i hope we see more good investments over the coming years.

However with the UK woodies being either historic or brand new i dreamed that the only coaster that could receive an RMC makeover was Megafobia, then they would have something to really put them on the map. But to see them get anything is good news.

Ahhhh well we still have RMC Antelope which is definitely gonna happen 😅
Drayton... ;)

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Great news! It’s seemed like this ride has been quietly rotting away beyond repair, so it’s very reassuring that Gravity Group are able to give it a once over.

Keen to get on this once finished.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Wonderful and surprising news. Didn't think the park would be willing to pay out for this kind of thing.

Hopefully this'll make it more comfortable and keep it running for years to come.

supersion

Mega Poster
It's lovely to see work being done around the park, but I'm a little worried to see Spooky 3D completely stripped back to bare walls... only because the revamp budget is probably small, and there's only so much you can achieve! I hope I'm proved wrong and that they pull it off with some great theming! I just want to see Oakwood head in a positive direction, and I hope this might be all a part of turning a corner.

Going back to the topic, It seems progress is being made on Megafobia, with much of the first drop removed. They're also auctioning off parts of the track to raise money for 2 different charities... more information can be found on their website...

Oakwood Theme Park Update - Click Here

Piece 1 – Wales Air Ambulance
Megafobia, Left Hand Rail, Mid Drop track section
Includes all 8 layers of track stack, running and side steel and associated nails, bolts and screws.
Measures approximately 150cm and weighs approximately 60kgs

Piece 2 – Greenacres Rescue
Megafobia, Left Hand Rail, Mid Drop track section
Includes all 8 layers of track stack, running and side steel and associated nails, bolts and screws.
Measures approximately 125cm and weighs approximately 50kgs
Photo-74.jpg

Photo-75.jpg

Great to see positive work going on in Oakwood... I do wish the best for this park from having such fond memories of it in it's heyday, and I hope that things continually improve. I have always wondered with so much development and progress being made at the Bluestone Holiday Park by the original family owners next door, whether they would ever consider buying Oakwood back and creating a full holiday resort. Would be great to see that.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Shame those chunks are collection only.

It gives me hope really that they finally seem to have someone in charge who cares about the park's future. It's been rotting for what feels like years. Every time I would go home in the 2010s, I'd make a point of visiting. I've not been back now since... gosh, 2017?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I've not been back now since... gosh, 2017?
Nice to see you around the forums! Apart from one post announcing you'd be attending a cancelled Live (it was 2020), we last saw you here in 2018.

I choose to believe it is related to the state of Oakwood, somehow. In other words, I can't wait for them to rejuvenate the park!

bladeboy

Roller Poster
The park has seen such little investment over recent years so this is a good sign - along with the retheme of the dire Spooky 3D. The park has a long way to go though - most of the park needs refurbishment but the park is also lacking in rides. As things stand it’s not really a full day park.